Author Topic: Helmet Weight Variance  (Read 1097 times)

Offline Shatter

• Knight
  • Renown: 59
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Shatter_Astralis
Helmet Weight Variance
« on: November 15, 2014, 06:08:18 am »
There are quite a few helmets that are the same weight but provide different armor values.  This occurrence is most prevalent with the lower armor level helmets but even exists at the upper levels with items like the Phrygian Helmet with Faceplate.  In a game that is supposed to encourage people to make and customize a character, it seems counterintuitive to discourage people from using certain helmets by making some statistically superior.

What is the rationale for having helmets with the same weight but different armor levels? Realism?  Because when we are talking about differences in .1 weight, I don't think realism is impacted.  Yet, on a game level, it does have effect.  It makes it so that when I use items like the Norman Helmet or Roman Helmet, that I have to make a choice to purposely have 1 less armor than I could be having for the same weight amount.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
Re: Helmet Weight Variance
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 08:32:16 am »
Have a point there. Same with leg armor.

Offline Johammeth

• King
  • Renown: 1077
  • Infamy: 81
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ConnectiKUTT
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 03:53:42 pm »
You're absolutely correct in terms of min/max balance.

However I feel that this sort of trivial stat-imbalance gives otherwise homogenous items a measure of character.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Shatter

• Knight
  • Renown: 59
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Shatter_Astralis
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 01:30:16 am »
You're absolutely correct in terms of min/max balance.

However I feel that this sort of trivial stat-imbalance gives otherwise homogenous items a measure of character.
I don't see how the Phrygian Helmet with Faceplate being 0.1 weight less than the five other 50 armor helmets adds any kind of "character" to the game or the items themselves.  The character of items comes mostly from their appearance.  I don't think the Saracen Keffiyeh Helmet is any better off providing 1 less armor than the Kettle Helmet for the same weight.  There are better ways of making items unique than by arbitrarily making some 100% superior to others.

Offline Johammeth

• King
  • Renown: 1077
  • Infamy: 81
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ConnectiKUTT
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 06:50:10 am »
I think that an object's flaws can make it all the more endearing.

For example, one of my earlier looms was a set of Light Leather Boots. They aren't the best in class (There's another set of boots with the same armor and -.01 weight), but the decision to use this specific item for aesthetics rather than stats makes me MUCH more attached to it. Using an item that I like--in spite of its flaws--makes me like the item that much more.

That's my take on it. But as I said, you are certainly correct in terms of raw min/max balance.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 08:22:39 pm »
Same story with body armors.

All the cool looking stuff is trash, cause weight is too high..
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.