Author Topic: Long Bow Penetration study  (Read 1163 times)

Offline ponyboy

• Noble
  • Renown: 10
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ponyboy_BRD
Long Bow Penetration study
« on: February 06, 2012, 07:31:05 pm »
+1
Here is something I stumbled across looking for info on English long bow penetration versus armor.  All the information on this topic I've found up until this has seemed inaccurate, incomplete, and generally leaves much wanting (Shows including this topic I've seen on the history channel have been pretty bad for starters). 

Many people seem to draw conclusions on the subject based on the first you tube video they see of someone shooting an arrow at a sheet of metal. Or a video of someone shooting at "banded mail".  It seems like banded mail is an armor that may not have even been used historically and is an extremely weak modern reproduction of mail, that meets the cosmetic needs.  So It's refreshing to see something with a lot of detail in it.   I'm wont claim to be an expert on the matter but this seems like a  more thorough study than I've come across before:

http://www.currentmiddleages.org/artsci/docs/Champ_Bane_Archery-Testing.pdf

This guy seems to be very knowledgeable.  Very interesting.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 03:54:57 am by ponyboy »

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
Re: Long Bow Penetration study
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 08:40:26 pm »
It seems like a very fair and thought-out test.  Interesting results!!

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 04:14:58 am »
Intersesting to say the least, goes with what I though about armor and shit, padding is important!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline ponyboy

• Noble
  • Renown: 10
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ponyboy_BRD
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 03:38:40 am »
Also, If the guys math is correct and his study duplicates the power of period English longbow hits from 200 yards, then imagine what they are capable of even closer? That I'd like to see too.  Also the clay deformation from the impacts where the arrow didn't penetrate the armor shows just how much power that thing could have.

It gives me perspective of what those french infantry at Agincourt must have experienced.   Even though arrows likely didn't penetrate many parts of their armor, on top of everything else they must have been severely banged up from arrow impacts on their armor before making contact with the English line.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 03:55:05 am by ponyboy »

Offline Mosquito

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 12:21:48 am »
Anyone interested in the longbow typically used by the English and Welsh longbowmen should search out the book 'Secrets of the English War bow' by Hugh D.H.Soar. This book looks at the subject from numerous angles, including range and penetration of several armour types with numerous arrowhead types including bodkins. Its a good read and also looks at construction issues, availability of the English Yew for instance and substitution of inferior materials.

They also look at the effect of shooting at a 'charging horse' with a longbow.