Author Topic: New Team Balance Sucks  (Read 5354 times)

Offline Corsair831

• King
  • Renown: 1168
  • Infamy: 616
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
New Team Balance Sucks
« on: February 08, 2018, 10:38:18 pm »
+9
It seems there's been an update to the way it balances people on to teams; it's now 'reshuffling the deck' of players so to speak every single round, not putting friends in the same clan on the same team etc.

Making it impossible to teamwork and not being able to play with your friends :(
I 10/10'd cRPG on moddb.com!

Do your bit for our community and write a 10/10 review for cRPG on http://www.moddb.com/mods/crpg !

Offline Arthur_

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 557
  • Infamy: 148
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Arthur
Re: New Team Balance Sucks
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 10:39:36 pm »
+3
moooo
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Jackie who?

Offline Life

• Marshall
  • Renown: 763
  • Infamy: 281
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mod is dead.
  • Game nicks: Assassin_Life, Efil, iK_Life
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 10:43:41 pm »
Way to go EU devs.  :rolleyes:
Assassin Video
My custom crosshair

Offline Telford

• Baron
  • Renown: 96
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Unionen
  • Game nicks: Kalmarunionen_Telford_X | Kalmar_Koenigstiger_II | Kalmar_Windhund_XIV | Kalmar_Silberloewe_II |
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 10:44:44 pm »
+6
I was just saying in-game.

Banner balance promotes teamwork and co-ordination (not just within the banner stack, but for the whole team as an extension). It also promotes clan and community aspects, and improves gameplay more than any dodgy balance code ever will.

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 10:51:51 pm »
+3
Tried to play for the last couple of days, was endlessly autobalanced into the other team, unable to play with the rest of my clan. Second night was even worse, the clan was split 50/50 on both sides, and it changed round after round to make it even worse. The classes often end up being stacked like in the old balance system, didn't notice much improvement.

Offline Corsair831

• King
  • Renown: 1168
  • Infamy: 616
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 10:58:45 pm »
i know that half my clan GTX on teamspeak because we couldn't play together and stuff, more fun if you can play with your friends
I 10/10'd cRPG on moddb.com!

Do your bit for our community and write a 10/10 review for cRPG on http://www.moddb.com/mods/crpg !

Offline Yeldur

• Global Head Retard
  • Duke
  • Renown: 574
  • Infamy: 189
  • cRPG Player
  • Trained by Nord BlueKnight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen, Burg Krems, Acre
  • Game nicks: ladoea, Yeldur
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 11:09:23 pm »
+1
Good, no more merc/byz bannerstack to endlessly dominate servers. There's a reason this has been implemented and it's to stop this kind of cancer.

he,  the god admin.  drink the tea, not ascared to  fight in th  batefield,

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 11:16:20 pm »
+6
Good, no more merc/byz bannerstack to endlessly dominate servers. There's a reason this has been implemented and it's to stop this kind of cancer.

Kick this banner leecher out of our clan
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Ikarus

• King
  • Renown: 1470
  • Infamy: 121
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Your favourite Schnitzel
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Ikarooz, CrossBowbimbo
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 11:20:15 pm »
+1
I think bannerstack is still trying to be achieved, but cav/range balance has higher priority in the algorithm

I bet that shit isn't easy to balance out

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 11:30:28 pm »
+1

That wasnt the reason though, the reason was due to ranged and cav being put on the same team constantly and this is the emergency switch.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Telford

• Baron
  • Renown: 96
  • Infamy: 6
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Unionen
  • Game nicks: Kalmarunionen_Telford_X | Kalmar_Koenigstiger_II | Kalmar_Windhund_XIV | Kalmar_Silberloewe_II |
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 11:38:05 pm »
If you're losing to a team with better teamplay, are they really the problem? Join a clan that's active rip.

Offline Ikarus

• King
  • Renown: 1470
  • Infamy: 121
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Your favourite Schnitzel
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Ikarooz, CrossBowbimbo
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 01:23:27 am »
+2
to be fair though, the new balance is really annoying since you switch teams almost every round

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2018, 01:30:02 am »
They did something similar I think was around the beginning of last year to the auto balancer which did the same thing its doing now constantly team switching players. Never stayed on a team very long so it was hard to maintain a multiplier. It didn't last very long as they switched it back probably due to the amount of complaints.
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline RD_Professor

• Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 718
  • Infamy: 31
  • cRPG Player
  • goon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2018, 04:30:17 am »
+6
Teambalancer was changed not only to balance by classes but to balance for better teams. for that, teams are balanced every round to counter against one team rolling for an entire map, however, after I watched EU1 balance for 1-2 hours, it became apparent that banner stacks was hindering this balance. that is, on many occasions, the balancer would set one team to have a far higher average score than the other team. so, I decided to test out the strict autobalance mode, to see if that would result in more even teams. however I have not yet checked whether this is true or not. if teams continue to be as unbalanced as they were with banner balance, then I will revert this change.

as for switching every round, this has helped prevent one team from steamrolling for an entire map. yes, as of now getting switched from the 'winning' team is obnoxious, given the current multiplier XP system, as it causes you to lose your multiplier. however, I intend to move away from the multiplier system, and instead give out different amounts of xp solely based on whether your team lost or won. that is, instead of having the multiplier range from x1 to x5, instead I'd like to see it range from x3 to x4. of course, I'll do my best to ensure that xp gains are similar to the xp gains under the current system. by doing this, being balanced every round only has the potential to change your xp gain by 80% or so, instead of reducing it to 20%.

all of this is not to say that I don't like banner stacks, or banner balance. I very much enjoy the fact that clans are put together on the same team, and are able to work together. but, at the moment, doing this  has a large negative affect on team balance as a whole, due to the underlying nature of the teambalance algorithm. the changes that I made to the algorithm just added an additional layer on top of the 'old' algorithm, it did not address the issues that the balancer has with sorting teams. if I could, I absolutely would redesign the algorithm from the ground-up to better balance teams by player score, however, that would be hideously complicated, and take up time that I need to spend getting strat reset ready. which is still on track to happen by end of month.

does the new balancer have flaws? yes. but I am certain that it is balancing by classes. each team should have an equal (1-player possible difference) in numbers of cavalry (players with more than 3 riding), ranged (players with more than 3 PD/PT, or with proficiency in xbow), and inf (everyone else). This is done by considering the base stats of players. if it looks like the classes are not balanced, then I'd bet that someone out there had points in riding, or archery, or throwing, and decided not to take their horse/bow/whatever.

in my ideal world, the balancer would manage to balance by classes, create bannerstacks, and also distribute players into even teams. maybe one day this would be possible, but for now at least classes are equally balanced between teams (if they aren't then something strange is messed up). which many of you have been complaining about.
shoot me on discord or real life

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2018, 06:34:41 am »
Noooo, don't tell 'em how to fly under the radar!