Author Topic: Throwing needs a serius buff <-----------------------------  (Read 10908 times)

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
Throwing needs a serius buff <-----------------------------
« on: April 12, 2014, 12:45:20 pm »
+19
Yes that is all, more dmg more ammo.

Cause? Cause throwing is shit.

1. Lowest ammo count in the game, compared to the other ranged classes the ammo is a complete fucking joke in weight comparison / Check

2. Complete crap accuracy / Check

3. Dmg is a joke due to the low ammo, you carry a shit ton of weight to maybe kill 1 or 2 players with your entire stack of +3 throwing weapons / Check

4. Crap range, due to missile speed / Check

Throwing in general is just a class for shit n gigles an byzantium spartan roleplay events or strongman troll thrower builds.

Make throwing a decent viable class, thinking how old this mod is, its about time thx.

/End

EDIT: Love how the horde of 2h´s pole´s Cav´s are misusing me for showing up a case of crappy balance.....
Fuck this biased piece of shit forum....
Here is a little bit of throwing history thx to cheap shot

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 06:13:11 pm by Tzar »
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline HoboJoe

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: BUFF THROWING!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 01:26:18 pm »
+1
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but agreed!
I am American, and therefore it is my business to meddle in other peoples affairs.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: BUFF THROWING!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 01:36:48 pm »
+1
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but agreed!

Im not.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 01:43:40 pm by Tzar »
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Mr.K.

• Earl
  • Renown: 474
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Union
Re: Throwing needs a serius buff <-----------------------------
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 02:30:41 pm »
+1
The speed bonus nerf severely reduced the ability to work in anti-cav duty on my thrower. Before the last three nerfs (speed bonus, armor soak and jarid nerf), I was able to stand in the middle of a field killing all the cavalry that was too crazy to charge full speed head on at me. Now they just laugh at me when I throw a Jarid at their horse and onehit me with a lance or bumpslash. Throwing is still fairly strong against infantry though, although not OP as it was few months ago.

Give back our speed bonus or implement some kind of bonus against cavalry. Throwers should be the go-to ranged class for melee in anti-cav duty, but now it's too risky. Still viable, but prolly the weakest ranged class in game. Horse throwers would love to get their speed bonus back as well, they are pretty much useless atm, unless get a ton of lucky headshots.

Offline Aksei

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 02:36:14 pm »
yes and no^^

with my throwing alt, indeed it is the hardest class from what i did play. But ill think and will try that with the next retire ..... the throwing stuff is like extra weapon, not made for main build

And then i think its quiet good, if i make 1h shielder and have some darts with me for skirmish. Only the weight sucks

Offline Rico

• King
  • Renown: 1021
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rico, Mila
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 08:50:53 pm »
Buff idea: For each 3 skill points spend on PT and or WM for throwing wpf only, you can increase PT or WM for throwing wpf only by another 1.

STR and AGI caps with the 1/3 rule still apply.

It sounds easy and theory, and in practice it will probably be complicated to improve your build optimally within this system, but if throwing is really UP (which I don't know cuz I do not play dedicated thrower), this suggestion could be better than nothing.
Streaming cRPG, Supreme Commander and Age of Empires II on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/HeavenTV

Offline Ujio

• Knight
  • Renown: 70
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 09:20:14 pm »
Only if they make it so people who switch to Throwing,
half way through a duel have
their implement boomerang back and hit them in the face.

"By protecting Men, you save yourself."

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 09:32:59 pm »
+2
I think some of the cut throwing weapons might still need a little more ammo or damage because of the ranged soak change. The spears, jarids, and javs still seem pretty good, though. The way ranged accuracy works, decreasing damage also increases the accuracy, which is pretty crazy. I might have to respec back to a thrower again to see if the accuracy change really didn't help enough. I would imagine pure throwers at least would have some decent accuracy now.

Mr. K brings up some interesting points. I think a good intermediate solution would be to make the horse's head a better weak spot against ranged (and melee IMO while lowering the leg armour weakness). That change may be WSE2, though.

Here are the most recent changes in list format

Darts: +2 accuracy
Throwing Daggers: +2 accuracy
Javelin: +7 accuracy +1 damage
War Darts: +3 accuracy, -1 damage
Franciscas: +4 accuracy, +1 ammo, -1 damage
Throwing Axes: +7 accuracy, +1 ammo, -2 damage
Heavy Throwing Axes: +6 accuracy, +1 ammo, -4 damage
Throwing Spears: +8 accuracy (same accuracy the current jarids have), -2 damage
Jarids: +6 accuracy, -3 damage
Throwing Lance: +5 accuracy
Throwing Hammers: +7 accuracy, +5 damage

All throwing stars: +2 accuracy

It mostly looked like a buff when I read it, but as always, it might need a closer inspection still.

Offline Mr.K.

• Earl
  • Renown: 474
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Union
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 09:54:50 pm »
It mostly looked like a buff when I read it, but as always, it might need a closer inspection still.

Playing a pure 15/24 troll thrower for two gens+ it's clearly not a buff imo. I played it quite differently ofc compared to some other people (abusing the speed bonus to the max), but accuracy was never a problem for me. I was accurate enough while at full speed before the nerf and when stopping I could aim for ranged and other stationary targets from far enough away as it was. The "buff" was unnecessary, while the damage nerf was a big deal, especially after the soak nerf. I can no longer onehit medium-heavy infantry with one head hit nor can I do anything against heavy cav (too much HP).

But as I said, it's still quite strong against medium-to-light infantry and I'd like to see a buff only against cavalry. And for those who don't know my "main" is cav.

Offline oreshy

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Braxli
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 10:37:04 pm »
+1
...buffed accuracy + nerfed speeddamage bonus = lol.

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • Renown: 965
  • Infamy: 309
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BashiBazouks
  • Game nicks: HarunYahya,HarunShootya,Inan
  • IRC nick: HarunYahya
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 07:37:13 am »
siktir git amk.
I have a throwing alt,if you find it underpowered , its either you fucked up your build or you got a fucked up brain.
This shit is retardedly unrealistic I shot a guy at flag from fucking siege tower with a damn jarid.

What did you expect carrying 50 throwing lances ?
Throwing is not a fucking "ranged" class.
Never supposed to be.

It's either low-range skirmisher class or infantry with an option to throw shit at enemy before the charge.

You base your suggestion to comparison of throwing and archery ...
Thats just sad.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 12:29:55 pm »

Offline F i n

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1148
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Hi
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fin
  • IRC nick: Fin
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 12:45:44 pm »
+9
Well it was a really big nerf after all.

With my 15/24 (27) throwing build i used to have a positive kd ratio all the time. I was able to deal more damage by throwing my axes than if i'd swing them.

After the patch it was just... yeah. At first i was happy cus of more ammo, but when i realized on eu1 that the damage was somehow weirdish, i did a damage test on eu3.

A dude with a mail-hauberk took 8 axes without his hp being below 1/3... (heavy throwing axes +3).

And after that i (for the last time) decided i'd rather use a class with working weapons.

Really a shame tho that after 16 gens of throwing im a 2h now... never thought this would happen. But throwing is just useless (except for trolling builds) atm.

"Life was easier as a borderline alcoholic." (chadz, 2016)

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 12:55:16 pm »
+1
Sorry to hear that Finaud  :rolleyes:

If they dont fix throwing they should hand out free respecs and loom returns, at this point we might aswell realize devs will never give a shit about throwing.

Offline F i n

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1148
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Hi
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fin
  • IRC nick: Fin
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2014, 01:54:22 pm »
+6
If they dont fix throwing they should hand out free respecs and loom returns, at this point we might aswell realize devs will never give a shit about throwing.

I don't think they give a shit. Changing the stats (especially ammo) proves that. IMO tho that changes rather destroyed the class than balancing it.

I just think they need some feedback on the latest changes - cus i don't know if any of the devs is as much into throwing as we are ;).

But that's just why i'm writing here - telling them that this change was MASSIVE - and actually not buffing but really, really nerfing throwing & rendering it almost useless.

As a dedicated thrower i'm quite sensitive when it comes to any changes.. cus i know this class quite well. And that's why i think it's my (and other veteran throwers') duty to feedback the last patch:

First of all the following statements are based on my build and equipment only - i don't know how the pierce throwing weapons compete to the cut line - so i'll try and only talk about the things that i know for sure:

My (old) build:

(31) 15/24 , 5ps, 5pt, 8wm, 8athl, 140 wpf in throwing, 130 in 1h

Equipment

(+3) Leathervest, (+3) Rus Cav Boots, (+3) Leather gloves, (+3) Heavy Throwing axes, (+3) Feltcap / no helmet.

The past few years described from an all-time dedicated-throwing point of view:

The whole "feeling" changed a lot. When i started throwing it was more like a really fast paced, dynamic combat. Always switching between throwing and melee, never standing still, jumping around like a rabbit etc. And it was most fun - eventhough i got onehit all the time... and wasn't really able to kill sh**.

Then there was the "golden ages" when i finally got used to that type of gameplay and changed my build to a 15/24 agi build. Accuracy was fine, damage was quite good but not OP, ammo was OK - after all the class was helping the whole team countering cav - and at the same time it was strong strong on it's own. The offensive-potential was average i'd say... maybe not as good as the classic melee classes but decent. You were able to actually really get the job done if you were carefull and fast.

Archers were the main nemesis, but at least you could kill them with 1 or two shots (low armor) once you got close...

Then there was the "high damage, low ammo ages". Heavy throwing axes now only had 2 ammo but more damage - at the same time, franciscas and throwing axes had more ammo but less damage - i think that was the devs changed their vision on what role throwing will play in the future. It gave more diversity to the throwing axes, but by limiting the Ammo to 2 on HTA, most of the players decided to rather stick to stick-throwing. The ammount of throwers increased a lot after that patch. But after all, it was still playable and still fun.

However during this period, those who kept their axes in hands - me included - were able to oneshot warhorses, when they were charging. Throwing now was kind of too strong... at least IMO.

BUT: For me the whole "thrill" of being a thrower was just gone... There were too many of them - and most of them were using oneshot lances. Also changing weapon modes wasn't as "immediate" as it used to. It was much more difficult to actually keep the high speed - dynamic back and forth style i've acquired in the past years. I just felt slow. Strong, but slow. One word:

changed (and not into something good)

For me it was really hard to react to these changes because i still tried to play my old "style" - which just wasn't working anymore. For those who don't know what i'm talking about:

Imagine you're a 2 hander and all of a sudden your hit-animations are at half speed while your damage was doubled.

I was playing a completely different class after this patch. I couldn't use the stuff i've learned anymore.

At this time i tried loads of different builds cus i just couldn't enjoy my favourite class anymore.

Then there came the recent "back to 3 ammo"- patch which made me respec to my old 15/24 build again (i was cav before). When i first played a few rounds i was like "yeah!!!! good old times weeeeeeeee" - but then i kinda got disenchanted when i finally closed in on an archer that was trying to shoot me (also hit me once, taking 75% of my hp) - i thought "and now that fucker's gonna die" and threw my first axe - hitting his head (his armor: byrnie, rus cav boots, leather gloves and some nordic helmet). But the dude just kept shooting. so i threw my second axe - missed. the third one hit his chest, he pulled his sword and charged. I switched to melee, hitting him once more - he did not drop - he stabbed me with his lil short sword and i died. And i was like :

"but ok" i thought, "you can't be lucky every round" and kept on playing.

But when i realized, that i couldn't even kill a low lvl peasant with a pitchfork and a shirt with 2 !!!!!!!! (+3) HEAVY throwing axes, i kinda felt betrayed.

Heavy Armor - 2h heros didn't even seem to care about my axes at all since 50% of them just disappeard making that funny "chhhrp ching" sound that's played when a hit bounces, dealing no damage...

So the bottom line is:

-I need 10 of my 12 axes to kill the average player.
-I still pay the same ammount of upkeep for the axes.
-The weight is still too much and the damage is not balancing this penalty anymore
-Did i just say "damage"?
-A really enjoyable build, that worked just fine for 16 gens, is now completely useless.
-The new accuracy and speed on axes is not even noticable at all.

Throwing is dead at the moment.

and all i can do is hoping it'll get resurrected one day - and providing feedback.

So to all fellow, sad throwers out there: tell me your story and revolt with me once we're enough ppl.
"Life was easier as a borderline alcoholic." (chadz, 2016)