Poll

Should breastplates be added?

Yes
No
My body is ready for these.
I want these + oliphants
No gtfo noob, your dreams suck. Go back to your corner where you belong. Who even gave you freedom of speech?

Author Topic: Add Breastplates  (Read 1251 times)

Offline elvis1325

• Earl
  • Renown: 368
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • #REMEMBERYOSHI
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The People's Republic of Yoshi
  • Game nicks: Taril_Yoshi_III, Taril_the_Yoshi_Conscript
Add Breastplates
« on: July 14, 2013, 08:30:55 am »
+6
Now when I say breastplate, I don't mean the churburg cuirass, I mean a single piece of armor (the breastplate in this situation) on top of a gambeson or something.

Whenever I see paintings or reenactments which involves pike/spear/bill men, they usually have a breastplate on some clothing with a helmet. I propose we add these breastplates.
Since they only cover the chest, we could give it medium protection and reasonable cost (6-10k i guess). Or low protection and low cost (3-6k maybe) , especially considering the average soldier would wear these (from what I've seen and read).
I also read that cheaper ones were made with low quality metal which would also support low protection and cost, and high quality metal was more expensive yada yada yada etc.

So I believe this will be a good addition to crpg as it also stays within the time frame.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

On the grand scale of Dwarven global threat assessment, Acre is currently ranked pretty low. Just slightly below Yoshis and factions that no longer exist.

Offline Palurgee

• Duke
  • Renown: 607
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: palurgee, brokeback_mountaineer, denarii
  • IRC nick: palurgee
Re: Add Breastplates
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 09:02:42 am »
+3
The Conquistadors would kill for these.

Default Breastplate (Half-Cuirass) from WFAS:
(click to show/hide)

Colorized versions:
(click to show/hide)

The breastplate is one sexy piece of equipment, and surely belongs in cRPG.

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 12:23:06 pm »
needs to be reworked a bit ... look at those horrible textures  :shock:

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 12:30:56 pm »
needs to be reworked a bit ... look at those horrible textures  :shock:

Is worse than mail and plate?

Also I is still butthurt that devs removed the ugly armor from years back, and replaced it with fugly heavy aketon. Gimme back Uglyarmor!
I don't know enough

Offline elvis1325

• Earl
  • #REMEMBERYOSHI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 03:36:40 pm »
I think these could work, add them in as they are then change the texture. The people are desperate mi' developer lords! That's also what I like about them, they are so adaptable, they can match with many outfits.

Also I think some need to realise this isn't just 16-17th century armor , it was used in the 1400s aswell which I would  say this game is based. And it certainly wasn't rare.

On the grand scale of Dwarven global threat assessment, Acre is currently ranked pretty low. Just slightly below Yoshis and factions that no longer exist.

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 04:20:40 pm »
If it's up to early 15th century and fitting other weapons and gear, fine. It should be quite expensive though, even though it gives less armor than gothic plate, heraldic trans and stuff.
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 10:07:14 pm »
YESS add this. Definitely fits to my pike :P
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline elvis1325

• Earl
  • #REMEMBERYOSHI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 11:10:11 pm »
YESS add this. Definitely fits to my pike :P
Its fits with a lot of themes and weapons, that's why its a good reason to add it. I don't see any bad sides.to adding it, we will just get some actual western European armor for a change, instead of Russian and byzantine stuff.

Offline Aethelwolf

• Baron
  • Renown: 84
  • Infamy: 8
  • Mercenaries
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Aethelwolf
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 12:35:30 pm »
+4
Add it! I want it so bad  :shock:
Aethelwolf, son of Uhtred, rightful owner of the Bebbanburg castle

Offline musketer

• Count
  • Renown: 213
  • Infamy: 120
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 03:41:58 pm »
Looks horrible, don't add it ffs...

Offline Lange

• Baron
  • Renown: 128
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 10:24:36 pm »

Offline Legs

• Marshall
  • Renown: 819
  • Infamy: 88
  • cRPG Player
  • Loco Motive
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Arms, Legs
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 10:55:35 pm »
The iconic thick-breastplate-and-helmet combo didn't start showing up until the late middle ages when early firearms like the arquebus also began to see widespread use. Normal plate armor was gradually phased out and replaced by thicker breastplates and helmets which offered enough protection to defeat these weapons but were too heavy to wear as a full suit. However as firearms became more advanced even these thick metal armors weren't enough to protect the wearer and armor became largely obsolete - at least until recently.

If you want an armor from that period you should check out the black armor set which matches the style of the landsknechts - a type of soldier from that period. There aren't any firearms in cRPG but they also used the pike and 'flamberge' so grab one and enjoy some historically accurate roleplaying, you smelly nerd.

(click to show/hide)
Legs are used for standing, walking, jumping, running, kicking, and similar activities.

Offline Palurgee

• Duke
  • Renown: 607
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: palurgee, brokeback_mountaineer, denarii
  • IRC nick: palurgee
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 11:27:18 pm »
+2
The iconic thick-breastplate-and-helmet combo didn't start showing up until the late middle ages when early firearms like the arquebus also began to see widespread use. Normal plate armor was gradually phased out and replaced by thicker breastplates and helmets which offered enough protection to defeat these weapons but were too heavy to wear as a full suit. However as firearms became more advanced even these thick metal armors weren't enough to protect the wearer and armor became largely obsolete - at least until recently.

According to our trustworthy friend Wikipedia, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breastplate) the cuirass (essentially a breast/back plate) was in use throughout 1200 AD and iron/steel breastplates were the standard around 1340 AD, well before the average soldier's use of firearms, which would become commonplace over a century later.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 11:33:31 pm by Palurgee »

Offline elvis1325

• Earl
  • #REMEMBERYOSHI
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 08:07:45 am »

We don't want to have to be landsknechts to fit the pike role visually, black armor is three quarters not a single breastplate. A damn churburg cuirass is a better suggestion but then we would be going full plate. The thing is we want a nice omnipotent breastplate to serve our needs, not armor that only works for Germans or conquistadors if you use a morion, but even then it doesn't feel right. And breastplates were used long before guns, from ancient Greece then I guess it died in the dark ages only to be used again in the middle ages into Renaissance, it was even used in ww2 as flak jackets. To leave out a piece of equipment that has been present through a lot of years in warfare is a mistake.
The game includes scale armor covering the chest only, so why not a breastplate?
Its either this, or I play samurai for 10 gens because more samurai is exactly what crpg needs.

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 10:10:17 am »
+2
Yeah if you like the age where the medieval and firearms met then your best bet would be to wear striped armor. Visored sallet with coif, striped gauntlets, bear paw shoes/rus cavalry boots/iron greaves, and of course striped armor.