Author Topic: Can I reasonably expect a change to the current EXP/Multiplier system?  (Read 4628 times)

Offline Breidr

• Baron
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
  • Stand Tall! Shieldwall!
    • View Profile
    • Breidr's Twitch TV Channel
  • Faction: Highest Bidder
  • Game nicks: Breidr
  • IRC nick: Breidr
What about...

Rewarding "skill"(score) this way:
You get a DTV style reward(not affected by generation) according to this formula at end of map:

Gold: Score multiplied by Start parenthesis 31 minus level end parenthesis=Score*(31-Level)
Experience: Score*20*(31-Level)

All negative values should be treated as 0(Lvl 32+ generates negative values)
(click to show/hide)

Side effects: low level friends farming points on each other, the main benefit being that low level characters(alts) becomes a good source of income instead of semi-naked lvl 31+ running about fake peasanting.

Do note that 100 pts as level 1 is worth 12 min of x5 multi.

This I like.  Still has some downsides, but is nowhere near as harsh as it is now, and makes it so I'll actually play my alts, and siege!

Offline UnholyRolyPoly

• Earl
  • Renown: 348
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Yeah, I'll just flat out say it, I think it's absolute crap, especially on public servers.  It's become a special occasion when I can have x2 for a round now, or it at least feels that way.  If I put anything heavier than a Byrnie on, I seem to lose money, yet I see people run full plate all the time.

cRPG is a great concept, and I keep coming back to it, but it's the multiplier system that kills it for me.  I don't even play all that often, so when I do sit down to play, mostly on the weekends, it grates at me even more to be stuck at x1, and then the repair bills kick in and I just think "there's another three-five minutes of income gone."

I noticed some recent changes to team balance, and I still see games end in stomps with 20 enemies still standing, but at least it's being looked into. Is this ever going to happen to the EXP system?  I keep reading that the multiplier system was only temporary, but it doesn't seem that way.

I can tell you one thing, if Melee: Battlegrounds has a similar system, I'll probably pass on it as well.  Don't need to develop a love/hate relationship with too many games.

EDIT: I'd also like to add that it makes other game modes, like Siege, almost pointless in terms of progression, and that sucks because you get to fight a lot more in non-battle mode, but it's hardly populated.  Also, I still don't know what this "Rageball" thing is, or why it's on my server list.  :P

I'm not opposed to a fixed XP system with major bonuses to valor and minor bonuses to winning the round.  If the current system is a major problem to people then I'm not opposed to changing it.  I just rarely pay any attention.  I wear light armor.  My upkeep is balanced.  And I usually win plenty of rounds.  Overall I'm happy either way. 

Just a suggestion...  Marketplace trading can help generate revenue.  Get a +3 Item and swap it for other +3's in the same class (especially weapons) and ask for a little gold on top.  You can also try banner stacking or join an active clan.  Clans generally teamwork better because of TS.  A good clan can coordinate and help you win more rounds etc etc.  I don't know how long you've played or if you're already doing those things.  But if not....  try it out.  You might find that CRPG is a lot more fun when you play with other people. 

Offline Breidr

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Not only did I lose my x5 recently before this, but between that and the bullshit team balance, it completely sapped my desire to play in about 30 seconds.  GG cRPG. 23-0
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Admerius

• Earl
  • Renown: 313
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Many Admerius-es and many alts(Total of 32 chars)
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sovereignty of Aegis for life!(aka. multi-claning)
  • Game nicks: My top three nicks: Scum, William_Spearshake, Dedrater)
If score etc affects gold/exp gain at the end of the round, then nudging people of the edges of things to punish their score/K:D becomes even better

But that messes with Valor as well, it will just affect all players xp/gold if you do that.

The code that gives this bonus would be inserted just before or after valor in the flowcharts.

Offline Thryn

• Meme Artisan
  • Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 1177
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook
  • buff 2h tbh
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Confederacy
  • Game nicks: Thryn
  • IRC nick: Black Bastards
+5
If you notice it, you'll see that most of the team is fat and the other half is carrying it along. The problem with the XP system is that it rewards leeching rather than strong gameplay. Even the noobs in NW melee more than some of these nerdbags just standing at spawn collecting their XP.

We may not love corrupt government, but we must love our country.

Offline Breidr

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
+1
If you notice it, you'll see that most of the team is fat and the other half is carrying it along. The problem with the XP system is that it rewards leeching rather than strong gameplay. Even the noobs in NW melee more than some of these nerdbags just standing at spawn collecting their XP.

Just give me offline ticks so I can stop playing this game and just log in everyday to update my character sheet.  I think I'd have more fun, really.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
+4

My problem is that those who are very good essentially ride on a x5 all day because of valour anyways, while people who don't try at all can just leech. There's not much of a place for those in-between who want to play and have fun. They're just statistics in a team balancer. Even if team balance becomes more robust, a 50/50 win/loss is not that rewarding outside of your own personal enjoyment. Weeding out leechers by design (or nullifying their impact on enjoyment by introducing options other than the multiplier) with some sort of reward system for your average player that is sufficiently supporting his team would be a very good thing. There have been some great ideas already that wouldn't require that much work.

Offline Breidr

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
My problem is that those who are very good essentially ride on a x5 all day because of valour anyways, while people who don't try at all can just leech. There's not much of a place for those in-between who want to play and have fun. They're just statistics in a team balancer. Even if team balance becomes more robust, a 50/50 win/loss is not that rewarding outside of your own personal enjoyment. Weeding out leechers by design (or nullifying their impact on enjoyment by introducing options other than the multiplier) with some sort of reward system for your average player that is sufficiently supporting his team would be a very good thing. There have been some great ideas already that wouldn't require that much work.

As one of those in between players, I can't bump this enough.

Offline Thryn

• Meme Artisan
  • Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 1177
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook
  • buff 2h tbh
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Confederacy
  • Game nicks: Thryn
  • IRC nick: Black Bastards
+1
I'm guessing that if we had a good balancer and a reward for good gameplay (like xp based on points gained in a round rather than valour, because sometimes valour is out of certain people's grasps), grinding wouldn't be so bad. There are loads of other ideas as well, but why make a long post when it's unecessary :3

Oh, and one thing that really needs to be done: Throwing weapons sticking in players on impact. I want dis bayck D:
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 09:35:59 am by Thryn »

We may not love corrupt government, but we must love our country.

Offline Breidr

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
I was going to try and retire one more time before taking another break, as I just hit 30, but I think I'll just say fuck it.  Last night I believe I spent almost 40 minutes at x1, fun, right, when you can't win?

Logged on today after lunch and ya know what, there's no point!  This may be simplifying the situation, but there was a certain individual that just ran the server when he appeared.  ridiculous scores like 25/2 in two rounds, and there were only about 20 people on each team.  If he's on your team, you get a multi, if not, tough shit.  Even if that weren't that case he gets valor every round, so why the fuck even bother.

I'm out bros. If I want to have a shitty gaming experience, I'll just reinstall War of the Roses, at least that had a decent EXP system.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 06:28:44 pm by Breidr »

Offline Utrakil

• Marshall
  • Renown: 885
  • Infamy: 182
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Randwig; Gerwin; Marketenderin; Fletcher
+1

Offline tisjester

• Baron
  • Renown: 102
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: TitsJester
Yeah, it's all twice as fast as it was.. so nobody should be bitching ha ha.

Getting x5 is a lot easier once you're skilled enough to make a difference on the team.

Mad about x1's? Just concentrate on getting better, and help change it!

If the team balancer was perfect, Team A would win as much as Team B and there would be only x1 and x2's anyway.

Offline Breidr

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
A 25/2 isn't ridiculous at all. It's a good score, yes. But was has it to do with you having x1 for 40 minutes?

Also, I play more than 40 minutes on x1 every single day. Why is that a problem for you, is the multi the only thing you play for?
I am honest: The grind (or the levelling, if that even is a english word) + customization is what keeps me playing cRPG.
If I want to play, I play, even if I am on x1. Even with x1 I am grinding, so what.

Gold and xp gain already is ridiculous high compared to the good old times, levelling is really fast even on x1. Actually everything in this game is alot easier than it was in the first year or two. It's so friendly to newcomers and low-levels. There is even a server for low-levels, DTV to get alot of xp and even more, ridiculous amounts of gold in a few hours.

I don't know how people playing cRPG in 2014 still dare to complain about things like that.

Removing EXP from the equation for a moment, gold income at 50 a minute at x1 means I'm losing gold to upkeep, and I'm not even wearing expensive equipment.  I'm sorry I haven't been around long enough to amass a huge stockpile to allow me to fund decent gear despite my multi.  Yet I see people in full plate 24/7.

This game is starting to make even less sense.