Author Topic: 1h shielder build  (Read 2876 times)

Offline Aethelwolf

• Baron
  • Renown: 84
  • Infamy: 8
  • Mercenaries
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Aethelwolf
1h shielder build
« on: February 27, 2013, 02:14:16 pm »
Hello I need some help with my build. I'm, currently using this:

Strength:18
Agility:19
One Handed:144
Weapon Master:5
Athletics:6
Shield:4
Power Strike:6
(8 converted skill points)

Just for you to know, I'm aiming for some type of offensive shielder, so I need some speed for that to mantain the distance from my foe because I'm using the military pick or one handed battle axe.

I want my build to look like this on lvl 30:
Strength:18
Agility:21
...but i dont know where should i put those 2 remaining skill points. I think putting them in IF is useless because my shield is my armor. I also use light-medium armor.
What do you think about this build? Could you suggest anything for me? Or any advices from skilled shield users?

Thank you in advance,

Aethelwolf
Aethelwolf, son of Uhtred, rightful owner of the Bebbanburg castle

Offline Zox_Fury

• Baron
  • Renown: 142
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
  • La illaha il'Allah
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Zox_Fury
  • IRC nick: Zox_Fury
Re: 1h shielder build
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 02:25:43 pm »
You posted in the wrong section . I think any admin will transfer your post in the good section
Subhan'LLAH wa bihamdih

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 02:30:07 pm »
+2
IF is never useless and don't expect your shield to block everything

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 02:37:36 pm »
+1
You should only have 1 remaining skill point, provided of course that you would get 1 more athlethics if you get 21 agility, which you should. The build is looking good so far. The usefulness of Ironflesh should not be underestimated however. Some shielders prefer 18/18 at level 30 with a lot more IF.

This one remaining skill point could be put in shield, WM and IF, I'd pick IF out of those but it isn't going to matter much. Another option however, is keeping 1 skill point unspent and do a 21/21 build at level 32. I don't know how you are doing loom wise, but a high level build is a significant advantage. Again, some shielders would prefer an 18/21 build at level 32 with a lot more IF.

Offline Aethelwolf

• Baron
  • Renown: 84
  • Infamy: 8
  • Mercenaries
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Aethelwolf
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 02:44:39 pm »
I'm not saying that IF is useless. But in this case I think the IF wouldnt make much difference since i use light gear mostly
Aethelwolf, son of Uhtred, rightful owner of the Bebbanburg castle

Offline Abay

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 183
  • cRPG Player
  • Steam: badbreaking
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kapikulu
  • Game nicks: Kapikulu_Abay
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 02:47:17 pm »
one handers generally took the most teamhits cos they fight close. and ofcourse a one hander can fight against 5 men around him also. so he needs ironflesh too. if you use a weapon that hit pierce or blunt, I sugesst you to make it 15/21. but if u use a weapon that hits cut damage, u need at least 21 str against heavy armoured guyz  :wink:
[17:48] <Vovka> thx chadz
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Zox_Fury

• Baron
  • Renown: 142
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
  • La illaha il'Allah
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Zox_Fury
  • IRC nick: Zox_Fury
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 02:56:33 pm »
+2
It s true that 1 If seems to be useless but sometimes it makes the difference beetween the victory and the defeat. If is really usefull when it s maximized, in my opinion, but you could use an average amount of it too .

Also shielders need ofc an excellent ath to turn when you re surrounded.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 03:06:48 pm by Zox_Fury »
Subhan'LLAH wa bihamdih

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 04:11:17 pm »
+4
Anytime you are blackbarred instead of dead, IF is useful.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 07:18:53 pm »
+1
For an agility-heavy shielder, IF is usually the different between being 1-shotted or 2-shotted by a 2-hander. So if a few skill points can effectively DOUBLE your durability, that's a good deal. And don't think for a second that having a shield means the shield is your only defense; between teamhits, random projectiles, enemies backstabbing you, kicks, attacks that inexplicably go through your block, mis-timing your attacks....you still get hit A LOT. My shield outlives me at least 90% of the time, and I'm only moderately aggressive.

That said, I'm 18/21 at lvl 32 and no IF, but I chose to have throwing and a lot of shield skill and weapon master. If you are pure 1h, lvl 32+ builds like 21/21 or 18/24 with IF and foregoing some WM/shield are very effective.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 02:11:15 pm »
+1
Just some notes about armor for you to think about. Also keep in mind that all my gear is MW so this may skew things a bit.

With 18 str, 0 IF and wearing a gambeson; the average 2-hander/pole user can 2-shot me.

With the same build and wearing a heraldric mail with tabard; the average 2-hander/pole user will still 2-shot me.

If I was to go 6 IF, SOME 2-hander/pole users may need 3 hits to kill me, but I still think a large amount would do it in 2. (At least in NA)

With light armor, IF is pretty useful against arrows though.

For a 1-hander, 4 shield skill is useless in my opinion. Your shield will break so fast there's no point in even having it slow you down. May as well invest those points in something else and drop the shield. Most shields don't become great until around 6 shield skill. And a MW one is practically unbreakable against everything but an axe once you get 7 shield skill and higher. At that point, you become practically invulnerable from the front. So as long as your teammates aren't retarded and don't constantly hit you in the back, you can do quite well.

For your last two points, I'd put one in athletics and probably the last in shield. 1 point of athletics is worth more than 1 IF.

18/21 is the overall best 1-h build in my opinion, but it is a different playstyle than most.
18/18 is also pretty beastly and I'm surprised that more people don't do it. 18/18 with a warhammer is pretty ridiculous.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 03:05:28 pm »
18/21 is the overall best 1-h build in my opinion, but it is a different playstyle than most.
18/18 is also pretty beastly and I'm surprised that more people don't do it. 18/18 with a warhammer is pretty ridiculous.

I've done every lvl 30 1h/shield build between 27/12 and 18/18 (inclusive) as a 1h, and performed by far the best with 18/18. Contrast that with polearm, where I started 21/18 and added 3 str each gen, up to 33/9, and more strength just made it easier each time. 1h just works better with more athletics, since basically you can only hit people that are between your 9 O'clock and your 1 O'clock. 2h Doesn't have to worry as much about that, since their 'arc of death' is like 270 degrees.

As far as Ironflesh, getting 2-shot is a luxury on NA. With 53 HP (no IF) and 57 body armor/61 head armor, I've gotten 1-shot by everything from Awlpikes to Great Sword thrusts to Miaodaos. Some IF would probably turn a lot of those 1-shots to 2-shots.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 03:08:36 pm by Phew »

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 05:43:51 pm »
You two guys run way too light.

I rarely get 2 shotted let alone 1, and I don't see other heavy shielders like San getting 2-shotted either.

Offline Shemaforash

• Duke
  • Renown: 533
  • Infamy: 169
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Shemaforash
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 05:47:44 pm »
+1
18/21 is my favorite shielder build, when you hit level 33 it's really good. If you ever hit 34-35 you could have 7 riding as well.
You should be punished for having a shitty attitude.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 05:56:25 pm »
You two guys run way too light.

I rarely get 2 shotted let alone 1, and I don't see other heavy shielders like San getting 2-shotted either.

I've done a few gens with a build like yours; 65+ armor, 70+ hp, high PS. Great in a clusterf#ck, but I didn't like getting backpedaled to death by every agility player, kited by every archer, mauled repeatedly, etc. I only play siege, which is so low population lately that it's basically a series of duels, so the agility build seems to be most effective. Heavy 1h/shield works for plenty of people, but didn't work for me.

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 06:10:06 pm »
+1
I've done a few gens with a build like yours; 65+ armor, 70+ hp, high PS. Great in a clusterf#ck, but I didn't like getting backpedaled to death by every agility player, kited by every archer, mauled repeatedly, etc. I only play siege, which is so low population lately that it's basically a series of duels, so the agility build seems to be most effective. Heavy 1h/shield works for plenty of people, but didn't work for me.

Turboflex is also in a clan that revolves around teamwork. The heavier str build one handers work a lot better when you have a piker next to you. But I agree, in a 1v1 having less then 6 athletics is pretty brutal.