Author Topic: Microsoft buys LinkedIn for $26.2 billion  (Read 6308 times)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft buys LinkedIn for $26.2 billion
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2016, 04:20:20 pm »
That's the thing, you reckon a person would never even think of thinking outside that circle but you don't know. I don't know. I have plenty of experience with deeply religious people who would quite happily think outside the circle so I know from experience that religion doesn't justify being a shitty person. But maybe his brainwashing was far more rigorous than any I've ever seen, and maybe he was entirely sheltered until 2012, I'm open to that possibility.

But Teeth didn't claim 'Give me a break, I was homophobic because I was given untold levels of brainwashing and never exposed to the outside until 2012'. He claimed 'I was a goddamn Christian until 2012' as if that was justification on it's own. And which, on its own, excuses nothing.

Religion is absolutely this forum's blind spot, and I don't just mean in terms of blaming religion. I cant think of any other topics on this forum where you would give someone so much benefit of the doubt. His brainwashing was clearly harsher, he was clearly helpless, he probably secretly wanted to tolerate homosexuality but he never knew any better. Where else would we give so much credence to 'don't blame him, it was his upbringing'?

Blame the belief, not the man. I've said it before and i'll say it again, this forum is remarkably similar to the old religious folk I always used to argue with argue with in a surprising number of ways. I suppose if you go to the furthest edge of a belief you end up in a similar place. When people do 'bad things' it's cos of the devil, it's cos of temptation. It was inconceivable to so many religious people I knew that fault could lay with the individual person doing shitty things, and not some wicked force that manipulated them.

I agree to an extent that people need to be blamed and not Christianity as a whole. In this case his parents are the ones at fault. And the people who made up those homophobic lines in the silly text book. And the ones working off those lines. Then again this is what religion is though, making stuff up and passing it onto other people. It is made up by people, passed on by people to other people therefore religion is people. So by putting the blame on people we can easily put the blame on Christianity, it's just using another word for the whole concept.

And Teeth did put the blame on very specific people in his other post explaining his brainwashedness, and not on the term 'Christianity', so I don't know why you get so triggered over this.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2016, 04:42:12 pm »
It is late of him but maybe no one confronted him on the issue and he had no reason until 2012 to even rethink those mental "choices" (heh). I know I inherited some very weird thoughts from my parents on some other unrelated stuff until my SO told me what the fuck you're not normal and straightened me out, such as only pricy food is good quality.

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2016, 06:17:45 pm »
Don't blame me, my religion forced me to do it.

Lol. The devils of religion made me do something entirely without my own input or me processing my own actions. So I guess I'm blameless right?

How old was Teeth when he stated this shit about gays, 15, 16? So yeah, I'd say that it's not that hard to blame indoctrination/brainwashing for his fucked up opinions. And it's not like he killed someone because religion forced him to do it.

PS. Posted before reading the rest of your posts.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2016, 07:02:38 pm »
Hey guys, Teeth said something against gays in an online forum a few years back, that he has renounced by now, let's be obnoxious pricks to him about it for the rest of his life!

Srsly, wtf is your point Heskey? Because you jumping in to derail this thread against Teeth, following a non-sequitur post by Leshma, totally does not look like some sort of petty vendetta against Teeth, nuh-huh...

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2016, 07:35:05 pm »
+1
Teeth did nothing wrong.

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2016, 08:29:17 pm »
+2

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2016, 11:10:14 pm »
+1
He claimed 'I was a goddamn Christian until 2012' as if that was justification on it's own. And which, on its own, excuses nothing.
It absolutely is, at least for the kind of Christianity I adhered to. To be clear, I am of the opinion that "being a Christian" means actually holding at least some personal conviction that god is real and that the Bible is an inspired text. Once you are in the territory of such beliefs with the Bible clearly denouncing homosexuality and stressing the holiness of the man-woman relationship, not frowning upon homosexuality is just being inconsistent, it comes with the territory. My backwards ideas about homosexuality entirely depended on my belief in a Christian god. As such, as soon as my preference for a bigger picture than my existence on earth finally stopped being enough to patch all the holes, my ideas about homosexuality got revised very quickly and I am a gay-lover supreme nowadays.

Me being a Christian for so long cannot be excused, however, my adherence to Christian beliefs entirely excuses my ideas about homosexuality at the time. I have no idea how anyone is anti-homosexual from an atheist platform. All in all I am not sure what you really want from me here Heskey. Am I a bad person now, even though I have distanced myself extremely far from my prior beliefs in regards to both religion and homosexuality? Have you been a perfect little Bayesian all your life, immune to cognitive dissonance, that you can be so damning? In fact, you claim to have been a Christian and to have never doubted the correctness of homosexuality, that is a nice example of cognitive dissonance right there. Adjusting your religious beliefs to more easily fit with modern society.

By the way, I think the posts Leshma is referring to are in here, read it and weep. I said something really weird here, and I think even at the time I was a bit confused with what I meant when reading it back, and found myself agreeing with what Rhekimos posted next. It sounds pretty shitty though.
http://forum.melee.org/general-off-topic/gay-marriage-you'r-thoughts/75/

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 155
  • Infamy: 578
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2016, 12:42:02 am »
+3
Sadly, I cannot cringe while reading your post history. First need to go through my own dirty laundry and I'm a bit afraid of that. Like Jesus said, something about stones 'n shit tossing.

I actually used your presence in this thread to summon two lost souls. First is Dave, seemingly missing (show your face mothafucka so we know you are well). The other one showed up, but that was expected. When it comes to you, it is safe bet Bjord will pop from somewhere to chat shit. Think he dislikes you more than Dave. Not sure why.

Even if you still hated gays, I'm fine with that. I don't see a reason for hating on sexual choice of one person but that doesn't mean I'll go on a crusade against people who don't feel comfortable about whole gay thing. Political correctness disgust me only a bit less than other extreme.

Gay people are special, they are not average. Just like folks such as myself. People who aren't majority should learn to cope with resistance they'll face in their life. It builds strong character. I prefer being shat upon for my unorthodox actions than seen as special snowflake who is doing everything right. Modern, western society is turning people into morons by forcing political correctness down their throats. They start voting for folks like Trump because of it.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 12:52:08 am by Leshma »

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2016, 01:15:24 am »
As an atheist from catholic tradition and education, I don't understand how anyone can be Catholic and simultaneously think gay catholic marriage is even possible. In Catholicism, marriage is one of the seven Sacraments and the reason of its existence is reproduction. To change that would be creating another religion entirely. I don't see this as a gay rights issue at all. Religious marriages are meaningless, anyway. People concerned with this should form their own Church, this is what religious freedom is for.

Looking at the thread's title: what the hell happened

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2016, 01:36:00 am »
+4
(click to show/hide)

Thats not enough, 200 word essay that you shouldve, as an indoctrinated kid, been able to see through it all. Then a walk of shame naked through the streets. And lastly write "I love gay people" 1000 times on the chalkboard.

But even then its a bit late, you shouldve realised this at the age of 6 like us atheists who are enlightened by our own intelligence. *tips fedora*
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2016, 12:05:09 pm »
take of ur glasses teeth and apologize for slandering christianity, a peaceful and respectful religion, or we'll fucking crucify you for actually having your own opinion about it

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2016, 12:12:32 pm »
+1
The amount of retarded and inherently contradictory things Heskey is saying is... well, the norm for him, but I don't think it's worth it to argue the point with him Teeth, everyone else can understand what you're saying.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Westwood

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mossback, Occitan, Mossitan
  • Game nicks: Westwood
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2016, 09:47:51 pm »
I made the foolish mistake of making up my own mind about the world around me, and not deciding that homosexuality is an affront to god because my handy-dandy handbook of the universe claimed so in certain passages.
How do you figure? That homosexual acts are sin, and that God hates sin, are both pretty clear-cut things. If you're a non-Christian, denying that is either misunderstanding or misrepresenting Christianity and the Bible. If you're a Christian, denying that makes you a really weird Apostate.

You also overlook that "God hates sin but loves sinners," and that it isn't really the place of an individual to judge another individual for engaging in sinful behavior (judgement in a big, Religious sort of way). Regardless of whether or not I have two male neighbors who regularly engage in buggery, I ought to treat them neighborly. That makes sense to me too, it doesn't at all affect me if they stick their penises in each other on the daily, though I am rather tired of reading about how proud they are of doing that in the newspaper. You don't have to hang out and share your weed, of course, but you shouldn't treat someone maliciously for their sin, it isn't any of your business. So really no need to disparage the Word of God there because it does not imbue every Christian with the duty to dump on fags anyway, as some people believe.
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1355
  • Infamy: 53
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2016, 10:42:52 pm »

Expected more downvotes tbh, this being youtube/internet. But yeah, it is clear despite the horrible tragedy, people are reluctant of sticking together for the common goal because of way they presented it greatly annoys general population. Think media must find another way to tackle these issues because this isn't working anymore and could backfire. I really don't want to see this world going backwards again, because arguably it will be last time.

In times like these, when horrible tragedy occurs common decency is to show compassion. Yet people are reluctant to do so.

Reasons why I'm posting this here and no in gay shaming thread started by our favorite Greek, is because this thread is now about about gay issue and Christianity while the other one is something entirely else. Titles on c-rpg forums can be misleading at times.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2016, 11:29:01 pm »
Why do people care about what others do with their personal life, as long as it doesn't harm anyone?
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.