Author Topic: Low-end computer performance thread  (Read 4771 times)

Kulin_ban

Low-end computer performance thread
« on: July 27, 2012, 09:26:11 pm »
As I've understood, cmp is trying to optimize beta client that only uses "dx9" setting, so that it would be playable for all(most) people who use "dx7" in non-beta client. I am one of those people for who the dx9 option is unplayable.

In this thread I will try to write my observations on how new beta releases affect my performance.

Graphics card is: Ati Mobility Radeon x1400 (dual core intel cpu laptop with 2.5gb ddr2 ram)
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
All settings lowest possible, textures on 30%

Version 26.07.12
(click to show/hide)
All settings lowest possible, textures on normal
(click to show/hide)

Version 27.07.13
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
All settings lowest possible, textures on normal
(click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 10:26:07 pm by Kulin_ban »

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1337
  • Infamy: 2201
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
Re: Low-end computer performance thread
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 09:36:12 pm »
- unplayable

What does this mean?

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 591
  • Infamy: 2188
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 09:43:33 pm »
I have between 10 (at spawn), 35 (while I'm running in huge group) and 30-100 fps most of the time. Frame drops are between 20-30 sometimes. I wouldn't call that unplayable because I can block fine.

I do have a slight headache however but that has something to do with a fact that I'm playing/looking at screen a lot during last few days. Even with stable 100 fps my head would hurt because of monitor backlight.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 2190
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 09:54:24 pm »
I know what you're talking about. It's just that I'm used to all that stuff. I can understand that someone doesn't want to play like that but it's not unplayable and you certainly can block decently.

I did play cRPG under a lot worse conditions for six months and during that time I was being top on scoreboard more than I wasn't.

Currently playing on that Pirate Fortress map, having between 20-40 fps but blocking just fine. Sometimes frame skips and get hit but many things in cRPG are random so idc.

It's not pleasant and not for everyone but playing with low fps doesn't mean you're gimped.

Offline Lech

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 10:01:24 pm »
Turn shaders off ? (abysmal ?) Play with config ?

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 11:17:45 pm »
I'm getting similar FPS to dx7 in dx9 (in lowest settings), only that there seems to be a DELAY when i look around. As if the screen is always many frames behind input.

Nvidia 9800m GT here. Max pre-rendered frames is set to 1. Win7 ultimate 32-bit. This also happens in native cRPG and normal native.. Nothing new with the launcher here.

Anyone have an idea what causes this? It basically makes the game unplayable in DX9, something which would fuck me up bad if DX9 gets forced.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 11:58:32 pm »
I'm getting similar FPS to dx7 in dx9 (in lowest settings), only that there seems to be a DELAY when i look around. As if the screen is always many frames behind input.

Nvidia 9800m GT here. Max pre-rendered frames is set to 1. Win7 ultimate 32-bit. This also happens in native cRPG and normal native.. Nothing new with the launcher here.

Anyone have an idea what causes this? It basically makes the game unplayable in DX9, something which would fuck me up bad if DX9 gets forced.

It sounds like an issue with your laptop/drivers, tbh. I have a laptop with the same graphics card, and I can play in medium/high DX9 without any problems.
I mean, it makes sense with Kulin's x1400 (I have an x1600 laptop and it's similarly unplayable), but a 9800m gt should be more then able to handle DX9.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 12:28:58 am by cmpxchg8b »

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 03:17:57 am »
Yeah, its weird.. I played Fallout 3 without much problems ffs :)

Did some more testing today, and by fiddling with the nvidia settings I got rid of the screen panning/input lag. Still got highly unstable fps though..

Maybe I will try some new drivers for my 9800m gt..

Just to add smth.. I've been playing with and resizing the textures in cRPG (and warband). some of them are absurdly huge compared to the others. (4000x4000)

Would it be an idea to standardize texture sizes? Would it help performance?

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline cmp

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 02:27:21 pm »
Because it doesn't really make a difference. In fact, I used some performance measuring tools and the GPU seems to do quite fine - it's actually faster in my DX9 mode (70k µs) than in DX7 mode (76k µs).
The problem has to be somewhere else (CPU? RAM? VRAM?), it makes sense because the whole "alt-tabbing to firefox takes 20 minutes" doesn't really sound like something caused by the GPU.
Since both our laptops have a ridiculously low amount of VRAM (258MB and 128MB) I'm gonna start by trying to see what happens if I reduce memory usage drastically.

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 07:04:02 pm »
I've got 512mb vram.. :P

Play Fallout 3 and X3 fine.. Just warband/crpg act up. I did at some point install some non-apple (bootcamp) approved video drivers, but they only increased performance. I also did tons of research on that.. hmm :) I'll test further, maybe revert to standard drivers and check my settings. Could also be my pirated win7 for all i know.

Offline Lech

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 10:13:12 am »
As you can see in the video all the settings are to lowest, except textures which are on low.

Try turning load texture on demand off. Also, turn off normals and speculars (put 0 instead of 2 in config). Done it for me. (on client with .13 in name, 2 days ago if i remember correctly).

Offline cmp

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 01:17:13 pm »
Also, turn off normals and speculars (put 0 instead of 2 in config).

That doesn't turn off normals and specular, it changes filtering (0 = no filtering, 1 = point filtering, 2 = linear filtering, 3 = anisotropic filtering, only if enabled). It doesn't really make a difference on Abysmal (and probably Low as well), because the shaders there don't use normals and speculars already.

Offline Lech

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 09:01:52 pm »
Any chance skin shaders can cause the stuttering ? Because when i am near (lod 1 or lod 2 distance, or transition, dunno) the game stutter way more near people who use no helmet or open helmet (one with show face, even some closed helmets show face through visors). Is there option to turn off faces at all other than changing every helmet ?