Author Topic: Tomas Miles maps  (Read 4387 times)

Offline Tomas_of_Miles

• Count
  • Renown: 263
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
  • Inactive
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rusty mercenary siege engineer
  • Game nicks: Something with Tomas in it
Tomas Miles maps
« on: April 15, 2012, 04:46:28 am »
+8
Annoying Bandit Lair
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 04:48:21 am by Tomas_of_Miles »
Professional poop cleaner

Offline Tomas_of_Miles

• Count
  • cRPG Player
  • Inactive
    • View Profile
Re: Tomas Miles maps
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 07:34:22 am »
Plenty of hidey holes for those sneaky fellas, and three completely different places for MoTF. Sorry cav, not really a map for horses.

Offline larlek

• Baron
  • Renown: 140
  • Infamy: 95
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Larlik PooperScooper Larlek
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 10:18:10 am »
Looks fun. Better than most of the cookie cutter maps that being played atm. I look forward to playing it.

Offline Teeth

• Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 12:03:38 pm »
I'm afraid these type of maps always end up in hide and seek matches towards the end of the round, but I'm glad that there is a new mapmaker!

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • Renown: 454
  • Infamy: 367
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard, ex Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Mlekce, Sergius
  • IRC nick: Mlekce
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 04:48:42 pm »
Plenty of hidey holes for those sneaky fellas, and three completely different places for MoTF. Sorry cav, not really a map for horses.

but,but,but why? :cry:

Offline Tomas_of_Miles

• Count
  • cRPG Player
  • Inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 04:56:20 pm »
+2
I really wanted to make an internal map that's all. I could make a cav map. Or maybe I should make a cav friendly siege map!  :mrgreen:

Offline Tomas_Miles_again

• Earl
  • Renown: 317
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: None
  • Game nicks: None anymore
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 07:29:23 pm »
Since this is a different forum account I'll be posting new stuff here.

Auld Town

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 10:01:57 pm by Tomas_Miles_again »

Offline Teeth

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 11:33:17 am »
Hey, I checked out your map. There is just a problem with the concept of dungeon maps and the battle server, because cavalry and archers basically just GTX. Dungeon maps are extremely infantry focused and just not fun, or even impossible to play for some other classes. My job as a scene manager is doing all I can to improve the cRPG experience for everyone as much as I can using maps, and closed dungeon maps do not fit in there, at least not on battle. We do have Iron Mine in the rotation, which has an open area around it and is quite playable as cav, but that is as far as I am willing to go.

I had a look anyway and it is quite well made. Liked some of the visual touches you did with some day light coming in and the balcony. The well of doom is cool as well, but maybe wouldn't pose much of a danger at all in its current location. There are some additional problems though besides the concept of a dungeon map not really working for battle. The map is very complex, with lots of corridors and height levels. People would simply get lost, especially because the corridors all look a like. Rounds would take ages because people would circle eachother or hide. Lots of dead end rooms and corners. Now this is just a thing with building props in Warband in general, they often have one entrance. Which makes them quite risky to use in a battle map, because you're going to see XP barn things. Or maulers camping causing very long and boring rounds.

You generally want a battle round to consist of as much fighting as you can, and as little walking or being lost as you can. Both for general gameplay and the people that died early and are waiting. To achieve this you want to keep battle maps fairly straightforward, you should be able to find the enemy quite easily. Avoid creating camping spots by always having multiple entrances.

I hope this doesn't put you off mapping more, scene management will try to be more responsive to new submissions so if you decide to have another go at it, it might see the light of the server a lot quicker than before. If you are planning to incorporate dungeon corridors in a map, it is vital that it is combined with more open areas, so partly indoor and partly outdoor to prevent people quitting because they cant play the map.

Offline Tomas_Miles_again

• Earl
  • Renown: 317
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: None
  • Game nicks: None anymore
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 08:50:32 pm »
Ah thanks for the feedback! Much appreciated. I'll think of a new concept, quite bent on using the interior parts but I understand that a more open design would be better. I think maybe a surface-level barely-there ruin with intact catacombs could work.

Offline Erzengel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 769
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Norse_Erzengel
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 11:45:23 am »
Hey, I checked out your map. There is just a problem with the concept of dungeon maps and the battle server, because cavalry and archers basically just GTX. Dungeon maps are extremely infantry focused and just not fun, or even impossible to play for some other classes.

So they are as bad for cav and ranged as open plain maps are for infantry? :P

Offline Teeth

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 12:11:07 pm »
Surely a cav guy in a dungeon with stairs and 2 meter wide corridors has a little more trouble playing then an infantry guy in an open field. The belief that open plain maps are cav fests get countered almost everytime I play it, as usually infantry has much more cohesion than on more closed maps and cavalry have trouble picking people off safely. Crossbows are the only class that gets fucked by flat open field maps, but they are OP anyway so no one cares.

If any mapmakers feel inclined to do so, the current battle rotation is starting to edge somewhat towards too much closed maps, so people making open maps are much appreciated. Usually people tend to make more urban or closed maps because making an open map is so simple, but that is quite okay. Maps don't have to be super complex or groundbreaking.

Offline Erzengel

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2013, 01:34:06 pm »
Surely a cav guy in a dungeon with stairs and 2 meter wide corridors has a little more trouble playing then an infantry guy in an open field. The belief that open plain maps are cav fests get countered almost everytime I play it, as usually infantry has much more cohesion than on more closed maps and cavalry have trouble picking people off safely. Crossbows are the only class that gets fucked by flat open field maps, but they are OP anyway so no one cares.

If any mapmakers feel inclined to do so, the current battle rotation is starting to edge somewhat towards too much closed maps, so people making open maps are much appreciated. Usually people tend to make more urban or closed maps because making an open map is so simple, but that is quite okay. Maps don't have to be super complex or groundbreaking.

Well, nobody forces cavalry players to ride a horse in a dungeon. ;) They can just dismount and fight as infantry. Only a small disadvantage. Same as having no cover as infantry.

Offline Nordwolf

• Earl
  • Renown: 492
  • Infamy: 46
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Nordwolf, 4 other Nordwolfs, Wolf_in_the_Van Victory, Earngrim, Core, Farewell, Akaio_BlackSpear +**
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2013, 11:47:45 pm »
Yeah, HA can dismount, couch lance builds, yeah, of course Erzengel :D

Offline Erzengel

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 02:15:57 am »
+1
I don't see a problem when horse archers and lance cav have to fight on the ground for a single map. Your own problem if you use a weird build with zero athletics. Map rotation shouldn't encourage such extreme builds. Most balanced cavalry builds only have a small disadvantage - like infantry on open plain maps. Some more variety in the map cycle would be nice.

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2013, 08:46:13 am »
+1
I don't think we should rule out playing on these dungeon style maps. It is a whole type of fighting were cutting ourselves off from. I would love to see maps like this in rotation as someone who is always infantry. Having this in the rotation where it comes up occasionally surely cant be THAT BAD for cav.... one map. It would be a welcome change from field battle after field battle where cav clearly has the advantage.