Author Topic: Hard level cap -- serious suggestion  (Read 6564 times)

Offline CtrlAltDe1337

• Knight
  • Renown: 31
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
  • Victoria aut mors
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ATS / Northern Empire
  • Game nicks: Kataphraktos, Muffins, CtrlAltDelete, Haleth
Hard level cap -- serious suggestion
« on: January 04, 2011, 04:07:25 pm »
Well I just wrote up a nice long post but the forum decided to eat it :(  So I'll make this a bit briefer.

The main reason I am suggesting this is because of the current retirement system.  People who have retired >10 times are now grinding like mad trying to rank up as fast as they can while they still have the bonus.  They know (and rightfully) that this will allow them to keep ahead of the curve after the patch comes out and it becomes harder to get past lvl 30.  They will basically be permanently ahead of the curve.  I don't think this is what chadz intended/intends for things to be like, but unless I am mistaken it will happen.  I suggest a hard level cap of lvl 40 (maybe less) to go along with the patch.  That's enough to make a nice customized character (which is what cRPG is all about, right?), but not enough to make an overpowered uber lvl 60 super-fast, super-strong, plate wearing horse archer. 
Quote from: IRC
<abearirl>crtlaltdel shut up | you are the worst | sperglord | i hate you so much | if i could ban goatee or ban you | i'd ban you
<Wylker|work>man if i was locked in a bunker with einstein, stalin, and CtrlAltDelete and had a gun with only 2 bullets | I'd shoot CtrlAltDelete twice

Offline Allers

• Count
  • Renown: 292
  • Infamy: 134
  • cRPG Player
  • Ca$hville
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ca$hville Records, Ruff Ryders
  • Game nicks: Allers, Young Buck, DMX
  • IRC nick: Allers
Re: Hard level cap -- serious suggestion
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 04:09:21 pm »
Well I just wrote up a nice long post but the forum decided to eat it :(  So I'll make this a bit briefer.

The main reason I am suggesting this is because of the current retirement system.  People who have retired >10 times are now grinding like mad trying to rank up as fast as they can while they still have the bonus.  They know (and rightfully) that this will allow them to keep ahead of the curve after the patch comes out and it becomes harder to get past lvl 30.  They will basically be permanently ahead of the curve.  I don't think this is what chadz intended/intends for things to be like, but unless I am mistaken it will happen.  I suggest a hard level cap of lvl 40 (maybe less) to go along with the patch.  That's enough to make a nice customized character (which is what cRPG is all about, right?), but not enough to make an overpowered uber lvl 60 super-fast, super-strong, plate wearing horse archer.

Personally I think if they've played that long to get those stats they deserve it :D
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 04:15:54 pm by Allers »
Ca$hville 615

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 04:22:25 pm »
The xp bonus is still there, but it's lowered to 10% per generation instead of the current exponential bonus.

As for the hard level cap, personally I'm really in favour of a hard cap at 35 (actually I'd say less, but people would whine to no end) and "soft" cap at about 30. You can customize your character decently well by level 25. Above that, it's just adding extra power.

Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline BlackGyver

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • What's up white girl ?
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vendredi (formerly), Ninja_BlackGyver, Polydextrose_Bonbon, Professeur_Tournesol, Marc_Assin
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 05:01:29 pm »
Not sure about the hard cap. We'll have a lvl 30 soft cap in the next patch, and, right now, you need more than 125 Million XP to reach level 50 (and that will drastically increase in the next patch). But yeah, if they actually spent countless hours trying to reach some high level, why putting a hard cap at level 30, or 35 ?

If a hard cap was needed, put it at 40. People wanting to advance their character spending nights on it would still be able to do it, with limits.

Offline CtrlAltDe1337

• Knight
  • Renown: 31
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
  • Victoria aut mors
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ATS / Northern Empire
  • Game nicks: Kataphraktos, Muffins, CtrlAltDelete, Haleth
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 05:09:42 pm »
I don't think you are seeing the big issue.  People with the current xp bonus are gonna grind so high that, after the bonus gets nerfed, it won't matter; they will already be so far ahead that nobody but chinese gold farmers could hope to catch up.  I don't think chadz is going to retroactively change the old bonus.
Quote from: IRC
<abearirl>crtlaltdel shut up | you are the worst | sperglord | i hate you so much | if i could ban goatee or ban you | i'd ban you
<Wylker|work>man if i was locked in a bunker with einstein, stalin, and CtrlAltDelete and had a gun with only 2 bullets | I'd shoot CtrlAltDelete twice

Offline bruce

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 05:17:42 pm »
I don't think you are seeing the big issue.  People with the current xp bonus are gonna grind so high that, after the bonus gets nerfed, it won't matter; they will already be so far ahead that nobody but chinese gold farmers could hope to catch up.  I don't think chadz is going to retroactively change the old bonus.

You will lose most of your XP however. For instance, a level 27 become a level 21, I heard about a guy who after recalculating was level 31 and he's now level 40something.
Best ban reason ever:
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Espu

• The good
  • Count
  • Renown: 261
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Espu
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 05:39:28 pm »
I'm all for hard cap at 30. Eventually some people with enough time are going to grind their char to a level way above the soft cap of 30 and omgwtfdestroy everyone. That's just boring. Of course if the xp curve really goes sky-high after 30+ it's fine, but then you could just call it a semi-hard cap.

Offline RandomDude

• Earl
  • Renown: 431
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • I play now! but I suck =(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RandomDude
  • IRC nick: RandomDude
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 05:43:57 pm »
You will lose most of your XP however. For instance, a level 27 become a level 21, I heard about a guy who after recalculating was level 31 and he's now level 40something.

i dont think u "lose" the xp, it just devalues, like money in post world war 1 germany

so if u have some guy grinding to 10mil xp before the patch, getting him lvl 45 or w/e, he will still have 10 mil xp after the patch but only lvl 37, something like that

basically if there's no xp bonus for retiring post-patch, they're doing as much work as they can now to make sure they get as much as they can

the only problem i can se with this complaint is that every time you retire your xp gets reset to 0 anyway so the guys who never retired and still have all that sick strategus xp are really the ones who will have more xp imo

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 05:44:22 pm »
I say hard cap 35, soft cap 30. At 35 you can have the best horse and still be ludicriously strong as an infantry. These should be rare. At the same time, killing someone who is level 35 when you are in your 20s is completely reasonable.

Also, players won't be able to hit the "WTFBBQ!" attack speed spammitar rate at 35.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Roran Hawkins

• Knight
  • Renown: 46
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hedge Knight
  • Game nicks: Roran
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 05:47:51 pm »
I say hard cap 35, soft cap 30. At 35 you can have the best horse and still be ludicriously strong as an infantry. These should be rare. At the same time, killing someone who is level 35 when you are in your 20s is completely reasonable.

Also, players won't be able to hit the "WTFBBQ!" attack speed spammitar rate at 35.

I agree, if the hard cap is lower, we as cavalry must choose between being archerbait or infantrybait.

Offline Reinhardt

• Count
  • Renown: 274
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusaders of Acre
  • IRC nick: Reinhardt
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 05:58:32 pm »
Personally I think if they've played that long to get those stats they deserve it :D

That's a horrible idea. People who play cRPG obviously have a bonus, but making a level cap is great. the WPF bonus should be taken out of retirement as well, THAT'S why you see plated archers. Something should be put in its place though.
"A leader is a dealer in hope."

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 06:04:47 pm »
Why not create a hard cap at 35, soft cap at 30, and the highest levels would grant only gold bonuses of some sort?  That way, the reward for getting to the highest levels is that it becomes increasingly about having less stress about armour/weapons upkeep.  Also, post-patch, people may find it easier to buy more interesting weapons and armour which they wouldn't otherwise take the time/gold to try (e.g. scary bardiche, masterwork butcher's knife).  I'd prefer a greater variety of infantry classes than the standard:

- the scimitar and shield
- the heavily armoured knight with a flamberge/sword of tears
- the dismounted heavy cavalry archer that can also pull out a wicked fast flamberge
- the knight wielding a German poleaxe or an elegant poleaxe with a steel shield for arrows

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 06:31:12 pm »
Hard cap should be at lvl 31. Then you can still convert some extra skill points or use them for skills. At 30 you can convert and be 1 point short for something which would suck.

Offline bruce

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 06:53:46 pm »
Hard cap should be at lvl 31. Then you can still convert some extra skill points or use them for skills. At 30 you can convert and be 1 point short for something which would suck.

Good point. level 31 enables 18/18 stats with no point conversions, so you could go higher by sacrificing skillpoints... and 18/18 is really solid. 31 hardcap sounds like a good idea to me.

Best ban reason ever:

Offline Viceroy

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Shihan, Valgard_the_Grim
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 06:59:00 pm »
Totally agree with 31 as well. I have been playing a "balanced" character (thrower/1h and shield), and when I am at lvl 30 my agility is 17 and my str is 18. At 31 I can put 1 more point into PTWM,
and if I have a skill point saved I can also put 1 more into PSATH.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 07:23:10 pm by Viceroy »