Author Topic: Archers buffed too much  (Read 23188 times)

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
Re: Archers buffed too much
« Reply #300 on: January 16, 2011, 09:54:13 pm »
Well, I can only comment from a level 21 archer, while my damage is certainly good accuracy is really crap. Even shooting on ruins from the front ruined house to middle wall half of my arrows miss a stationary target. It is way easier for me to play on my level 21 melee char mostly. Sniper crossbows are quite accurate with the same wpf investment and no PD requirement.

Offline SalmonGod

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 16, 2011, 10:34:20 pm »
Well, I can only comment from a level 21 archer, while my damage is certainly good accuracy is really crap. Even shooting on ruins from the front ruined house to middle wall half of my arrows miss a stationary target. It is way easier for me to play on my level 21 melee char mostly. Sniper crossbows are quite accurate with the same wpf investment and no PD requirement.

I've had no problems with accuracy.  It's no laser pointer, but by level 20 I'm hitting 3 or 4 shots in a row sometimes on moving targets at ranges I wouldn't even bother trying with a thrower.

Offline Radix

• Peasant
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • I blind my enemies with pure awesomenes
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Radox_II
« Reply #302 on: January 16, 2011, 10:36:29 pm »
I have a feeling that thrower class population is increasing rapidly. Only today evening I have counted about 8 throwers. they are competiting me away form shootguning :(

Offline AssPunisher

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 16, 2011, 11:33:56 pm »
As foot archer its stupidly easy to hit targets. I easily take 1-2 horses down from across the map as I watch my arrows curve like heat seeking missiles. Even infantry is not that hard from a long distance as long as they don't do unpredictable moves. At lvl 30 I just gave up on this char as I had no fun with it.

As HA its the same thing if I put my horse to stop. You'll notice a lot of HAs doing just that from a safe distance. Its a different story while your horse is on the move though, and it takes short distance, precise aim and some skills to hit the target. But usually my horse doesn't last long enough against enemy archers so I end up being a foot archer very quick every round.

IMO archers are not OP regarding damage but accuracy. It doesn't take a lot of skill to play as one which might explain why we see so many archers nowadays.

Offline ThePoopy

• Earl
  • Renown: 411
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • .l..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: PolePoop
« Reply #304 on: January 16, 2011, 11:45:27 pm »
im getting bumped when shot by hunting bows that dmg absolutely nothing, solve this!

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #305 on: January 17, 2011, 03:01:24 am »
As foot archer its stupidly easy to hit targets. I easily take 1-2 horses down from across the map as I watch my arrows curve like heat seeking missiles. Even infantry is not that hard from a long distance as long as they don't do unpredictable moves. At lvl 30 I just gave up on this char as I had no fun with it.

As HA its the same thing if I put my horse to stop. You'll notice a lot of HAs doing just that from a safe distance. Its a different story while your horse is on the move though, and it takes short distance, precise aim and some skills to hit the target. But usually my horse doesn't last long enough against enemy archers so I end up being a foot archer very quick every round.

IMO archers are not OP regarding damage but accuracy. It doesn't take a lot of skill to play as one which might explain why we see so many archers nowadays.

Wow this guys full of it.  Yes the horse archery is heat seeking with HA skill 2 or higher where you just need to have a living targeta nywhere within a rather large reticule and it will hit the target, but normal archery the arrows go haywire from where you aim them.  You get really excited when the arrows actually go wherew you pointed it as they often curve left/right of the center of your trerticule at least half the time.  Unless you have some interesting hack we dont know about, talk to any of the real archers and they will tell you accuracy has been seriously nerfed, not the reticule size, but the degree to which arrows shank left or right or up/down of the reticule which makes it more like a spamfest.  The only way to make this happen only 10% of the time is to be a house camping archer which is really lame (im assuming thats what you did), becasue if you move within the second before or the second after you shoot it seems to disrupt your shot, but if you dont move you are an easy standing target especially with how slow the draw speed is.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Michael

• Don't take me seriously
  • Baron
  • Renown: 118
  • Infamy: 559
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 17, 2011, 04:07:14 am »

Well, whats your power draw?

At your level it should be 3, 4 when you are really good (fast) with the aiming and shooting.

I have finished my testings, and I can say with power draw 3 and 140 wpf in archery a non-moving target I usually didnt miss.
However, I needed 3 shots to kill an armored guy.

With power draw 6 it was like you say, not so easy to hit, even if the enemy is dreaming and standing still.

If I wanted to play as archer, I would go for power draw 4, not more.

A lot of people screw up here. Some have power draw 9 and wear heaviest armor and then cry about archery nerf lololol.

With crossbows its of course a lot easier to aim.
But you cant move while reloading, and reloading lasts ages.
The archer can draw another arrow and spam more. Doesnt matter if he misses 19 times in a row, when the important shot is a hit.

Horse archery needs (of course) way more "skill" then footarcher.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline StanleyPain

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: (>'.'<)(*)(*)(¯`·._) LLJK (¯`·._) (*)(*) (>'.'<)
« Reply #307 on: January 17, 2011, 04:29:35 am »

The archer can draw another arrow and spam more. Doesnt matter if he misses 19 times in a row, when the important shot is a hit.

Yes because archers can spam arrows right ;)

I find PD5 with a Strong Bow to be pretty good so far. I'm going to bring it up to 6 but still keep the same arrow just to see how it goes.

Offline SalmonGod

• Peasant
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 17, 2011, 08:25:18 am »

Yes because archers can spam arrows right ;)

Yes, they can.  So long as they don't get focused by enemy ranged, they can stand in one place and just keep firing.  They're also barely slower than a thrower once wpf gets up a ways.  With two stacks of bodkins, I never run out of ammo, either.  The only time I have is when defending on a siege map.

Offline Dekiri

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 17, 2011, 09:42:43 am »

Well, whats your power draw?

At your level it should be 3, 4 when you are really good (fast) with the aiming and shooting.

I have finished my testings, and I can say with power draw 3 and 140 wpf in archery a non-moving target I usually didnt miss.
However, I needed 3 shots to kill an armored guy.

With power draw 6 it was like you say, not so easy to hit, even if the enemy is dreaming and standing still.

If I wanted to play as archer, I would go for power draw 4, not more.

A lot of people screw up here. Some have power draw 9 and wear heaviest armor and then cry about archery nerf lololol.

With crossbows its of course a lot easier to aim.
But you cant move while reloading, and reloading lasts ages.

Horse archery needs (of course) way more "skill" then footarcher.

hm.. being a game admin and all that i would have expected a more educated evaluation of archery in the game at the moment. You have not followed the tests regarding accuracy and PD in the last days especially what keshian said and had tested?

Higher PD seems to improve aim with lower pd req bows.... Meaning pd5 with khergit bow is better regarding accuracy then pd4. Wich seems to actually be true in my tests as well.

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 17, 2011, 10:12:52 am »
No fucking way. They got 4 more damage at most and people are flipping their shit. Archers are not OP and if you pay attention to the goddamn scoreboards, an archer is never ever at the top.

I was at the top twice with my archer alt lvl 28. With powerstrike 1, and polearm wpf 20 (surprisingly effective). Powerdraw 5 and archery wpf 159.

Point is, they're not OP if the archer isn't capable. But just like any other viable class, if you're good with that particular playstyle it's going to be noticed.

My main is dedicated 2h and I have no problem with archers -- heck I don't even use a shield!

EDIT: And so fucking what if an archer is at top? He's not allowed to be effective because you people can't spam your fucking flamberges? Doesn't work that way, friend.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 10:27:04 am by Bjord »
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline Bjarky

• Earl
  • Renown: 352
  • Infamy: 31
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • U got gold? I bring tea, silk, hemp, camels +more!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Leadership member)
  • Game nicks: Guard_BD_Bjarky, Guard_the_Lederhosen
  • IRC nick: bjarky
« Reply #311 on: January 17, 2011, 11:37:33 am »
bjord is buffed too much, nerf nauuw  :mrgreen: