Author Topic: Ranged, what counters you best?  (Read 1931 times)

Offline Lethwin Far Seeker

• Earl
  • Renown: 363
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Ward of Mithrim
  • Game nicks: The House of Tiercel
Re: Ranged, what counters you best?
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2013, 02:07:27 pm »
+3
Playing as heavy cav I feel in no way a counter to archers.  If they don't kill my horse getting up to them then they dodge around me hacking and slashing at it (or shotgunning) until they do.  Meanwhile I desperately flail about with my 1h cav sword animations achieving nothing.  Often the best way to take them down is just run them over a bunch but I feel like a dick doing that. 

Playing as an archer, cav isn't much of a threat to me unless they charge en masse for the reasons stated above.  Currently I find the greatest counter to me is a crossbow.  Shielders are not much of a problem because if they don't get hit by something else I can usually deal with them using my side arm.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2013, 05:37:22 pm »
Well, after my playing HA for a few weeks, I couldn't pick any counter really. It depends highly on the way you play. Personally, I always stuck rather close to the fighting and got therefore killed by a lot of random weapons.

But if you choose to play like an asshole - which some of our HAs obviously do - then there basicly is no counter.

Xbow reload is fucking slow and when you spot one aiming at you, I rarely got hit but my warhorse soaked the bolt and before he could fire again I was already far far away or harassed him during his reloading.

Other archers were probably the worst cuz they can spam as much as you can with a steady aim. But again, seeing the archers pocket - they rarely spread out a lot - gives you the means to stay away from them. Not to mention that my unloomed warhorse easily takes 8 and more arrows before it dies.

Infantry is only dangerous when you make a mistake in riding. They are useless.

My conclusion is that there is no real counter but if something has to be named then I say Archers for the spamming capabilities.

This is particularly for Horse Archer. That class is pretty strong imho.

The problem with HA and HX is that they don't control the flow of battle.  They can't capture flags.  So if flags were to spawn earlier in the round, they would be even more useless to the actual winning of rounds.  They soften up cavalry, and soften up ninjas who don't stick with their teammates, but they do jack shit for winning rounds (unless the enemy team is retarded).   

The best counter to archers we don't really utilize in game, and that's MotF.  If infantry are given an objective to fight over (territory) rather than "kill everyone" they can fight for ground.  Instead what we have now, is infantry choosing between camping behind a building for 3 minutes, or pushing up a hill to fight archers who are in a superior position. 
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 05:42:13 pm by CrazyCracka420 »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2013, 06:36:45 pm »
+1
The problem with HA and HX is that they don't control the flow of battle.  They can't capture flags.  So if flags were to spawn earlier in the round, they would be even more useless to the actual winning of rounds.  They soften up cavalry, and soften up ninjas who don't stick with their teammates, but they do jack shit for winning rounds (unless the enemy team is retarded).   

The best counter to archers we don't really utilize in game, and that's MotF.  If infantry are given an objective to fight over (territory) rather than "kill everyone" they can fight for ground.  Instead what we have now, is infantry choosing between camping behind a building for 3 minutes, or pushing up a hill to fight archers who are in a superior position.
I think they just fixed that with the current patch or are very close to fixing it.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D