Author Topic: Is the influx of new players, in your opinion, good or bad? Here's my take:  (Read 6408 times)

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
I think it would be nice to give peasants better weapons. remove the no block chamber only crap you can start with and give them a polearm, 2h and a shield/1h to pick from :P ofc still peasant weapons like scythe, club, practice shield, practice longsword. :P 
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
I think everyone should take a step back and do this too from time to time, because you can see the stars in their lifeless eyeballs in the rare occurence they actually kill you.

:mrgreen:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
When I'm sure some guy is a real peasant, sometimes I try to handicap myself before fighting them. When I have armor, I sheath my weapon and punch them instead. When I don't, I loot a pitch fork or something. I think everyone should take a step back and do this too from time to time, because you can see the stars in their lifeless eyeballs in the rare occurence they actually kill you.

That's called bullying.  :evil:

"Hello new guy, you can't hurt me, so i won't even go through the easiness of slashing you with a real weapon, i'll just punch you to death. That will show you how low on hierarchy you are. Trololol."

Seriously, i really don't like people doing that. A real peasant have stricly no chance hitting through a heavily armored and loom player. So punching them to make their agony last is just terrible, and would probably make them GTX :"WTF, he doesn't even find me worthy to kill with a real melee weapon"

On another note, we Guards sometimes go on a special "Protect the peasant" night. When you notice a real peasant, you'll try to stick with him, protect him from cav and from range (even with your body), so that he lives a bit longer. Sometimes, he'll even be able to "assist" you in a melee kill. Note : To make that happen, you shouldn't duel as you normally do when ganking someone : attack, and prepare a block. If you do that, your opponent will turn around and slash the peasant. Just spam your opponent, blocking at last second if he really aims at you. Don't put your peasant's life in danger. Fun guaranteed.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Mammonist

• Earl
  • Renown: 426
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Centi
What a great initiative.

Peasant minds should be protected from corruption. These peasants are the future, we must give them some space to conduct their own scientific research without forcing them to instantly pick the easiest class. Moreover, they are horribly cute.

Offline Bittersteel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 919
  • Infamy: 199
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Créme
  • Game nicks: Tybalt_von_Krems, Lennart_Bladh
  • IRC nick: Bittersteel
What a great initiative.

Peasant minds should be protected from corruption. These peasants are the future, we must give them some space to conduct their own scientific research without forcing them to instantly pick the easiest class. Moreover, they are horribly cute.

I'm at your command oh glorious master.

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
That's called bullying.  :evil:

"Hello new guy, you can't hurt me, so i won't even go through the easiness of slashing you with a real weapon, i'll just punch you to death. That will show you how low on hierarchy you are. Trololol."

Seriously, i really don't like people doing that. A real peasant have stricly no chance hitting through a heavily armored and loom player. So punching them to make their agony last is just terrible, and would probably make them GTX :"WTF, he doesn't even find me worthy to kill with a real melee weapon"

On another note, we Guards sometimes go on a special "Protect the peasant" night. When you notice a real peasant, you'll try to stick with him, protect him from cav and from range (even with your body), so that he lives a bit longer. Sometimes, he'll even be able to "assist" you in a melee kill. Note : To make that happen, you shouldn't duel as you normally do when ganking someone : attack, and prepare a block. If you do that, your opponent will turn around and slash the peasant. Just spam your opponent, blocking at last second if he really aims at you. Don't put your peasant's life in danger. Fun guaranteed.

well this highly depends on your presonal views and preferences and the way you were brought up imo.

this mod has a huge learning curve and that is one of the reason the oldmy old friends (like myslef) stick to the game, a sense of accomplishment. admit it or not we all in someway take pride that we survived for years in this sometimens really hostile enviroment and made friends and are still overcoming dificulties to this day.

I started to play in the pre upkeep era of full plated knights and archers, getting a kill for me was an acomplishment. I always looked up to those people and wanted to get to the full plate and kill people alongside them never tought fuck this. I remember to this day a player new_player_noob that only had a plate a shield and an elephant and was bumping peasants like me to death on regular basis. I never said fuck this this guy doesn't respect me. I grinded so I could get a full plate and a Flamberge and fuck his ass up.

This is the attitude that I brought to the game, I respect what you are trying to do to help the new guys but I'm a firm believer in tough love. Sure I'll help a new plaer, direct him, help around the build etc. but the very hext round I'm gonna punch him to death to give him something to strive for. If they think they will be pampered all the way through the mod where is the drive in that, carebearing is for menstruating women.

help, but no mercy!

Love, Prpavi
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
I understand your point.

But why not just slash him and get done with, what's with all this fisting...
The only persons i like to punch are archers. And that's irrelevant to their level.

But a poor peasant with his scythe ? Just kill him fast, maybe he'll show you his blocking skills. If not, he'll try to block next time. But punches are not blockable if you hold a weapon, so the peasant doesn't learn anything from it. Except the hard reality, ofc, that there's old frustrated players, who vent out their anger and their past hardships on the newcomers.

Guess i am a carebear. It's true i'm not one of thoses "alt+x" fan, pretty much in favor of permanently banning thoses people who find it funny...

Edit for below : I thought it had. Since you spoke of your own peasant experience, getting bumped by an elephant. If you yourself have it hard as a peasant, then you tend to also be hard on the new peasants. Unconsciously maybe. But not all are as strong willed as some of our players, thinking "i'll grind and show him".
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 03:38:36 pm by Bulzur »
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
has nothing to do with anger and hardships man, why so butthrt? were you punched as a noobie?

as I said, if that guy sticks in this mod because I punched him to death and he says: I want to be better, stronger someday so I can fuck that prick Prpavi up and the only way to do so is to persevere I'm happy. sensitive souls grab a bow or xbow anyways when they realise manual blocking isn't as easy as it looks.
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works

Offline RandomDude

• Earl
  • Renown: 431
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • I play now! but I suck =(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RandomDude
  • IRC nick: RandomDude
I understand your point.

But why not just slash him and get done with, what's with all this fisting...
The only persons i like to punch are archers. And that's irrelevant to their level.

But a poor peasant with his scythe ? Just kill him fast, maybe he'll show you his blocking skills. If not, he'll try to block next time. But punches are not blockable if you hold a weapon, so the peasant doesn't learn anything from it. Except the hard reality, ofc, that there's old frustrated players, who vent out their anger and their past hardships on the newcomers.

Guess i am a carebear. It's true i'm not one of thoses "alt+x" fan, pretty much in favor of permanently banning thoses people who find it funny...

Punches arent blockable? They were when I last played :) You just have to pick the right direction to block still.

Just to add to what ppravi was saying, you can make a soft landing for players but warband/c-rpg is a skill based game and no matter how comfortable noobs are made to feel, they will get owned time and time again because other people have been playing this game for so long.

Offline sjarken

• Baron
  • Renown: 112
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Sjarken
  • IRC nick: Sjarken
Ive gotten 3 friends to start playing cRPG they hardly last more then 2 weeks before they GTX thx to ranged  :D

I got two of my friends playing now, both first time playing CRPG.
Both started as 2handers (easymode :D) but upon level 24 both respecced to shielders and actually do good in siege.
My thoughts are if they make level 31 and get that first loom they will get as hoocked in CRPG as i once got. So if u see Endr or SirCumalot ingame cut them some slack :D

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
I think the suggestion to make an STF should really be highlighted more to new players when they first log on the website. Perhaps a short explanation about looms and how to get them so that leveling a char from scratch makes sense instead of seeming like a chore, and that it takes at least a few hours of gameplay/leveling before even being able to contribute beyond being bait and distraction.
As people may not be familiar with mechanics (not having played single player, no idea what power strike, iron health, etc.. all mean, and how they are linked to str/agi stat) have some pre-made STF builds to pick out. Not a need of a big variety, something like "archer", "1h/shield foot soldier", "lance cavalry", "2hander", "crossbowman" etc, the mostly used base builds.

Offline RandomDude

• Earl
  • Renown: 431
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • I play now! but I suck =(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RandomDude
  • IRC nick: RandomDude
At least some note about how making a new char and not stf is going to be difficult at first. The they know what to expect at least

Offline NJ_Legion_Icedtea

• Count
  • Renown: 259
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norsemen
  • Game nicks: Norse_Icedtea
  • IRC nick: Icedtea
How many new players do we get on a regular basis, would a low gen server be a good idea?

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
How many new players do we get on a regular basis, would a low gen server be a good idea?

There is a sub 20 server afaik. But eu5 seems empty most of the time.

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 400
  • Infamy: 502
  • cRPG Player
  • Darksider on redemption
    • View Profile
What a great initiative.

normally i would laugh, but now that i remember my peasant times, it ceases to be funny.
Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.
Cloud: And that is?
Tseng: Bitches, man.