Poll

You see a fagcher scoring 5 headshots in a row and you think to yourself:

"Damn, that guy is good"
"Nerf ranged"

Author Topic: There is nothing wrong with ranged.....  (Read 13554 times)

Offline Ikarus

• King
  • Renown: 1470
  • Infamy: 121
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Your favourite Schnitzel
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Ikarooz, CrossBowbimbo
Re: There is nothing wrong with ranged.....
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2018, 03:01:55 pm »
by all the current hysteria I wonder how a patch would turn out where all ranged weapons were just nerfed into oblivion

just to see if the mod is more enjoyable without any ranged at all

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2018, 03:06:44 pm »
+11
Remove ranged, remove cav, remove melee combat. Perfect game. Let us rejoice and play peaceful resource gathering RPG.

Offline Umbra

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Krems, Freak Army of Gnjus
  • Game nicks: Umbra
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2018, 04:29:25 pm »
+1
Buff ranged

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2018, 04:45:01 pm »
+1
Remove ranged, remove cav, remove melee combat. Perfect game. Let us rejoice and play peaceful resource gathering RPG.

Some people would fare better on Persistent World  :mrgreen:  cRPG isnt for everyone.

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2018, 05:47:18 pm »
+1
by all the current hysteria I wonder how a patch would turn out where all ranged weapons were just nerfed into oblivion

just to see if the mod is more enjoyable without any ranged at all

You'd see either :

- cav dominating on open fields
- MLG tier players unhindered by ranged able to go polearm/2h, as well as a sharp decrease in shield-using infantry. The only way to fight them would be to have even more ganks.

Wouldn't be much better for the average player when you think about it. If you get cav nerfed into Oblivion as well, only the second scenario remains. cRPG is (or was ?) based around the diversity of builds, people tend to forget how OP everything was back in 2012, and I am those who think it was better this way. People play warband for the whole package, if you play a mod without anything but melee, it dies pretty quickly overall, not only because it makes little sense historically, but also gameplay-wise. I'm not saying getting peppered with arrows isn't annoying, because even as an archer, it is annoying to get shot 5 times before you can retaliate, but without archers on the battlefield, you don't get the ability to harass attackers on siege maps, nor you get to take down cavalry/high value targets without them wrecking you.

But again, screaming about how OP archers are is way easier than remembering the times when a bowman with agility could 1 hit everyone in the head, and asking for their removal is easier than trying to picture that scenario if it happened.

Offline Telford

• Baron
  • Renown: 96
  • Infamy: 6
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Unionen
  • Game nicks: Kalmarunionen_Telford_X | Kalmar_Koenigstiger_II | Kalmar_Windhund_XIV | Kalmar_Silberloewe_II |
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2018, 06:44:55 pm »
Cav dominating? Bullshit. Cav has infantry counters galore.
The only mid-battle counter to ranged is ranged, however.

It can't be countered, and it has a hilarious influence over the combat - especially with current numbers.
It is just literally OP, even though on a realistic basis I wouldn't choose to nerf ranged, etc. But the fact is, it's just effective asf. And that's causing issues.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 06:48:44 pm by Telford »

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2018, 06:56:18 pm »
+1
Cav is not hard countered by infantry unless infantry completely bunkers up. I'm fairly certain if there are statistics on class effectiveness, cav would have quite a higher average k/d and damage deal than any other class. Not to mention how much a bump changes a fight.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Telford

• Baron
  • Renown: 96
  • Infamy: 6
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Unionen
  • Game nicks: Kalmarunionen_Telford_X | Kalmar_Koenigstiger_II | Kalmar_Windhund_XIV | Kalmar_Silberloewe_II |
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2018, 07:16:42 pm »
You know how people say, ranged - get shield?
They don't say, cavalry - get pike? Because literally anything can kill horses, including mid-combat. It is easy for an agi 2h to deject from the fight they're in, to stab a horse coming from their rear / block down.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2018, 07:28:33 pm »
+1
You know how people say, ranged - get shield?
They don't say, cavalry - get pike? Because literally anything can kill horses, including mid-combat. It is easy for an agi 2h to deject from the fight they're in, to stab a horse coming from their rear / block down.

Oh yes, of course. A hoplite maybe, since otherwise you get shot. But thats just looking at it through a lens where you expect people to completely play around cav by bunkering up. I mean technically all melee weapons are useless because you can literally block every swing coming at you, but that isnt realistic. Cav will always find people that cannot adapt in time, and will almost certainly die to 1 hit couch or bump. Thats just how the class works, not saying its OP (though i do wish stakes actually 1 shot horses again, they are pathetic now afaik), but it is from my perspective the most impactful class.

And on the topic of ranged. Ranged only does alright damage currently because melee does equally shitty damage. Buff melee dmg values further, power strike buffs, turnrates, swing speeds etc etc. Not only would it feel more impactful to play melee then, as it would be easier to be a king for a day for even the worst players, but it would (probably) end the melee clashes slightly faster or force people to be more defensive. Which in turn would either make people play around ranged more, or simply since the melee destroys one side so quickly they will march down the ranged in numbers.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 07:34:13 pm by Gravoth_iii »
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.

Offline Thorvic

• Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 184
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ordre de l'Étoile
  • Game nicks: OdE_Thorvic
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2018, 07:36:38 pm »
Cav is not hard countered by infantry unless infantry completely bunkers up. I'm fairly certain if there are statistics on class effectiveness, cav would have quite a higher average k/d and damage deal than any other class. Not to mention how much a bump changes a fight.

You would not have say this if you played cav on different warband mods.

On cRPG, bumpslash damages are heavily reduced, while it isn't on other multiplayer mods ; lance can only be used to attack towards the front direction, while on other mods you can turn 180° while attacking. In addition to that, the high number of ranged of all types doesn't help when it comes to support the team and do some kills in general, because the horse armor value doesn't follow the huge amount of damages delivered by arrows/bolts/throwing weapons (it's true on Strategus battles, it is even more true on EU1, it only requires 5 bodkin arrows to take down my +3 plated charger, bs imo).

About bump effectiveness, it can be temperated if we consider that cRPG is the only warband multiplayer mod to give footman players the ability to make a roll on left/right so you don't get ganked if you pay attention to the game.

So please, don't tell me cavalry cannot be countered easily on cRPG, if it was that good, you would be able to see way more players actually playing that class. From my own warband experience I can tell that cav is way more stronger on ALL other mods, and it doesn't really bother the players.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2018, 07:53:15 pm »
+1
You would not have say this if you played cav on different warband mods.

On cRPG, bumpslash damages are heavily reduced, while it isn't on other multiplayer mods ; lance can only be used to attack towards the front direction, while on other mods you can turn 180° while attacking. In addition to that, the high number of ranged of all types doesn't help when it comes to support the team and do some kills in general, because the horse armor value doesn't follow the huge amount of damages delivered by arrows/bolts/throwing weapons (it's true on Strategus battles, it is even more true on EU1, it only requires 5 bodkin arrows to take down my +3 plated charger, bs imo).

About bump effectiveness, it can be temperated if we consider that cRPG is the only warband multiplayer mod to give footman players the ability to make a roll on left/right so you don't get ganked if you pay attention to the game.

So please, don't tell me cavalry cannot be countered easily on cRPG, if it was that good, you would be able to see way more players actually playing that class. From my own warband experience I can tell that cav is way more stronger on ALL other mods, and it doesn't really bother the players.

Everything is stronger in other mods than they are in crpg, everything is gutter trash here. But the nature of cav automatically makes it the dominant class and soon as youve got some experience on your hands, and allows for the highest possible effectiveness. As soon as some good lancers/1h cav pops up they will destroy, but the effectiveness drops as there are fewer players on the server so theres that too. Plated charger is a terrible horse btw.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2018, 10:46:47 pm »
What percentage of the overall kills would be acceptable for ranged to have? 15%? 20%?

Offline Corsair831

• King
  • Renown: 1168
  • Infamy: 616
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2018, 12:38:04 am »
What percentage of the overall kills would be acceptable for ranged to have? 15%? 20%?

In order to play cRPG people must first be forced to play 500 hours of native. People will then learn that shields are capable of blocking arrows. People will then understand that shields are useful. People will then stop crying about ranged, every 2 seconds.
I 10/10'd cRPG on moddb.com!

Do your bit for our community and write a 10/10 review for cRPG on http://www.moddb.com/mods/crpg !

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2018, 08:59:04 am »
+1
What is the perceived percentage of ranged kills at the moment?

Offline Corsair831

• King
  • Renown: 1168
  • Infamy: 616
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2018, 05:36:39 pm »
What is the perceived percentage of ranged kills at the moment?

~10%. I rarely see ranged doing anywhere near as well as melee
I 10/10'd cRPG on moddb.com!

Do your bit for our community and write a 10/10 review for cRPG on http://www.moddb.com/mods/crpg !