Author Topic: State of the game.  (Read 6344 times)

Offline LordRichrich

• Count
  • Renown: 297
  • Infamy: 115
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: State of the game.
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2015, 01:54:17 pm »
Do any of the mechanics he used in the golden days still exist?

I must be blind, i thought Leshma was saying that agility builds are ''the pinnacle of skill'' (sarcastically or otherwise), and that Gurnisson was saying that balanced builds were and are the best. Those 2 statements appear to be completely unrelated as one is talking about 'skill' and the other about pure performance.

Lesham meant they're OP as fuck, Gurni think that balanced builds are better.

Offline Mr.K.

• Earl
  • Renown: 474
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Union
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2015, 02:14:52 pm »
There were 50+ ppl on eu 2 tonight, and what u do, strategus....nice, u are so fuckin smart.. now eu2 empty eu3 20 ppl doing a useles strat battle and eu1 empty. So fuckin smart

Some of us enjoy Strat battles as they allow for more tactical gameplay instead of the constant respawn and spam of EU2 or pew-pew and spam of EU1. There was 80+ players on that battle so the community seems to agree to at least to a point. Strat itself is pretty dead, but the battles can still be fun if both teams have good gear and a respectable roster like yesterday. Gave close to 1.5 million xp as well for those who still care.

http://c-rpg.net/index.php?page=strategusbattlesarchive#!?page=strategusinfobattledetail&id=3955

Offline LordRichrich

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2015, 02:25:13 pm »
+1
Oh another thing. Sure ranged is part of the game, but it's the part that makes people rage quit and get pissed off the most.

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2015, 02:29:55 pm »
+2
Yeah properly organised strat battles and sieges were the most fun aspect of this game. If strategus could have been made more fluid and dynamic it might still be popular but just like CRPG unnecessary and counter productive features we're continually added that made it overly tedious and time consuming.

A return to an earlier form of strategus where resources, equipment and troops were easily aquire by the individual would go a long way to bringing that back. First order of business would be the removal of the pointless strat ticks which place needless constraints on the game and slow everything down in a vain attempt to keep people grinding on CRPG.

Honestly strategus has always played a big part in keeping the community active and alive but it's development has been abandoned leading to stagnation. There is no cause for organisation and thus the community withers.

Crpg has been, and always will be, a broken mess, but it used to be a broken mess with a diverse, active and entertaining community. I'm sure we all understand the devs have other priorities but an update (or even a reset as promised) for strategus could be really benefitial.
Turtles

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2015, 02:56:07 pm »
Yeah properly organised strat battles and sieges were the most fun aspect of this game.

For some of us (I'd even dare say "for many of us") Tournaments & Big Battles were even more fun because they were less broken but what would a victim-turned-criminal like yourself know about it......  :twisted:
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Casimir

• King
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2015, 02:57:41 pm »

For some of us (I'd even dare say "for many of us") Tournaments & Big Battles were even more fun because they were less broken but what would a victim-turned-criminal like yourself know about it......  :twisted:

Oh yeah clan tournies were good as well, i paticularly liked the two team large clan battes back in the day, you need an active community for that though which ain't something we got here.
Turtles

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2321
  • Infamy: 211
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2015, 03:01:44 pm »
Strategus battles were fun because they were massive and depicted actual medieval battlefield in the best way this mod is capable of. However in those battles game mechanics and that famous, touted great balance cRPG has according to some, was put through harsh test which it gloriously failed.

If you want to see how piss poor cRPG balance always was, just play the strat battle. Pikes and archers everywhere...

Offline Casimir

• King
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2015, 03:07:51 pm »
Strategus battles were fun because they were massive and depicted actual medieval battlefield in the best way this mod is capable of. However in those battles game mechanics and that famous, touted great balance cRPG has according to some, was put through harsh test which it gloriously failed.

If you want to see how piss poor cRPG balance always was, just play the strat battle. Pikes and archers everywhere...

Field battles, much like in the medieval world, we're always the worst.  If like the real world sieges had been more common place it would have made it far better. Sieges let the dullards (archers) padded their stats while everyone else actually has a chance to get involved with an engaging, focussed melee fight at diverse flash points. Castle and town sieges allowed for proper forward planning as there was a set map and the commanders knew what to expect, it allowed people to actually cone up with some good offensive and defensive plans. Making strategus more fluid would really have been a god thing but I doubt we will ever see an update for it.
Turtles

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2015, 03:39:44 pm »
+2

What a dumb argument. It's like saying that cav is underpowered because it is bad on Siege. Balance has always been done for EU 1. The server which has no respawns, the largest variety of tactical situations and therefore the server that allows all playstyles to be viable. Strategus was exactly the opposite, with one single situation lasting for one and a half hours. Namely a clusterfuck in the middle of a field that was continously fed by respawns. Obviously classes that normally require support to not get swamped fare best there. Pikers, archers and plate.

I thought Strat battles were quite terrible compared to clan battles or a well balanced EU 1 session. Tedious grindfests, though I did appreciate wrecking with easy mode pike/awlpike.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2090
  • Infamy: 2332
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2015, 04:18:51 pm »
Balance has always been done for EU 1.

You sure about that? Archers were repeatedly nerfed because of strat. Also, Bars Voulge...

Offline UnholyRolyPoly

• Earl
  • Renown: 348
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2015, 07:01:41 am »
At this point I just want to see changes, I don't care where they come from.  NA is practically dead and no one seems to care; which is a shame because I always believed this game/community had something special going for it.  I hardly play anymore but I'm still following this mod on the hopes that it can be great again.

Same here.  I quit playing because it was too addictive.  I made too many friends (and enemies like James the Fucktard.)  It's been a great run.  I won't forget it.  Nor will I forget the various people I've met.

Offline UnholyRolyPoly

• Earl
  • Renown: 348
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2015, 07:05:24 am »

It was still fun as hell.  I enjoyed every betrayal.  And I really enjoyed the hell out of commanding battles.  But I quickly realized guys like Kesh were insane.  I don't know how the hell he made nearly every battle.  It takes so much time to politic and get mercs.  It's a huge pain in the ass.  But it was fun as hell. 

Offline Hellsing

• Count
  • Renown: 209
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2015, 10:30:26 am »
+2
I never could rely enjoy strategus though.. You had to be part of the big guys to play there, ridiculous battle time setup..
Best thing was the introduction of siege and later DTV. Just playing some funny rounds 8-)

Offline Simon_Belmont

• Baron
  • Renown: 82
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Belmonts and many Warhammer refferencing names
« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2015, 08:57:28 pm »
+5
Ranged is slowly killing people off. Sure it's "part of the game" but when you close with an archer, they turn and run, get ahead, pew, run, pew. Or even worse they're on a horse. Or they're a thrower. It's just infuriating to get plinked at constantly.

You find someone, they'll run away until there's at least one more person in their group than your group.

Also agi is crazy op what the hell.

I personally always thought throwing was incredibly weak although a ton of fun (mind you, I joined cRPG in mid 2013). The reason why people started complaining about it in the first place was because of the introduction of throwing lances, which basically made a 1 hit kill shot against many opponents who were engaged in combat without having to worry about teamhitting or being accurate. But throwing weapons like axes were vastly underpowered. It felt amazing when I finally got my MW Throwing axes to spam people with only to realize I had trouble countering practically everything and eventually was appalled by the atrocious performance I was giving, which was even worse than before. I still enjoyed javelins and jarids, but I never touched axes again. And when I finally switched to Throwing lances they quickly implemented that "supossed" balance that made them even better just because of being able to weild 6 of them. The long windup for easy aiming, the HIGH damage, not having to worry about hit and run tactics... Absurd, if you ask me. Also, throwing is pretty much useless in DTV too, so there goes grinding.

However, yes, I've always thought HA and archers were ridiculous in cRPG. In native, at least, everyone seems to be agile enough to catch them so they can't just leave you behind only to find another spot to pick you off from. And HA and HX with heavy horses are simply no fun. Probably because being fast and annoying and uncounterable by most classes isn't fun.

As for the mod dying, I still think it's both age and boredom, not broken patches or unbalanced items/builds. For a newbie like myself, it's not exciting to grind for items and try to reach goals when everyone else around leaves, having met those goals ages ago, because I can't get to try them out. And really, how can you blame them? They've exhausted the "replay value" of the mod by trying basically everything. Plus, feeling a part of the community: It takes (or used to take) so long to start from scratch and get to know both players and items so that you don't die right away. It's nothing like Native. For the first few months I was completely lost, playing with stupid and broken builds, with no direction as to what I was supossed to learn. And then when you enter a clan to hopefully get more involved, its playerbase dies within the span of a month. So you end up joining a HUGE clan that has good intentions but 0 personality, playing with teammates that play individually and not as a "clan", until you jump onto another clan that dies in no time as well. Like an eternal and painful game of Frogger, except you level up in between. Yay?

You could also play Strat, which was also about clan stacking but at least was fun. Or instead, you lurk the forums 24/7 complaining about how the mod was better in 20XX, and that it needs to be reverted for it to grow back. Or being a know-it-all despite not having played the mod in ages. And I mean no offense, but just let it go. It's a mod, not a lifestyle.

Sorry for this TL;DR speech. I completely understand if you don't feel like reading it, but I do this to avoid posting a lot because I know it'll bother people. Also 100% personal opinion and experience.
You didn't read the fine print on the description of the HA skill. By using ranged on horse you willingly give up your right to empathy, for good reason.
I'm gone for a few months due to work and classes, hoping the mod isn't dead when I come back. Take care, all of you.

Offline LordRichrich

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2015, 05:37:02 pm »
+4
Sometimes on EU one you can hear Darude Sandstorm with Pew's instead of Du's