Author Topic: Gay Gene  (Read 499 times)

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
Gay Gene
« on: February 14, 2014, 01:50:44 pm »
+1
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/gay-gene-discovery-suggests-sexual-orientation-not-choice-085610185.html#6dq7lRA

Scientists have found evidence to support the existence of a male genome which may influence homosexuality.
Dr Michael Bailey, from Northwestern University, studied 400 sets of twins to determine if some men are genetically inclined to be gay.
The study identified two areas on the male genome which appear to be linked to sexuality.
Bailey said: "Sexual orientation has nothing to do with choice. Our findings suggest there may be genes at play and we found evidence for two sets that affect whether a man is gay or straight."

Bailey added that the study was not "completely determinative". He added: "There are certainly other environmental factors involved. The study shows that there are genes involved in male sexual orientation."
Yet the discovery of the potential "gay gene" could lead to an eventual advancement in pre-natal tests.
He added: "Although this could one day lead to a pre-natal test for male sexual orientation, it would not be very accurate, as there are other factors that can influence the outcome."

In b4 Abortion for gays (will probably happen). If proven true i wonder how the church will take it ^^
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
Re: Gay Gene
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 02:06:53 pm »
+6
Science is gay

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 02:20:20 pm »
+1
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/gay-gene-discovery-suggests-sexual-orientation-not-choice-085610185.html#6dq7lRA

In b4 Abortion for gays (will probably happen). If proven true i wonder how the church will take it ^^
Interesting, i once read that it would have to do with which hormons a baby mostly got into touch with, within certain stadiums of its development. Perhaps a little bit of both now? As i dont see yet the one theory excluding the other.

The conclusions taken out of this will be as different as there are stances of people who dont care, or take a stance against or for freedom of sexuality.

Worst case scenarios, genetic screening of embryo dna, or even before that genetic engeneered/modified(?) breeding. Now that in itself is not really supported by the church, but when the outcome would lead to no gay babies, a few sick fucks may reconsider. As many of the anti-gay stances see "gay" often even as sickness, there is nota  big step to see ways to prevent it as cure.

One thing we all should not forget, it is biodiversity & varianz which makes the boat of species float. Take away diversity or varianz and you take away survivability. Often certain types of genes have not only one but several meanings within the DNA, influencing one influences others too, and while a marker which is found here in that study may suggest and point to an adjective like "being gay" it may but also stay dorment in other people or have other functionalities. There are but dudes who really know this stuff, i have only scratched some basic understanding and i am not sure that i even got that all correct what i mentioned above.
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline Corwin

• Earl
  • Renown: 499
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Corwin_the_Lazy
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 02:26:46 pm »
+2
Who cares about the reason?

We're here! We're queer! Get use to it!

my old friends FTW!
I mean, what have you got to lose? You know, you come from nothing, you're going back to nothing, what have you lost? Nothing!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 02:43:00 pm »
Not really particularly interesting.

This could be used to argue for and against every point of view. Interesting, but not all that important I'd say.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 05:14:53 pm »
Not really particularly interesting.

This could be used to argue for and against every point of view. Interesting, but not all that important I'd say.
I wholeheartedly disagree. This could lead to very dangerous situations.
Just imagine a man of huge power - Putin comes to my mind - starts to advance this report without the differentiation between "genes are just a factor" to "genes are responsible". Imagine what a stupid fuck like Putin can come up with, having a whole state apparatus behind him...
Mandatory screenings in hospitals for pregnant women, health insurance claiming that "not doing the screening for male kids erases the health insurance of the kid due to higher probability of becoming HIV+ due to gay buttsex as adult"... there is a high potential of abuse in this. I'd say it's rather dangerous :|
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline BASNAK

• King
  • Renown: 1349
  • Infamy: 170
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MolonLave_Garlic
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 06:36:36 pm »
Cool find.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login