Poll

Make Shield difficulty strength based?

Yes
28 (44.4%)
No
35 (55.6%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Author Topic: Make shield difficulty Strength based  (Read 2350 times)

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
Re: Make shield difficulty Strength based
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 07:04:14 am »
Wait a sec, I realized that I would be able to have a decent 13 Power strike, 13 shield character on my level 33 main...  Screw that lol.

Offline BlackMilk

• Polearm Lover
  • Earl
  • Renown: 370
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: el_Banduri
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 09:52:28 am »
jarlek fuck off

shield is not going to help too much against ranged if you're a 2h/polearmer, cause most of the time you get hit by ranged is when you're fighting other players and you cant dodge/use your shield anyway
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 09:55:06 am by BlackMilk »

Offline Mial

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 12:05:52 pm »
+2
Let us be clear about that:
Shield Difficulty =/= Shield Skill

With 33 Strength and 3 Agility, you can only have 1 (in words: one) Shield Skill. Power Strike 13 & Shield Skill 13 is not possible.

When I look at the comments, I have to think, the majority of this community is too dumb, to understand Tomas suggestion.
If you read "... Shield ... Strength ... everyone ... Shield ... difficulty ...", read again, thank you.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 12:07:54 pm by Mial »

Offline Tomas

• Marshall
  • Renown: 718
  • Infamy: 217
    • View Profile
    • Fallen Brigade Website
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Tomas
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 12:24:35 pm »
+2
First of all thanks to all those who can read and shame on the people who still fail to comprehend the simplest of ideas, despite 4!!! people now repeating and explaining the OP  :mrgreen:

Since there have yet to be valid counter arguments against this idea I shall reply to Slamz Suggestion instead.

Whilst I think that longterm your idea is the best way to go for all items I think that would be too much work to code and get in the game at the moment.  Simply changing Shield difficulty should however be a relatively quick and easy modification to make.  I hoping that sticking to something small will actually give it a chance of happening :)

Offline _Tak_

• Earl
  • Renown: 459
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Retired Dev of FI2
    • View Profile
    • mod :D
  • Game nicks: LC
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 01:19:17 pm »
This will make all ranged class become rubbish and there will be alot of shield delayers around. No

Offline Tomas

• Marshall
  • Renown: 718
  • Infamy: 217
    • View Profile
    • Fallen Brigade Website
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Tomas
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2012, 01:53:03 pm »
This will make all ranged class become rubbish and there will be alot of shield delayers around. No

No - It will make all ranged classes more tactical as they will be forced to flank their enemies rather than just shoot straight at approaching enemy groups.  Skill and knowing your angles for shooting round shields will be far more important than now.

As for delaying shielders, how are they any different to the delaying archers we have right now?  At least with this change the last 2H can pick up a random shield and approach the last archer safely, which could cause that archer to give up running and actually grab a melee weapon.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1204
  • Infamy: 2594
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2012, 02:12:56 pm »

Offline _Tak_

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Retired Dev of FI2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2012, 02:28:10 pm »
No - It will make all ranged classes more tactical as they will be forced to flank their enemies rather than just shoot straight at approaching enemy groups.  Skill and knowing your angles for shooting round shields will be far more important than now.

As for delaying shielders, how are they any different to the delaying archers we have right now?  At least with this change the last 2H can pick up a random shield and approach the last archer safely, which could cause that archer to give up running and actually grab a melee weapon.

I am 100% that the dev will never allow this to happen. This gives the pure STR much more advantage than people with AGI build. At 39 Str you will have a unbreakable shield skill which means even 999999999 hits and arrows will never break your shield. The reason i said it will make all ranged classes become rubbish it is because if the shielders just holding right click it can stay like that forever and the shield will never break. Try using a Steel Buckler with shield skill higher than 9. If enemy shoot you in the leg the arrow will go to the shield instead of your leg. The higher shield skill = Absord all angles of incoming arrows / bolts.

If Shield difficulty is based on STR then people with 39 str can just get the steel shield and stuff like that? No because many people will go for Pure strength if this happen. If it actually happen then Shield skill should be based on STR too?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 02:34:39 pm by AlexTheDragon »

Offline Remy

• Knight
  • Renown: 68
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remy_the_Fox
  • IRC nick: Remy
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2012, 03:16:10 pm »
+1
Make shield difficulty (not skill) Strength based

:wink:

So as several people have already stated, people stacking strength would still be bad shielders.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Fox, Horse Archer, Tker of Chagan.

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2012, 03:25:12 pm »
Shieds only? Lets make str requirements for horses, bows, throwing weapon, horse archery, weaponmaster and athletics. Why you are so inconsistent?

Offline Mial

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2012, 04:36:18 pm »
+1
I am 100% that the dev will never allow this to happen. This gives the pure STR much more advantage than people with AGI build. At 39 Str you will have a unbreakable shield skill which means even 999999999 hits and arrows will never break your shield. The reason i said it will make all ranged classes become rubbish it is because if the shielders just holding right click it can stay like that forever and the shield will never break. Try using a Steel Buckler with shield skill higher than 9. If enemy shoot you in the leg the arrow will go to the shield instead of your leg. The higher shield skill = Absord all angles of incoming arrows / bolts.

If Shield difficulty is based on STR then people with 39 str can just get the steel shield and stuff like that? No because many people will go for Pure strength if this happen. If it actually happen then Shield skill should be based on STR too?
Please delete your post and read the thread again, thank you.

Offline _Tak_

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Retired Dev of FI2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2012, 05:11:18 pm »
Please delete your post and read the thread again, thank you.

I have read it. I would say no because people with 33 + str will be able to use shield like steel shield , so no, and this is not possible anyway. If all shield difficulty is based on STR then to players who have 10+ shield skill they will have much more advantage. Because for example: If a shield difficulty is 1, if you have shield skill 8. Then it will add only 7 points will have effect on the shield. If all shield has no difficulty on shield skill and is based on STR, then people who invest points on shield will make it even more OP
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 05:14:38 pm by AlexTheDragon »

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2012, 03:16:29 am »
jarlek fuck off

shield is not going to help too much against ranged if you're a 2h/polearmer, cause most of the time you get hit by ranged is when you're fighting other players and you cant dodge/use your shield anyway
Why the fuck off? Why are you angry? All I did was point out (YET AGAIN) what so many people didn't fucking manage to read. I see you even edited away what you originally wrote, so guess you got the point? You learned something? Can we agree that it helped you then? Are you angry that I have to hold your hand with difficult stuff? Look, I know your not the best at english, that's ok, but don't rage on me when I explain things to you. Verstanden?

You are also saying that it wouldn't help 2h/polearm since they would still be shot while they are fighting. Well, yeah, otherwise it would completely ruin balance, no? This is meant to make non-shielders use a shield OUTSIDE of combat, not in it. When your in a shieldwall, charging archers whatever. Hell, with the shieldskill bonus from shieldwall, you'll even be able to use them properly! And is it THAT bad to get more shields out anyway? Ranged are running rampage and more shields is better for everyone. It's sorely needed. Yes, you wont be able to use the shield while fighting, but it WILL let you get to the fight without being shot first. Is that really so bad? What exactly is your problem with this?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 03:17:41 am by Zapper »
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Berserkadin

• Duke
  • Renown: 592
  • Infamy: 145
    • View Profile
  • Faction: -
  • Game nicks: Krewl_The_Urist_Fox
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2012, 10:24:32 am »
+2
This could just hurt agishielders (12/24, 15/24), lots of them use steel shield and other heavy shields, a str req of those would probably be over 15 and that would just nerf agi shielders. It's game balance, not realism.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline BlackMilk

• Polearm Lover
  • Earl
  • Renown: 370
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: el_Banduri
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2012, 12:13:59 pm »
Why the fuck off? Why are you angry? All I did was point out (YET AGAIN) what so many people didn't fucking manage to read. I see you even edited away what you originally wrote, so guess you got the point? You learned something? Can we agree that it helped you then? Are you angry that I have to hold your hand with difficult stuff? Look, I know your not the best at english, that's ok, but don't rage on me when I explain things to you. Verstanden?

You are also saying that it wouldn't help 2h/polearm since they would still be shot while they are fighting. Well, yeah, otherwise it would completely ruin balance, no? This is meant to make non-shielders use a shield OUTSIDE of combat, not in it. When your in a shieldwall, charging archers whatever. Hell, with the shieldskill bonus from shieldwall, you'll even be able to use them properly! And is it THAT bad to get more shields out anyway? Ranged are running rampage and more shields is better for everyone. It's sorely needed. Yes, you wont be able to use the shield while fighting, but it WILL let you get to the fight without being shot first. Is that really so bad? What exactly is your problem with this?
1. wtf it was 11pm and i was tired as fuck and you were the 3rd person to point out that I was wrong and you did it in a fucking retarded way
2. My point is that it is not going to be really helpfull for 2h infantry.