Poll

Will it be better than bannerlord?

Yeah, way better
97 (43.1%)
Don't think so
128 (56.9%)

Total Members Voted: 225

Author Topic: Kingdom Come: Deliverance  (Read 61800 times)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Kingdom Come: Deliverance
« Reply #150 on: February 03, 2014, 11:50:51 pm »
Unless fired frontally and at point blank, I don't think arrows would easily pierce through mail, and even if they did, the mail would absorb a lot of force and the arrow would stop in the gambeson beneath, probably not harming the user yet.

Anyways, let's hope they don't see WoTR and think "yes, in our game we don't want blocking/parrying to work either"

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 03, 2014, 11:51:35 pm »
Yes, it is at point blank range -- however medieval longbows were much stronger than the ones people pull today.

Unless fired frontally and at point blank, I don't think arrows would easily pierce through mail, and even if they did, the mail would absorb a lot of force and the arrow would stop in the gambeson beneath, probably not harming the user yet.

What you "think" is really, utterly irrelevant. Provide some evidence. You called someone out for saying chainmail is not effective against arrows, then all you can offer is what you "think"? Weak.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 03, 2014, 11:55:12 pm »
What you "think" is really, utterly irrelevant. Provide some evidence. You called someone out for saying chainmail is not effective against arrows, then all you can offer is what you "think"? Weak.

Unless you didn't notice, "heretic" wasn't meant to add weight to my words. And no I don't have any experimental evidence.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 04, 2014, 01:16:16 am »
+1
I am inclined to agree with Kafein that I don't believe mail offered bad protection against arrows and did a quick google, this forum post contains some references to actual tests, but more interestingly historical references of mail clad warriors being unfazed by arrows.

http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.php?41041-Armour-FAQs&p=493518#post493518

Yes, it is at point blank range -- however medieval longbows were much stronger than the ones people pull today.
I googled your test and the guy who tested it claimed that his choice of bows and arrows at this reach approximated the impact of the English longbows. A highly trained longbowmen with a high draw weight bow is hardly the average Medieval archer though. Also, the test was also done at 20 feet with the same bow and it is evident that the low distance has a huge impact on the test results, as 5 extra feet resulted in damage to some links, but the arrow bouncing off 3 out of 3 times.

If you then take into account battle situations where mail would often be hit at an angle or that the arrow would often be fired from 50-200 meters, I think this test does not at all prove that mail offers little protection against arrows. Seems to me that mail would provide good, but not infallible protection if combined with proper padding.

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 400
  • Infamy: 502
  • cRPG Player
  • Darksider on redemption
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 04, 2014, 11:53:05 am »

Why dont you try it out yourself (or better yet on yourself) if you dont believe it?

And to be honest, only a small number of archers were actually able to use long bow, due to the immense strenght required to draw the string.

EDIT: oops didnt notice Teeths answer.
Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.
Cloud: And that is?
Tseng: Bitches, man.

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • Renown: 275
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Billy_Whitmore, Andre_Whitmore, Gideon_Stargrave
« Reply #155 on: February 05, 2014, 02:58:06 am »
Only on this forum would all the nerds blow up about the historical validity of something that a PR guy mentioned in passing as a crude example.

Mail is less effective against stabs/arrows than plate. Fin. That's all he was trying to get across.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Most of us are currently living off relatives, friends, parttime-jobs or savings, to be able to work as much and cheaply as possible.

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 05, 2014, 03:33:25 am »
been in a discussion about chain mail and arrows before on tld forums, and when I read into it (including but not only what teeth linked) I found that I and most people are wrong. those tests you see where some chain mail is put on wood and shot through by arrows is not a fair or realistic test.

The reality is much more interesting, and makes sense; people didn't wear a extremely hard to make expensive type of armour for a thousand years for no reason.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 05, 2014, 01:31:00 pm »

The reality is much more interesting, and makes sense; people didn't wear a extremely hard to make expensive type of armour for a thousand years for no reason.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Sagar

• Earl
  • Renown: 463
  • Infamy: 279
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bogumili
  • Game nicks: Sagar
  • IRC nick: Sagar
« Reply #158 on: February 06, 2014, 06:13:40 pm »
Video Update #3: Horses

Next video update: Combat system

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #159 on: February 06, 2014, 09:51:13 pm »
Video Update #3: Horses

Next video update: Combat system

1:03 "You can also whistle and your horse will come to you", thieves!!!!

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 06, 2014, 10:21:57 pm »
Also, this heretic in the video thinks chainmail was weak against arrows... If it was, they would have ditched the mail after less than a millenia.

Yeah. Most enthusiasts buy some mail armor that's called "historical riveted" and think it's the real deal. Most mail armor you can buy nowadays is made in India and doesn't compare in the slightest to historical mail armor. A good hit from a bodkin arrow may burst the rings, but there's still the gambeson below, which will stop it after it has lost most of the momentum in the mail.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #161 on: February 06, 2014, 11:36:02 pm »
Yeah. Most enthusiasts buy some mail armor that's called "historical riveted" and think it's the real deal. Most mail armor you can buy nowadays is made in India and doesn't compare in the slightest to historical mail armor. A good hit from a bodkin arrow may burst the rings, but there's still the gambeson below, which will stop it after it has lost most of the momentum in the mail.

Or in my case it would just be the solid muscle below that stops the arrow.

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 06, 2014, 11:38:02 pm »
Or in my case it would just be the solid muscle below that stops the arrow.

Only a psychopath would wear chain-mail without gambeson (or anything else to soften the blow).
Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 06, 2014, 11:40:29 pm »
Metal rings on your skin in summer, sounds like fun

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 06, 2014, 11:44:49 pm »
Metal rings on your skin in summer, sounds like fun

Fuck no, I would rather make myself a t-shirt from wire.