Author Topic: Open Field Battle  (Read 21930 times)

Offline Beans

• Knight
  • Renown: 49
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: USA
  • Game nicks: USA_MEATMERCHANT_AMERICA
Re: Open Field Battle
« Reply #135 on: July 30, 2011, 08:24:59 pm »
I'm not arguing whether the spawn system needs to be changed or not.  I'm arguing that the attackers had just as fair as a chance as the defenders.

Erm the whole reason that everyone is upset is because the attackers and defenders do not have an equal chance. Hence the 3 days of complete slaughter for attackers in almost all of those battles.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #136 on: July 30, 2011, 08:25:47 pm »
Erm the whole reason that everyone is upset is because the attackers and defenders do not have an equal chance. Hence the 3 days of complete slaughter for attackers in almost all of those battles.

And I'm saying that the attackers had the same opportunity.  They had everyone spawned in by the time our infantry marched over the hill.  Maybe the map needs to be larger on the battle maps.  They had an equal chance as the defenders, the defenders were highly organized.  The attackers were not.  What do you expect when you have a massive player base with half of them being trolls trying to fight a highly organized alliance?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 08:26:55 pm by CrazyCracka420 »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #137 on: July 30, 2011, 08:30:29 pm »
+1
And I'm saying that the attackers had the same opportunity.  They had everyone spawned in by the time our infantry marched over the hill.  Maybe the map needs to be larger on the battle maps.  They had an equal chance as the defenders, the defenders were highly organized.  The attackers were not.  What do you expect when you have a massive player base with half of them being trolls trying to fight a highly organized alliance?

For 3 days the attackers in just about every battle were a disorganised rabble and the defenders super soldiers?

PS: Tunnel vision is bad
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 08:31:54 pm by Overdriven »

Offline Gumdrawp

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: dolphin fan club
  • Game nicks: Gumdrawp_dfc
« Reply #138 on: July 30, 2011, 08:31:57 pm »
No, you guys are bitching and complaining that you were beaten because it was "unfair" playing conditions.  You had every single opportunity that we did.  You bitched and complained about specific points.  I destroyed your points.  Now you resort to talking shit.  Good argumentative skills you have there.

And I'm saying that the attackers had the same opportunity.  They had everyone spawned in by the time our infantry marched over the hill.  Maybe the map needs to be larger on the battle maps.

clearly and the goons will forever maintain control of the desert becuase of their superior tactics used against every "unorganized peasant" that dares to attack until the spawns change.

Ask pecores/shogunate/templars about their battles this morning, im sure theyre just as upset as we are.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #139 on: July 30, 2011, 08:37:52 pm »
For 3 days the attackers in just about every battle were a disorganised rabble and the defenders super soldiers?

PS: Tunnel vision is bad

I can only speak from my personal experience in dfc attacking ats.  I was on ATS side and at 60 seconds after we started spawning, we all mass re-spawned on our spawn point.  60 seconds after that respawn the entire dfc side was spawned in.  At this point I was within eyesight of their spawn and they had a massive infantry force around their spawn with cav circling.  So complaints that the battle was unfair are not based on reality.  It's possible that when our side respawned 60 seconds in, that was just an admin respawning us (and this didn't happen in other battles), I don't know, I've never been in a battle before.  I can only speak from my personal experience.

clearly and the goons will forever maintain control of the desert becuase of their superior tactics used against every "unorganized peasant" that dares to attack until the spawns change.

Ask pecores/shogunate/templars about their battles this morning, im sure theyre just as upset as we are.

Like I said above and before, I don't know if those battles were the same as dfc vs ats.  if they were, then I don't see anything unfair.  if one side got a full 60 seconds to attack before the other starts spawning, then obviously it's something that the developers should change.  I didn't see that in our battle though.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Xol!

• Earl
  • Renown: 428
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Xol_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: Xol
« Reply #140 on: July 30, 2011, 08:44:53 pm »
I don't know, I've never been in a battle before.  I can only speak from my personal experience.

Which is what, exactly?  Nothing?  You just admitted that this is your first battle, so you don't even know how they work.  Your only experience is with an experimental spawn system that didn't perform as planned.
boop

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
« Reply #141 on: July 30, 2011, 09:12:53 pm »
I can only speak from my personal experience in dfc attacking ats.  I was on ATS side and at 60 seconds after we started spawning, we all mass re-spawned on our spawn point.  60 seconds after that respawn the entire dfc side was spawned in.  At this point I was within eyesight of their spawn and they had a massive infantry force around their spawn with cav circling.  So complaints that the battle was unfair are not based on reality.

One difference in that battle might have been that there was a longer distance to the other faction and you where on foot holding shields, while the most other had at least a few cav that were at the enemy within seconds.

Also in the video of your battle it seems as if the defender is still spawning or just have finished spawing when you arrived at him. So there is almost no time for the defender to set up any formation with all its soldiers. That IS a big disadvantage, hence the fact that always the attacker gets into a defensive position right after start which is just stupid.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 09:14:01 pm by dodnet »
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Gumdrawp

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: dolphin fan club
  • Game nicks: Gumdrawp_dfc
« Reply #142 on: July 30, 2011, 09:20:03 pm »
One difference in that battle might have been that there was a longer distance to the other faction and you where on foot holding shields, while the most other had at least a few cav that were at the enemy within seconds.

Also in the video of your battle it seems as if the defender is still spawning or just have finished spawing when you arrived at him. So there is almost no time for the defender to set up any formation with all its soldiers. That IS a big disadvantage, hence the fact that always the attacker gets into a defensive position right after start which is just stupid.

oh hey look, common sense  :idea:. I personally don't even care that much about losing our shit as of right now. I'm more upset that chadz doesn't think that its an issue that a team is capable of winning before the other team completely spawns (see LLJK vs whatever the third battle this morning was) we took their spawn when ~25 of them had actually spawned. The current system turns every attacking party into defenders currently unless there are barriers between the spawns as is the case with castles and cities or the spawn is an extremely long distance ( >120 seconds on foot) away from the defenders spawn.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 09:23:01 pm by Gumdrawp »

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #143 on: July 31, 2011, 12:25:47 am »
Cav may have already gotten there (though from what I've heard they were just scouting) but nobody really died until the infantry got there.  The orders, in fact, were for the cav to charge when the infantry lines were about to meet.

In Zanthos' video it shows how the dfc team had 30 full seconds to spawn their last 7 guys before the infantry lines met.

I'm with most people in that I think there need to be some changes, but we shouldn't have an overly distorted view of what went on in this particular battle: 1) some equipment didn't spawn and 2) defenders spawned a few seconds (20?) too early than was fair.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 12:27:49 am by Diomedes »

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 31, 2011, 12:35:19 am »
What's unfair is that the battle lines meet directly in front of Attacker spawn if the Defender's move up to meet the army, and all it takes is such schmuck with a shield to waltz in and tap F in the middle of the melee to screw over thousands of tickets worth of gear and planning.  Huck about all the NE organization you want but there was no way for us to decide the fighting to be done anywhere but right next to our spawn, which considering the cap mechanics is a HUGE disadvantage.
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline CtrlAltDe1337

• Knight
  • Renown: 31
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
  • Victoria aut mors
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ATS / Northern Empire
  • Game nicks: Kataphraktos, Muffins, CtrlAltDelete, Haleth
« Reply #145 on: July 31, 2011, 12:38:42 am »
FYI for the ATS vs dfc battle, I was cav commander and we didn't zerg spawn--we moved off to the right and charged with the infantry.  But bear in mind, I said this when chadz first posted this feature:

So this means I can ninja the enemy attacker spawn and stop the battle?
And it turns out its true, just with a slight spawn protection.  Until it gets changed, though, you gotta live with it.
Quote from: IRC
<abearirl>crtlaltdel shut up | you are the worst | sperglord | i hate you so much | if i could ban goatee or ban you | i'd ban you
<Wylker|work>man if i was locked in a bunker with einstein, stalin, and CtrlAltDelete and had a gun with only 2 bullets | I'd shoot CtrlAltDelete twice

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 31, 2011, 01:15:15 am »
Again...for the 1000000 time:

Thanks - we're working on it.

Offline 3ABP

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 31, 2011, 01:58:33 am »
When medics says about "Cancer healing" - "we are working on it" - I understand. It's a long process.
But when just need a say\write couple of words (rule) - and answer is "we are working on it"...
I can't understand it.
              [STR] Strangers Faction

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 31, 2011, 02:20:13 am »
When medics says about "Cancer healing" - "we are working on it" - I understand. It's a long process.
But when just need a say\write couple of words (rule) - and answer is "we are working on it"...
I can't understand it.

That's what chadz always writes. As do most of the devs. Just have to trust they correct it and do a good job of it (most of the time they do).

Offline wylker

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 31, 2011, 02:53:07 am »
The spawn system should probably be something like:

Both attackers and defenders both 100% spawn at 0 seconds. For 60 seconds, attackers leaving spawn range of 30m are tp'd back to spawn, defenders leaving maybe 100m of spawn or whatever makes sense on the maps get tp'd to spawn. Problem solved.

Also our new theme is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BsBXp6VkvU