Author Topic: State of the game.  (Read 6396 times)

Offline DaveUKR

• Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 242
  • cRPG Player
  • Small rain lays great dust
    • View Profile
Re: State of the game.
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2015, 12:53:02 pm »
+4
The system of cRPG itself considers having a logical end (the point when you can't better or it takes impossible amount of time to take a step). Whether you do retarded changes (yes, they occured) or you don't do important changes, the playerbase will always decrease. The more people play - with the bigger power this game pushes them out. It's called boredom. And it also pushes out new players instead of pulling them. Retirement system was meant to help with this but it was only a temporary solution. Also Strategus was an important part of the game which didn't get enough of attention. I guess if cRPG went more to Strategus path it would have a much bigger player base but would it be better?

Also the lack of mechanics destroyed the potential in personal skills, I myself reached my personal top in ~2011. All I had to do in future is just to adapt to changes. cRPG went more and more into a restrictive way, people have nostalgia about old cRPG because it has less restrictions, that's it. I got very upset when they removed the ability to use ranged weapons while jumping/falling, had to remove the whole chapter from my guide. It all happened because archers were kiting with jumps and just like with most of changes in cRPG: by fixing something in one class - they harmed other classes.

Offline Micah

• Duke
  • Renown: 539
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Micah_Senpai_von_Krems Glance_the_Useless_von_Krems Arielle_the_little_Mermaid
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2015, 02:15:10 pm »
... cRPG went more and more into a restrictive way, people have nostalgia about old cRPG because it has less restrictions, that's it. I got very upset when they removed the ability to use ranged weapons while jumping/falling ...

I dont believe tho that, eventhough i myself miss some mechanics from early days, the restrictiveness is the problem - since it was not     exaggerated... Considering that a multitude of factors add to the fun in a game, the cut of some mechanics where well worth it in order to streamline the overall gameplay and ensuring competitive play. Compromises had to be made ...

Sure, finding exploits and making discoveries where a major fun element in early days ... ultimately tho, it was the goal to produce a well balanced state for the combat ... not a creative, exploration or trolling game. cRPG is not Mine-Craft.

I understand that there has/had to come a point in time for cRPG to transition out of experimenting phase into a solid and consistent mechanics state -at least limited frequency of changes- and the fun the game could offer with its pure core mechanics plus community cohesion would have to suffice and keep the game alive.
The percepted restrictions ultimately had to kick in at one point or another, no matter the volume and complexity of mechanics. Still there always was the unbalance patches and huge amount of new items that provided change in a limited fasion. And also the latest, exemplary 2h stab animation show, that there is still alot of room - despite the lack of will to accept changes - inherent to competetive mindsets, who represent a majority of word-loud comunity ...

If any, CS is the most apropriate comparision to cRPG gameplay in my eyes and i think its not the worst comparision ... nor the worst idea to hope for a similar evolution for this competetive niche game.

I believe the game is not dieing ... its evolving into something ... by transitioning through some choke-points while crystalizing the playerbase ... its just not for everyone - but who would want that ?

edit: i'd like to add that i think of MBG as a succession of cRPG ... i do not entertain the idea that M&B:cRPG does have a chance for eternal life ...

Im not getting started with Strat tho ... it spewed me out burned out after a short while ... and i dont intend to retry it ... it needs a complete design overhaul, incorporating humans as participants and not just assholes ...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 08:46:51 pm by Micah »
I am writing long winded essays in shitty english.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline _GTX_

• I <3 Shemaforash
  • Duke
  • Renown: 535
  • Infamy: 960
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • O===((:::::::::::::::>
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmarunionen
  • Game nicks: GTX
  • IRC nick: GTX
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2015, 02:41:25 pm »
+1
Also the lack of mechanics destroyed the potential in personal skills, I myself reached my personal top in ~2011. All I had to do in future is just to adapt to changes. cRPG went more and more into a restrictive way, people have nostalgia about old cRPG because it has less restrictions, that's it.

Yeah i agree with this statement. I feel like they killed c-rpg with the constant restrictions, they essentially pulled the life out of the combat system. You could do amazing things back in the early days of c-rpg, if you had the knowledge/skill to pull it off. It didn't really matter that the balance was quite crap back then, because you were always able to do something against a larger force. This is not the case anymore. Eu_1 essentially turned into a completely relentless gank simulator, because you can't really do anything against a larger force ganking you, anymore. Thats also why the balance means a lot in the currect state of c-rpg, because it can essentially decide which team wins the fight, if it gives one team more players.

This is what happens when the devs focused entirely on teamplay, it becomes dull and boring, especially on eu_1 where you're a bunch of randomers just trying to have fun with the combat system.

Offline LordRichrich

• Count
  • Renown: 297
  • Infamy: 115
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2015, 02:45:41 pm »
+4
Ranged is slowly killing people off. Sure it's "part of the game" but when you close with an archer, they turn and run, get ahead, pew, run, pew. Or even worse they're on a horse. Or they're a thrower. It's just infuriating to get plinked at constantly.

You find someone, they'll run away until there's at least one more person in their group than your group.

Also agi is crazy op what the hell.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2015, 04:25:00 pm »
Ranged is slowly killing people off. Sure it's "part of the game" but when you close with an archer, they turn and run, get ahead, pew, run, pew. Or even worse they're on a horse. Or they're a thrower. It's just infuriating to get plinked at constantly.

You find someone, they'll run away until there's at least one more person in their group than your group.

Also agi is crazy op what the hell.

When archers were rebuffed the servers got about an average of 10 more players, atleast eu1. That rise is purely archers though, but theres got to be some scrub go-to class.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2235
  • Infamy: 1462
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2015, 04:37:43 pm »
Implying that archery is easy mode. Same can be said for shielders. Of course 2H/polearms is the pinnacle of skill, especially AGI builds...

Every class has its merits and involves skill, but some people are too thick to realize that. For example, shielder seems like an easy mode but in melee duel shield is nothing but a burden because blocking and attacking is significantly slower than with one handed weapon without a shield. If not for the fact that enemies bashing on my shield grants me points (important for valor reward) and if ranged wasn't as deadly I would play so called swashbuckler.

Offline LordRichrich

• Count
  • Renown: 297
  • Infamy: 115
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2015, 05:56:47 pm »
+2
Implying that archery is easy mode. Same can be said for shielders. Of course 2H/polearms is the pinnacle of skill, especially AGI builds...

Every class has its merits and involves skill, but some people are too thick to realize that. For example, shielder seems like an easy mode but in melee duel shield is nothing but a burden because blocking and attacking is significantly slower than with one handed weapon without a shield. If not for the fact that enemies bashing on my shield grants me points (important for valor reward) and if ranged wasn't as deadly I would play so called swashbuckler.

Archery is relatively easy though. 30/15 10 PD, 6PS, 64wpf 1h with a 0 slot mace, longbow + bodkings (typo but it works cos bodkins are king). Pew pew mofos from a mile away, hit like a truck, when they get close pull out your mace and open a can of whoop ass on them. Hell, I rarely go through all my arrows with low server pop, I should carry a proper 1 slot mace.

Low server pop makes ranged more deadly. Also the fact that as server population has gone down, the % playing ranged seems to have increased. As though only ranged are staying and the melee are quitting (or rerolling ranged).

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2015, 07:21:47 pm »

Very true. But that doesnt change the fact that archery appeals most to scrubs, heh. Every person ive dragged into this game has been wanting to start out as an archer..

Implying implications.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2015, 08:53:31 pm »
+6
Of course 2H/polearms is the pinnacle of skill, especially AGI builds...

Balanced builds was, and still is, better than agi builds.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2015, 09:10:34 pm »
+4
chadz left, Fasader right.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 461
  • Infamy: 1041
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2015, 09:11:03 pm »
Balanced builds was, and still is, better than agi builds.

You are balancer, you know best.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2015, 09:15:08 pm »
+1
You are balancer, you know best.

Besides that he was one of the best players in the mod during the golden days.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 109
  • Infamy: 1294
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2015, 09:29:47 pm »
5000 euro mod as I said

Offline Gatsby

• Knight
  • Renown: 69
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Goffredo; Montfort
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2015, 10:03:39 pm »
There were 50+ ppl on eu 2 tonight, and what u do, strategus....nice, u are so fuckin smart.. now eu2 empty eu3 20 ppl doing a useles strat battle and eu1 empty. So fuckin smart

Offline Herkkutatti666

• Duke
  • Renown: 585
  • Infamy: 285
  • cRPG Player
  • Rips pärs
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2015, 07:55:22 am »
bring back deployable ladders)))