Author Topic: A suggestion  (Read 1185 times)

Offline Tomas

• Marshall
  • Renown: 718
  • Infamy: 217
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Fallen Brigade Website
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Tomas
A suggestion
« on: July 13, 2011, 10:51:21 pm »
Sorry if this has been suggested before but why not include the heavier armour as taking up a slot.

You could have a rule where if you wear

a helmet with an armour value over 20
OR
boots/greaves with an armour value over 25
OR
gloves with an armour value over 5
OR
body armour with an armour value over 30

then that counts as taking up 1 slot.

Just designate the items breaking the rules as taking up a slot but make sure that they do not stack with each other so the max slots taken up by armour is 1.

That would balance things out and reduce the importance of upkeep which is proving to be a nightmare to balance.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Re: A suggestion
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 10:55:07 pm »
+2
Why are you trying to nerf armour and make it even harder to wear?

Now if I wear heavy armour then I can't carry 4 slots of weapons only 3?

EDIT: or is this only for "breaking" purposes, them counting as one thing? Regardless, upkeep was balanced before imo, but whatever.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 10:56:34 pm by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Delro

• Noble
  • Renown: 21
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • Taking Arrows To The Face Since 2008
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ATS
  • Game nicks: Delro_ATS
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 10:56:49 pm »
+1
There's a board for suggestions. Its called the suggestions board :D

On topic, I don't think making MORE items require slots will make anyone happy...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline awesomeasaurus

• Knight
  • Renown: 31
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Awesomeasaurus
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 11:18:22 pm »
+1
This idea could be a way to balance high end armor use and allow the developers to reduce the upkeep and initial cost of these armors. The armors would no longer be ridiculously expensive to use, just limiting on your offensive capabilities, which would make sense.. trading attack for armor.

Offline Baggy

• Count
  • Renown: 199
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player
  • Sup brah
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Baggy _Potato Blight_ Famine Emigration
  • IRC nick: Baggy
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 12:13:22 am »
Sorry if this has been suggested before but why not include the heavier armour as taking up a slot.

You could have a rule where if you wear

a helmet with an armour value over 20
OR
boots/greaves with an armour value over 25
OR
gloves with an armour value over 5
OR
body armour with an armour value over 30

then that counts as taking up 1 slot.

Just designate the items breaking the rules as taking up a slot but make sure that they do not stack with each other so the max slots taken up by armour is 1.

That would balance things out and reduce the importance of upkeep which is proving to be a nightmare to balance.

This makes no sense at all.The average armour values are a good bit higher than what you have posted, and what if i wear full plate will that mean im -4 slots or just 1?

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 12:48:38 am »
This makes no sense at all.The average armour values are a good bit higher than what you have posted, and what if i wear full plate will that mean im -4 slots or just 1?
Well duh. In medievel times knights who wore plate armour from head to toe never had any weapons. Learn history you dumb fool.

(click to show/hide)
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 01:28:12 am »
This will eventually get moved anyways so whatever.

This could be a good idea if we double the amount of slots at least, but I'm not sure how people will like this limitation of armor.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 01:29:16 am by san. »

Offline Tomas

• Marshall
  • Renown: 718
  • Infamy: 217
    • View Profile
    • Fallen Brigade Website
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Tomas
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 02:08:17 am »
1st of all sorry to whoever ends up moving this that its in the wrong place. My bad

Just the 1 slot used.  Its non stacking so your 1 slot used for body armour would not stack on top of any slots used for helms, gloves or boots.  I thought about a system that increases the number of overall slots and counts each individual piece of armour but this actually works out simpler imo.  You either decide to be heavily armoured and sacrifice a weapon slot, or you decide to be lightly armoured.

To answer other comments

I picked a value of 30 for body armour as this is where the armour suddenly jumps in weight from approx 5 to approx 10.  I see no reason to distinguish between chain and plate because plate armour, although potentially heavier, was in fact easier to wear due to it being in pieces that were individually supported by didfferent bits of the body rather than all the weight being on the shoulders.

The other stuff I just picked what seemed logical as a peasant with a full plate helmet would look a bit silly.  An alternative would be to say that if your total armour weight exceeds 10 then it costs a slot.  I think my system gives people more choice though.

As for slots, 4 is more than enough imo even with a slot taken up by heavy armour.  People still have plenty of options.  There will be no change for light armour wearers whilst heavy armour wearers still get 3 slots to use on either

Heavy Shield + 1 Hander
Normal Shield + 1.5 Hander (Bastard Sword)
Normal Shield + 1 Hander + Throwing Weapon
2 Hander + Throwing Weapon
2 Hander + 1 Hander
1 Hander + Lighter Bow/Xbow & Arrows/Bolts
Lighter Bow/Xbow & Arrows/Bolts + Normal Shield + 0 Slot Weapon (Hammer)
Heavier Bow/Xbow & Arrows/Bolts + 0 Slot Weapon (Hammer)

That's plenty to be going on with just off the top of my head

What awesomeasaurus said was exactly what I was going for.  Making people choose between attack and defense although it doesn't actually limit  peaople that much.

The only thing it stops is things like Heavy Xbow + Heavy Armour + a good Melee Weapon of some sort which is good imo as it stops people being able to have both great ranged weapons, great melee weapons and great armour.  You get 2 out of 3 instead

Offline dreadnok

• Marshall
  • Renown: 838
  • Infamy: 562
  • cRPG Player
  • fuck these jerkoff kids
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KBW<MB<SoW
  • Game nicks: Gorp_The_Gorger
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 03:50:30 am »
+2
i think the penalty pf being slow as fuck and loss in wpf is enough?

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 10:33:44 pm »
i think the penalty pf being slow as fuck and loss in wpf is enough?
Of course. But if you ever try to suggest a buff to armour then a lot of people will come and whine to you about how that ruins their build (spammers and archers). So that's why with a nerf/restriction like this we could have a legitimat way to buff armour. Personally I would love to have heavy armour as a good option. Your paying a lot and moving a lot slower. Why should the increased protection be so low?
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia