Author Topic: Ranged weaponry  (Read 622 times)

Offline Umbra

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Krems, Freak Army of Gnjus
  • Game nicks: Umbra
Ranged weaponry
« on: September 18, 2013, 12:43:39 am »
As of late it seems that the ranged population is dwindling at the wake of the increase in cavalry and shield infantry. Playing ranged now is harder than ever, i urge people to try it before they judge it as "easy". The arrow weight increase was a mistake, a 18 agi shielder can catch up to almosty any archer and slaughter them en masse. Not to mention what the decreased maneuverability does when faced against a cav player.

For horse archers the damage is simply too low, i have seen tincans looking like pin cushions from HA fire and many arrows are doing such a low ammount of damage they arent even stunning/sticking in the enemy.

The throwing axe ammo nerf was a very hard blow for that weapon, basically rendering it almost useless. The ammo should be reversed to the original ammount of 4 because the damage is cut anyway, meaning that you have to expend even more ammo on any reasonably armored target, making you a glorified horse killer at most.

Its hard for many to be objective in this matter because deaths from ranged are very rage inducing, but if you try to look at it in an objective way the conclusion is that ranged should be buffed.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Palurgee

• Duke
  • Renown: 607
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: palurgee, brokeback_mountaineer, denarii
  • IRC nick: palurgee
Re: Ranged weaponry
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 01:08:25 am »
I don't know what cRPG you're playing but the one I'm playing involves ranged EVERYWHERE.

I rarely ever support buffs for the ranged classes because Mount & Blade is a game that is good because of the melee system, not the ranged system. In my opinion nothing is more fun than a sweat-inducing, mind numbing melee between myself and a player of similar skill. Blocks, feints, chambers, kicks, and nudges all come together in a beautiful symphony of clashes and clangs. Ranged, on the other hand, is nothing more than putting your cursor over a target then letting go of the mouse button. Sure it can be satisfying, but I don't see the appeal of it over melee. I'm not trying to offend ranged players as we all have different tastes in gameplay. I'm just saying that Warband is a game where melee is at center court and ranged is on the sidelines.

Offline Umbra

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Krems, Freak Army of Gnjus
  • Game nicks: Umbra
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 11:59:08 am »
+8
I respectfuly disagree, mount&blade is a medieval combat simulator and one cannot just exclude, diminish or say that one part of that experience is "on the sidelines". I was an admin on a melee only server and it failed because hardly anyone ever joined. People want the whole package not some 2h melee fest, besides you have Eu3 for that kind of gameplay.

Cav - Melee - Ranged should be balanced acordingly because every gameplay style is equally important for the feel of the game. Having said this i believe that the current balance is skewed towards the fromer 2.

Offline Strudog

• Marshall
  • Renown: 922
  • Infamy: 361
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • A Dog
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Britfag
  • Game nicks: Strudog
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 12:09:38 pm »
+1
i think i must of played every class in this game for a long time and i dont agree with you, ranged is not that hard, throwing doe decent damage and is lethal, i am one of those ones when i see a thrower i run for the hills.

Archery is hit and miss, i have posted 20+ kill scores with it, but have done it much less than melee, its ina good place right now, archers are feared, hence all the QQ threads but are easily countered through cav and shields. And i believe that the rise of cav and shield population was due to the massive hike in archer population due to the recent buff of non loomed bows and arrows. But like most things this just goes round in circles

EG:

more archers ---> more shielders ---> more cav ---> more pikemen ---> more 2h's ---> back to more archers.

IF you think HA's are bad now then you should have seen them before the recent buff to them, HA is class you need skill in to play, probably one of the harder classes, but that skill can really pay the rewards, HA is in no way UP atm. Ive played HA for many gens and to kill a tin can is no problem (just aim for the head)

This is the internet.
Men are men
Women are men
Little girls are FBI agents.
Those are the rules no?

Offline Thumper

• Count
  • Renown: 178
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • Steam: SecretTammo
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Folkvangr
  • Game nicks: Thumper, Tammo
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 03:13:03 am »
i think i must of played every class in this game for a long time and i dont agree with you, ranged is not that hard, throwing doe decent damage and is lethal, i am one of those ones when i see a thrower i run for the hills.

Archery is hit and miss, i have posted 20+ kill scores with it, but have done it much less than melee, its ina good place right now, archers are feared, hence all the QQ threads but are easily countered through cav and shields. And i believe that the rise of cav and shield population was due to the massive hike in archer population due to the recent buff of non loomed bows and arrows. But like most things this just goes round in circles

EG:

more archers ---> more shielders ---> more cav ---> more pikemen ---> more 2h's ---> back to more archers.

IF you think HA's are bad now then you should have seen them before the recent buff to them, HA is class you need skill in to play, probably one of the harder classes, but that skill can really pay the rewards, HA is in no way UP atm. Ive played HA for many gens and to kill a tin can is no problem (just aim for the head)

Circle of C-rpg

Offline Templar_Steevee

• Duke
  • Renown: 613
  • Infamy: 128
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew-pew for victory!!!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Steevee, Templar_catchArabbit, Gangtroll
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 05:32:37 pm »
Dmg from HA -> take bodkins ar tatar arrows and horn bow or yumi and problem is solved.

Nerfing archers running speed -> get accostumed to it or play x-bow, if you want to play archer still, learn how to trick cav. Cav is for killing archers so learn how to find them.

I know that playing an archer is not so easy atm. Learn how to use terrain and other things to be deadly, or at least usefull for your team.
If you want to learn something about archery, go and read my guide on forum in guide section. :)
Archer forever :D

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 09:56:07 pm »
Learn how to play archer with the weight nerf = neglet power strike and fill up on athlectics.

Offline Templar_Steevee

• Duke
  • Renown: 613
  • Infamy: 128
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew-pew for victory!!!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Steevee, Templar_catchArabbit, Gangtroll
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 10:07:45 pm »
7 ath is fine for archer, i have it, and it works for dodging cav and for moving on battlefield.
Archer forever :D

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 10:20:19 pm »
Yeah, That's what I mean.