Author Topic: balance the heavy lance  (Read 1336 times)

Offline Inglorious

• Earl
  • Renown: 497
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • Courage is our shield
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Banana Republic / Chevaliers
  • Game nicks: IngloriouslyBad / Affordable Cavalry
Re: balance the heavy lance
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2013, 04:13:36 pm »
In my mind it's still the best cav vs cav weapon, but that doesn't mean it should be worth twice as much as the lance (I use the lance btw), I personally think the lance is a better weapon and should be the more expensive one (or at least priced evenly).

are you speaking of pricing like the spetum corseque partisan ranseur? the difference in them is large in situational effectiveness and their prices are varied by an ammount

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2013, 04:52:49 pm »
No those new fangled weapons have never been on my screen before, so I have no idea about their pricing :P

I just think heavy lance should be closer to lance price because they both have their uses, but one is not superior to the other in all situations.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Inglorious

• Earl
  • Renown: 497
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • Courage is our shield
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Banana Republic / Chevaliers
  • Game nicks: IngloriouslyBad / Affordable Cavalry
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2013, 08:10:26 pm »
+1
No those new fangled weapons have never been on my screen before, so I have no idea about their pricing :P

I just think heavy lance should be closer to lance price because they both have their uses, but one is not superior to the other in all situations.

are you speaking of pricing like the spetum corseque partisan ranseur? the difference in them is large in situational effectiveness and their prices are varied by an ammount

Each below has it's own unique strengths. Each is measurably the same function; an infantry two directional attack/support pole arm.

However, they have different pricing, based upon each of their unique factors; i.e mixed cut/piece, blunt/pierce, pierce/pierce, cut/cut.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Where these weapons above are all similar but different, we can relate it to the difference in the cavalry tier polearms.

The Partisan, like the heavy lance, being the most expensive, is not necessarily the best. But it has it's functionality. It has high cut damage and can split shields in a heart beat with both it's thrust and overhead, making it a very useful weapon. It's price however I do not believe reflects its similar brothers, just like the heavy lance.

Light Lance, good for close up infantry fighting for extended periods, and precise quick bursts of high damage, not the choice weapon to take on heavy cavalry lancers, but with maneuver and skill can be a deadly counter to all other lances and cavalry. Least expensive of the mainstream lances.

Lance, balanced play between close up fighting and skirmishing, relatively high damage, quick. A good choice versus all forms of enemy and weaponry. Base relative price of main lance tier.

Heavy Lance, primarily a heavy skirmish weapon as it is very slow, but accurate, and relies on rider speed control to increase damage through timing of hit. Very long and slow to fire, making it not the best choice for extended periods of being stuck trotting in a crowd of infantry. In my opinion as I'm as you called it an "old school" style lancer, requires the most patience and skill to master. Highest price of all lances.

Keep in mind I do not include couching in this. All my analysis is thrust based. I don't believe in couching in a head to head cavalry duel. It's... dishonorable in my opinion. Against infantry however, it's fair game if you can manage it while keeping your horse alive. But that would open up a whole new post for me to go into detail over, so I'll stick to thrust damage in this one.

I'd prefer to see either one or both of these options in attempt to balance the heavy lance:

A damage increase of [1] on the heavy lance
Or
A price reduction of the heavy lance to relate to its set "rank" in the lance tier
^
Based upon how often it's used vs others/effectiveness/ambiguous community value of the weapon
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 08:43:46 pm by IngloriouslyBad »