Author Topic: Rise and Shine: Strategus 2014, starting 16th February, 2000 CET  (Read 61258 times)

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
Re: Rise and Shine: Strategus 2014, starting 15th February
« Reply #120 on: February 08, 2014, 01:42:04 pm »
what i find really sad and makes me angry,

that even the big clans say they have too many advantages, implying they are able to pretty much rofl stomp all others within 6 months, that me and others are telling for years to orientate the efficency towards smaller and medium sized clans instead of not regulating and giving factions with 200 or even 300+ members the opportunity to neglect diplomacy, not like GO/DRZ as friends did anything against each other and just circle jerk when it comes to it.

@chadz
With what reasoning chadz do you justify, that you allow Mega Factions? I tried with suggestions to make you aware, that with a diplomatic system, you may become able to regulate things, but well those suggestions may have been too late as you were already onto your own game development. What i can promise you, if your new game wont include a balancing, that smaller and medium sized clans, have a fair chance to survive and may even get a shot at huger clans in cooperation with others, that then i gladly just ignore that i spend money onto that game and search myself a different hobby. ... Not like Mega Cooperation which build monopolies would be allowed as normally they fuck up the market, well depending what country you are looking at you may see what happens when they keep unchecked. MEga Factions here in Strategus are not so much different, they pool people and therefor are able to gather faster ressoruces ... that then is not about Strategy anymore, so perhaps rename teh game into *Megagrindfestival&roflstomp*, but i would not use Strategus then anymore as name, implying you need lots of brains to succeed. Organizing lots of people, is surly not easy, but then again, of those 200-350 players each of DRZ and G=, how many are normally in the roster?
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #121 on: February 08, 2014, 02:20:52 pm »
+3
If you have any *working* suggestion to stop people from creating large factions, feel free to tell me, because I've been looking for a solution for years now.

Offline serr

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 293
  • Infamy: 19
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wataga
« Reply #122 on: February 08, 2014, 02:40:09 pm »
+2
People will create large factions no matter what you do, the question is will it ruin game for others or not.
My suggestion: make towns uncapturable, but lootable.
This way all neutral players and small factions will always have place to build up, there will be trade routes, neutral players can run caravans without stealing anyone's sd(because it doesn't belong to anyone).
We'll still see some town's attacks for profit(since good gear will be very expensive - troops won't be always more important than gold like it was this strat).
How much will attacker get if he wins.. I'd say neutral towns should have tax rate around 15% and taxes should be added to treasury. When someone successfully loot town - he gets all. This way sooner or later it will be profitable to attack a town and it won't be exploit like attack it every week since treasury won't fill up that fast. 

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 08, 2014, 02:41:04 pm »
+6
Kinngrimm you dont propose one single idea in your post. Because there is no way, without killing freedom.

People have free will, and that free will means anything can happen, which is good.
What you blame, is the history the players of this community created. They dont want something else, or the history would have been different.

The only thing that could limit the potential of big clans from dominating the whole map, would be to have a bigger playerbase : more players means more groups potentially non-affiliated with the previous big clans.
See EVE Online political system : it is as free as strategus, and you have big alliances which holds big territories, but also small groups which holds small ones.

If you're small and weak, and want as much reward as someone that is big and strong, you forgot rule number one of strategus : player count.

Now, I wish all clan with more than 100 players would split in several clans, to encourage a more diverse world, but there is a big difference between personal expectation and reality.

Offline Switchtense

• King
  • Renown: 1137
  • Infamy: 137
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • poking you where the sun dont shine!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Unicorns, BIRD CLAN BEST CLAN!
  • Game nicks: All sorts of Switch's
  • IRC nick: Switchtense
« Reply #124 on: February 08, 2014, 03:39:24 pm »
If you have any *working* suggestion to stop people from creating large factions, feel free to tell me, because I've been looking for a solution for years now.

limit strat faction sizes to a lower number, like 10 or so, and in the end of strat give the faction with the most fiefs 2lps for each member or so and then watch everybody bash each others heads in :lol:
For all the non-believers, look no further than this thread for proof that while strat battles are won/lost in NA3/EU3, strat wars are won and lost on the forums.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #125 on: February 08, 2014, 03:50:40 pm »
+1
Even if you split up clans like that into smaller factions, what keeps them from playing together and in the end they're still a big faction.

What the clans have to decide themselves, is that they're more open for some fun/action instead of keeping all 100 members in one faction, they could split up in two and fight each other... It's totally up to the players.
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Switchtense

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 08, 2014, 03:53:30 pm »
+2
Even if you split up clans like that into smaller factions, what keeps them from playing together and in the end they're still a big faction.

What the clans have to decide themselves, is that they're more open for some fun/action instead of keeping all 100 members in one faction, they could split up in two and fight each other... It's totally up to the players.

thats why i said give the winning faction loompoints, or gold or whatever, so that even if many factions play together, only one gets rewarded, that way they might turn against each other in the end or something
For all the non-believers, look no further than this thread for proof that while strat battles are won/lost in NA3/EU3, strat wars are won and lost on the forums.

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #127 on: February 08, 2014, 03:56:32 pm »
I heavily doubt that. 20 LP isn't that big amount to let people stop doing what they want to do and did for years. :P
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Corsair831

• King
  • Renown: 1168
  • Infamy: 616
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 08, 2014, 04:07:13 pm »
+3

alliance mechanic gives you economic bonuses

lower amount of players (or higher number of clans) in an alliance gives a scaling economic bonus

encourages smaller clans to band together

edit: tbh, if you just extracted money straight from the village you owned rather than caravaning, i'd have attacked everyone around me, it's the fact that if i declare war on them i then can't send a caravan through their lands that's making me have to keep in alliances with every other bugger on the map :(

edit2: come on kinngrim, what, you're expecting that you and your 5 mates can take on greys or byzantium with 1/4 the members?!

in what world would that be fair?

if you're smaller than us, get more friends and come at us 2 or 3 clans at a time
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 04:11:18 pm by Corsair831 »
I 10/10'd cRPG on moddb.com!

Do your bit for our community and write a 10/10 review for cRPG on http://www.moddb.com/mods/crpg !

Offline GRANDMOM

• Marshall
  • Renown: 920
  • Infamy: 140
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GRANDMOM
« Reply #129 on: February 08, 2014, 04:11:42 pm »
thats why i said give the winning faction loompoints, or gold or whatever, so that even if many factions play together, only one gets rewarded, that way they might turn against each other in the end or something

This would work, just need enough to feed peoples greed - sooner or later those small clans would turn against each other even if they would be from the same original clan. If there is noone left to fight they would fight each other.

We're working on something cooler than a blog.

Offline Switchtense

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 08, 2014, 04:21:57 pm »
+1
let each member of the winning faction get their own personal weapon only they can use (not OP)

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #131 on: February 08, 2014, 04:25:33 pm »
This.
I like how devs did a lot of pro-big clan & economic reducing features & forgot about main problem - sitting on our asses in our fiefs.
With shitty equip it would be even more painfull to attack enemy fiefs since you loose more tickets & give your precious platetunics(which cost as plate now) to the enemy.
So it would be like this:
-month 1-5 big clans take AI & minor clans villages
-month 6-10 big clans take AI castles & cities. Oh, & moving caravans of course.
-wipe. Strat 6.

Also my personal thanks for destroing crossbowmen class. Less PP, higher prises means that we will see arbalests at the last day before wipe.
Don't belive me? We crafted first arbalests(1-2 per xbowman for entire battle) in about 2 months from Strat 4 start. And DRZ had the best economics back there.
Basically crossbowmen would be as popular as throwers at Strat 4 :lol:
Archers are screwed too but not as much.
Best class to play would be 2h. All you need is some cheap axe to onehit light armored dudes & cheap shields.

Well why should you be able to start out with nothing and take towns and castles really quickly? Why should you be able to equip armies with the best of everything :P

I think this is good because strat becomes pointless once Drz and GO get a few towns because you never fight and its game over for everyone else (even if the entire map did ally up and give UIF a good fight whats the point? fighting the same people every strat is boring). At least this way we get some clan wars and battles for castles and villages and fighting over claims before you guys kill strat :P
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 08, 2014, 04:53:15 pm »
+5
To be honest, even with DRZ/GO being (at worst) neutral to each other all the time, everything else failed to stay stable from day 1 to day 365. Round 4 was fairly interesting to watch.

Most big factions had also big up & down (some completely disappeared and new ones emerged), most alliances got hit hard or crumbled at one point or another (CFA, Apostates, Crusaders, even UIF/Coalition...), almost everyone attacked everyone at least once;

What I find useless now, is trying to force other people to do what you would like to do (in term of diplomacy), only the might will make right in strategus;
Also as everyone worth their salt have witnessed, new rounds doesnt mean new diplomacy, its only a reboot of clan progress: the story will continue on the same road as long as we have the same people behind the wheels. Its nor bad nor good, but the truth. Thats why I liked the fact that the round 4 was so long (except for other people motivation problems and gameplay bugs), you could see the story move on and on without a strategus pause.

Lets write the next story together  :P

Offline Segd

• Marshall
  • Renown: 845
  • Infamy: 88
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 08, 2014, 04:59:35 pm »
At least this way we get some clan wars and battles for castles and villages and fighting over claims before you guys kill strat :P
Sure, keep dreaming!  8-) I remember how fun it was to defend AI fiefs while you had 2 times smaler roster & no discipline.

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #134 on: February 08, 2014, 05:03:04 pm »
only reason you would have smaller roster is because clans abused the system. I hope that signing up for AI battles against your clan is bannable this time round
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk