Melee: Battlegrounds > General

Re: Melee: Battlegrounds Movement Discussion

(1/15) > >>

Gravoth_iii:
Any chance of a mechanic that will kind of resemble a dodge, like a jump to the side in order to position yourself better when fighting multiple enemies? Current cRPG uses athletics and pure movement speed for all kinds of positioning, i'd like to see a game that has very similar combat movespeeds (where armor/weapon weight would be the only factor in movespeeds), but having a high amount of a stat that would resemble athletics in crpg, makes you able to dodge more often, and sprint faster when running straight.

Being a darksouls freak, i love dodging mechanics, rolls and all that jazz, it just adds a really nice layer of defensive play.

Teeth:
I doubt he wants rolling in, but something like a quick sideways or backwards step could be nice. That is the worst looking aspect of Warband in my opinion, the constant WASD-ing everywhere regardless of what your body is doing. Perhaps a better looking combat system can be created by having relatively slow movement default WASD movement when in defensive and attack postures, and have specific steps you can do to complement an attack or block or attempt a dodge. I would love timing and positioning to play a bigger role than with Warband's retarded loldancing.

Gravoth_iii:

--- Quote from: HESKEYTIME on November 12, 2014, 05:33:09 pm ---IMO one of the best things about crpg and warband is that the battlefield isnt full of flipping ninjas or rolling heroes. It's the reason warband battlefields look so relatively immersive. It's a good mechanic for a single-player Rpg that has no regard for realism or 'good' looking medieval combat, and is designed with boss-fight mechanics in mind. Keep that shit in a single-player campaign or duel, but not on the battlefield.

--- End quote ---

Like Teeth said, a side step does not remove from the immersion any more than a ninja backepeddaling faster than someone can walk forward.
Also crpg already has rolling, didnt remove anything from the immersion imo although it looks ridiculous.

Gravoth_iii:

--- Quote from: HESKEYTIME on November 12, 2014, 06:21:05 pm ---It's the distinction between a team game and a rambo game. Imagine a battlefield like the actual good strategus battles but where everyone has special 'dodge' or 'dash' moves. Yes, like that rolling mechanic we have now -.-

I dont know if melee battlegrounds has chosen whether the emphasis will be duel-orientated or battlefield, in my mind doing both requires a compromise on the mechanics for both; if the battlefield was full of 2hand jedi duelists leaping and dodging about then that would look shit, if dueling was static or involved the same 'loldancing' as Warband then it'd be 2dimensional aswell.

--- End quote ---

"good strategus battles" this exists? why strat battles in particular? The game never was very immersive if thats the point you are trying to prove, i always thought it more arcadey and skill based, i never really felt like in an actual battle or anything. Skill based gameplay is what i want, and changing up how movements and positioning works could potentially improve the gameplay imo.

Jacko:
Movement mechanics are something we've been discussing lately and definitely something we want to expand upon. Combat rolls don't fit the game, but stuff like side stepping certainly does. Smaller more precise mechanics fit thematically with the scale we are aiming for.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version