Author Topic: *New Server* Na_Public  (Read 11258 times)

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
Re: *New Server* Na_Public
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2013, 08:16:16 pm »
I get 9 aswell :)

Then I guess you have a good reason to have it in your neighborhood then. Still, bad form on the part of the powers that be to have all of the server options in the same geographical area. People looking for a server with better ping (and therefore better playability) are still fucked and this removes one very good reason why someone might switch to your server.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline TheAppleSauceMan

• Duke
  • Renown: 553
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • dear god I hate throwers
    • View Profile
    • Look and you'll enjoy.
  • Faction: Dracul, RUFF RYDERS
  • Game nicks: Dracul_AppleSauce_FieldBauss | Wiff Khalifa | U_Having_A_Giggle_M8
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2013, 08:45:03 pm »
Then I guess you have a good reason to have it in your neighborhood then. Still, bad form on the part of the powers that be to have all of the server options in the same geographical area. People looking for a server with better ping (and therefore better playability) are still fucked and this removes one very good reason why someone might switch to your server.

This. I love the idea of new servers but I really don't see the point in playing this rather then the others when my ping is gonna be shit at both places.....we need a west coast server. Or at least something that caters more to people on the west coast, I can guarantee you'd get plenty of people playing then. Regardless though, glad to see a new server and I hope it only grows from here!  :D
I'm rock, nerf paper, scissors is fine. Welcome to c-RPG.

Offline naruto12900

• Knight
  • Renown: 35
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2013, 09:11:13 pm »

Most of the chunk of players get good pings from Chicago that's why we chose it.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 12:38:58 am by naruto12900 »

Offline Lorden

• Noble
  • Renown: 18
  • Infamy: 34
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2013, 11:53:52 pm »
I look forward to seeing it.

Is it possible for there to be ladders?

It's not possible to use strat ladders outside of strat, as that aspect is controlled by the actual devs, not server owners. It's possible to have 'melee only' nights however :D

Offline Lorden

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 12:04:06 am »
+1

I understand where you're coming from, but Chicago is a pretty central location for North America, which is why most servers are hosted there. I'd love to have the server in Montreal, and I'm sure all the Occitan and Chevalier guys would love it too, but people from Texas might decide not to play if they get 80+ ping. It's about getting the best ping for the biggest slice of players.

Offline TheAppleSauceMan

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Look and you'll enjoy.
  • Game nicks: Dracul_AppleSauce_FieldBauss | Wiff Khalifa | U_Having_A_Giggle_M8
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 10:09:58 pm »
I understand where you're coming from, but Chicago is a pretty central location for North America, which is why most servers are hosted there. I'd love to have the server in Montreal, and I'm sure all the Occitan and Chevalier guys would love it too, but people from Texas might decide not to play if they get 80+ ping. It's about getting the best ping for the biggest slice of players.

This is not the time for valid points or logic damnit!

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2013, 04:23:03 am »
+2

I don't think the actual data would back you up there. Dallas gets just as good a ping for just as many players, but for a different geographically located group of players. In point of fact, 3 of the 4 largest states in the Union get better ping to Dallas. (California, Texas, and Florida). That's 26% of the U.S. population in those 3 states alone. That doesn't include the rest of the Southeast and Southwest that all get better pings to Dallas. Draw a line from the Georgia/South Carolina border up to the middle of Montana and everything south and west of that line gets a better ping to Dallas. The rest just north of that line wouldn't see much of a difference in their ping at all, except Chicago of course, and the Northeast would get the same ping that California currently does to Chicago. (the largest state in the union with as many people as Texas and Illinois combined or more than the entire population of Canada)

Seriously, if the guy who owns the server is in Chicago, well obviously that's where he wants it. But don't try spreading this false premise that "more people get better ping to Chicago". Facts get in your way of that. Yes, I know all about routing != physical distance. Dallas is just as much of a major hub as Chicago and the routing goes there from those states as it does to Chicago and the connections follow.

And oh yeah, we already have servers in Chicago, so it isn't a matter of who gets the pie and who doesn't. Its a matter of who already has pie and is now getting MORE pie.  :?
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Andy

• Count
  • Renown: 274
  • Infamy: 253
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Snow_King
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2013, 06:14:37 am »
It's not possible to use strat ladders outside of strat, as that aspect is controlled by the actual devs, not server owners. It's possible to have 'melee only' nights however :D
Strat Ladders? Maybe you havn't been playing cRPG very long, so I will explain this to you. They are not Strat Ladders. They used to be usable in all battle modes. Only recently were they taken out of regular modes and restricted to strat.

Offline Lorden

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2013, 08:23:31 pm »
I've  been playing cRPG for coming on to 3 years now. I call them strat ladders to differentiate them from the static ladders that can be found on siege maps. The restriction of them to strat battles is not something that can be toggled by server administrators.

Also, I dont want a Dallas server because I'm in Montreal :P

Offline Lorden

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2013, 10:47:18 am »
Please not that due to delays in getting the server connected to the database and creative differences, I've seperated myself from this project.

Offline TheAppleSauceMan

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Look and you'll enjoy.
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2013, 12:50:44 am »
Did this ever come about?

Offline naruto12900

• Knight
  • Renown: 35
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2013, 08:17:47 pm »
No but it can be i just need some people to work on it, beacuse it was never connected.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2013, 08:22:27 pm »
And it never will be

Not being a dick, but Meow announced (in some forum post) that no new servers will be connected to the database. 

http://forum.melee.org/announcements/get-your-server-connected-to-the-database-%28xpgold%29/
 - Stolen from Macropussy