Author Topic: Is the influx of new players, in your opinion, good or bad? Here's my take:  (Read 6383 times)

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 400
  • Infamy: 502
  • cRPG Player
  • Darksider on redemption
    • View Profile
Majority of them just probably play for week or 2 and quit when they realise the harsh reality that they are at a serious disadvantage when it comes to looms, money and melee skills.
imo looms and levels make this mod extremely unfriendly to newcommers. they should remake it and make the max level like 15 with 2 points of skill and atributes per level, or make leveling faster.
Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.
Cloud: And that is?
Tseng: Bitches, man.

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
How could the influx of new players be a bad thing whatsoever? Always happy to see new players in a mod for an indie-game.

Offline Burr1ck

• Earl
  • Renown: 314
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
  • The Mercenaries are on Twitch.tv. Check the topic!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Burrick, Stimpy
imo looms and levels make this mod extremely unfriendly to newcommers. they should remake it and make the max level like 15 with 2 points of skill and atributes per level, or make leveling faster.

Nope, I rather for the devs to continue to improve and advance the mod rather than to simplify the mod like making it any easier to suit the new players more. The mod already has been through a ton of changes in the last 3 odd years, levelling is faster than before and players can now skip the fun to reach high level. Too much compromise is bad for this mod. However, to make it easier for new players, more development on tutorials and instructions of the mod on the main cRPG site would be helpful.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"Art thou the hammer, or art thou the nail? From the view of the beam, 'tis all the same. But for the nail, 'tis very different."
- Hammerite

The Mercenaries's YouTube channel

Offline Eugen

• Count
  • Renown: 180
  • Infamy: 26
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Postla
The first time someone logs in cRPG, it should just make them lvl 30 with a 24/15 build, with a kuyak and longsword. Save them the trouble of a year trying to learn a good build/gear combo; they'll jump right in and be killing machines in no time.
[...]

First I thought great idea. But no. It is not. Imagine the hating when a total noob slashes around on battlefield teamhitting and teamkilling like boss, becouse he has no clue how to fight. No No. Noobs gotta start as peasants and learn the battleskills from the bitter roots. Nothing beats one simple man (or hot chick) fighting for his/her life!

And no I dont like the idea to push newcomers to try Skip the fun. Just becouse... see above.

Being peasant is the best way to get a feeling for this game imo. Peasants add the atmospher of real people fighting for theire village, theire familiy and stuff. They can scout, bring siege equipment, help the veterans as they fend off horses with theire hay forks, and poke defending enemys with theire poles, trying to be as much of a nuisance as possible and lots of other stuff. Its just the way of this game. Be peasant first get killer later.

This also presses the point, that this game should be a team-sport. And peasants are the classical supporter class as they are on theire way to become mighty heroes themselfs.

Only thing is, newbies may not know what they are getting into. So tell em. And be nice. Damn I will have to cut my sarcasm in game. WTF. Teamkillers, Spawnrapers, Delayers - scum enough to be sarcastic to.  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 09:09:10 am by Eugen »

Offline Burr1ck

• Earl
  • Renown: 314
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
  • The Mercenaries are on Twitch.tv. Check the topic!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Merc_Burrick, Stimpy
cRPG is the best peasant simulator, so it's an honor for new players to play the game.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 10:39:47 am by Burr1ck »

"Art thou the hammer, or art thou the nail? From the view of the beam, 'tis all the same. But for the nail, 'tis very different."
- Hammerite

The Mercenaries's YouTube channel

Offline clement42

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Gladiateur_Warimus, LUCKY_LUKE, Darklolz_da_Bitch
good

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Nope, I rather for the devs to continue to improve and advance the mod rather than to simplify the mod like making it any easier to suit the new players more. The mod already has been through a ton of changes in the last 3 odd years, levelling is faster than before and players can now skip the fun to reach high level. Too much compromise is bad for this mod. However, to make it easier for new players, more development on tutorials and instructions of the mod on the main cRPG site would be helpful.
keep in mind that not a lot people have patience to be repeatedly slaughtered by those who has been playing this since its release.

this is why most of other games try to keep lower level players in servers with lower levels, give them kit that can compete with longer playing players equipment, or at least try to thoroughtly explain what is combat about, along with tips and tricks, like: disadvantages or advantages of class, weapon attributes, shopping, how to make cash and so on.

crpg is completely devoid of all of these things, thus making newbs to leave just because they are uninformed and at extreme dissadvantage.

Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
cRPG is the best peasant simulator, so it's an honor for new players to play the game.
if you meant peasant oppresion simulator, then you are right. bit if you meant PEASANT simulator, then you are horribly wrong, as crpg is polar opposite.

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
I definitely think the new influx of players is a good thing. With the mods population dwindling a bit I think they really help the mod. I know I tell as many people as I can when MB goes on steam sale. The more the merrier!

Offline Eugen

• Count
  • Renown: 180
  • Infamy: 26
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Postla
[...]this is why most of other games try to keep lower level players in servers with lower levels, give them kit that can compete with longer playing players equipment, or at least try to thoroughtly explain what is combat about,

Let me tell you my view Nightmare. I like c-rpg becouse its not like other games. Indeed this game does not take your hand and offers no protection for beginning careers. It puts you at odds with stronger players and you have to learn to cope with this. And its possible. One of the most statisfieng things in game were, when I first successfully backstabbed and stunned some fighters so teammates could kill them or my first succesful series of blocks or when I lured some fighters eager for an easy kill into a trap. Shure I died a many times at the beginning of my career (maybe this didt chang so much x_x)but I could explore the game on my own and develop my own style without restricting and overprotecting mechanics. On the battlefield all are what they are and have to cope with theire (un-)abilitys and try to get better.

along with tips and tricks, like: disadvantages or advantages of class, weapon attributes, shopping, how to make cash and so on.

For all new players who read this:
Try duelling on duel servers for practicing your skills. Use the lvl cap server to practice fighting without those lvl 31+ veterans.  Ask ingame or in forum. If you have got a hang on the fighting mechanics try Skip The Fun and try some character builts on level 30. And use the forum guides. They help a lot. And all answers for most possible questions are there.

Enjoy a challenging and deep medieval fighting game. I really look forward for new players in here. Questions are always welcome.
Death-chat in battleservers is really a good opportunity to ask other players and learn some stuff.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 08:50:38 am by Eugen »

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
Bring down the ban hammer on the dreaded noobs, they aren't contributing to the team!
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Aethelwolf

• Baron
  • Renown: 84
  • Infamy: 8
  • Mercenaries
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Merc_Aethelwolf
I'm happy about new players coming, at least I will not be the only noob around here :D
We just need to tell them one thing that is more important than any other. Don't buy magyar helmet! That is what I remember I did as a first thing. As soon I had money, I was saying to myself: What about I buy myself a nice cool looking helmet, that would be really great. HELL NO!
Aethelwolf, son of Uhtred, rightful owner of the Bebbanburg castle

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
You sir have a problem with my beloved Magyar helmet, you have a problem with me!
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Let me tell you my view Nightmare. I like c-rpg becouse its not like other games. Indeed this game does not take your hand and offers no protection for beginning careers. It puts you at odds with stronger players and you have to learn to cope with this. And its possible. One of the most statisfieng things in game were, when I first successfully backstabbed and stunned some fighters so teammates could kill them or my first succesful series of blocks or when I lured some fighters eager for an easy kill into a trap. Shure I died a many times at the beginning of my career (maybe this didt chang so much x_x)but I could explore the game on my own and develop my own style without restricting and overprotecting mechanics. On the battlefield all are what they are and have to cope with theire (un-)abilitys and try to get better.

For all new players who read this:
Try duelling on duel servers for practicing your skills. Use the lvl cap server to practice fighting without those lvl 31+ veterans.  Ask ingame or in forum. If you have got a hang on the fighting mechanics try Skip The Fun and try some character builts on level 30. And use the forum guides. They help a lot. And all answers for most possible questions are there.

Enjoy a challenging and deep medieval fighting game. I really look forward for new players in here. Questions are always welcome.
Death-chat in battleservers is really a good opportunity to ask other players and learn some stuff.
having 0/21 is sure a great motivator for peasants, and it will surely keep them in game with those maxed out scrubs spamming their arses with huge ass swords.
you know mp games should have same terms for everyone, or at least make the differences subtle. it might have been fun before, when loads of people were peasants, but not much now.

Offline Winterly

• Count
  • Renown: 230
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
  • I play with Quiet Mode On.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
having 0/21 is sure a great motivator for peasants, and it will surely keep them in game with those maxed out scrubs spamming their arses with huge ass swords.
you know mp games should have same terms for everyone, or at least make the differences subtle. it might have been fun before, when loads of people were peasants, but not much now.

Then cRPG, a game based on no-life grinding, is not the game for you if you're looking for a MP game with "same terms" for everyone.
Winterly's Stuff(selling Courser/buying head and foot armor)
I love how most EU players insert an imaginary "f" into my name: Winterfly.
"Life is kind of like peeing into the snow in a dark winter night, you probably made a difference, but it's really hard to tell" - Joe Wong