Author Topic: HTC Vive - The new Valve/HTC Virtual reality headset  (Read 3388 times)

Offline 722_

• Marshall
  • Renown: 991
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
HTC Vive - The new Valve/HTC Virtual reality headset
« on: March 02, 2015, 07:56:47 pm »
+2
"At the Mobile World Congress on Sunday, smartphone manufacturer HTC announced the Vive, a powerful new VR headset, built in association with Valve, and featuring two 1200 x 1080 displays, a smooth 90-frames-per-second refresh rate and a bunch of motion tracking technologies: this includes two “base stations” that will work like Microsoft’s Kinect, allowing the headset to track the player’s movement within the room. Vive is also set to ship with two wireless controllers – although little was said about what these would look like.

The big news is, it’s due out later this year, potentially beating both the Oculus Rift and Sony Project Morpheus to market."

New rival to the oculus made by valve? this could be interesting for sure

http://www.htcvr.com

Pics:
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: HTC Vive - The new Valve/HTC Virtual reality headset
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 09:05:13 pm »
+1
As far as I know I have the most VR experience here, and I can already say that "two 1200 x 1080 displays" isn't going to be the last VR headset you want to buy, if you buy it. There's no doubt a Valve cooperation is a better choice than basically anything else on the market right now. The tech is just far from mature. VR will still improve enormously with more pixel density and larger fields of view.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 09:16:52 pm »
+1
Ahhhh, Mobile World Congress, my company is presenting the stuff i've been working on for the past 6 months there. Too bad they're sending some manager types over there, rather than some of us hard-working people, so i can't see this shit IRL. :cry:

Offline 722_

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 09:34:16 pm »
As far as I know I have the most VR experience here, and I can already say that "two 1200 x 1080 displays" isn't going to be the last VR headset you want to buy, if you buy it. There's no doubt a Valve cooperation is a better choice than basically anything else on the market right now. The tech is just far from mature. VR will still improve enormously with more pixel density and larger fields of view.

I have only tried the very first oculus rift and you really can see the pixels in it, dont know what res that one was though. it also made me feel very sick after about 10 minuites.

What excites me though is the sense of scale that these things bring to games, it really felt like I was in the game world. its amazing how large the trees in minecraft look and I spent a minute or two just standing under one and looking at it.

Offline Armpit_Sweat

• High Lord of the Spam
  • King
  • Renown: 1417
  • Infamy: 154
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Armpit_Sweat, My_horses_name_is_Rebecca
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 12:58:48 am »
+3
What excites me though is the sense of scale that these things bring to games, it really felt like I was in the game world. its amazing how large the trees in minecraft look and I spent a minute or two just standing under one and looking at it.

Theoretically speaking, when technology permits it, me and my wife can have sex wearing headsets, and seeing each other as movie stars. Or using a penis-mounted camera, I could actually become my own penis, and explore my wife in a new and exciting way.
Yeah, and we also need a service that will let you connect to people who is wearing a headset, so one can follow each other around while sitting on a sofa/toilet. This will be a next-gen facebook'ish service, and teenagers will go crazy to get more people to watch them do stuff.

Spam at The Temple of Spam

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1462
  • Infamy: 799
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 09:22:34 pm »
+1
First impressions are very encouraging. While it doesn't beat Rift display's, it is vastly better at tracking. Also many games confirmed for SteamOS (Witcher 3, Batman Arkham Knight), there is a sale going on atm. Source 2 announced, will be free to use (not sure about source code availability). Also some Steam Machines revealed but not pricing (Zotac Steam Machines is fucking great, but I doubt it will be sold for less than 1000 dollars). Final controller design shown. Steam Link (50 dollar streaming machine) shown. Also nVidia Titan X revealed on GDC.

In other news, Unreal Engine dropped subscription. Source code and everything else is free to download, you only pay 5% royalty for products that earn more than 3000 dollars. Unity answered with free personal edition (no royalty) but dunno about source code. Shown nice demo, just like Unreal. Also UT has first map finished, looks gorgeous. Vulkan API announced (codename OpenGL next), a lot of code is taken from AMD Mantle API. Mantle is dead. Source 2 will support Vulkan, Epic didn't say anything about UE4 but it is matter of time imho. Vulkan supports all platforms, even mobile.

Leshma from GDC 2015, out!

Offline 722_

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 09:47:18 pm »
First impressions are very encouraging. While it doesn't beat Rift display's, it is vastly better at tracking. Also many games confirmed for SteamOS (Witcher 3, Batman Arkham Knight), there is a sale going on atm. Source 2 announced, will be free to use (not sure about source code availability). Also some Steam Machines revealed but not pricing (Zotac Steam Machines is fucking great, but I doubt it will be sold for less than 1000 dollars). Final controller design shown. Steam Link (50 dollar streaming machine) shown. Also nVidia Titan X revealed on GDC.

In other news, Unreal Engine dropped subscription. Source code and everything else is free to download, you only pay 5% royalty for products that earn more than 3000 dollars. Unity answered with free personal edition (no royalty) but dunno about source code. Shown nice demo, just like Unreal. Also UT has first map finished, looks gorgeous. Vulkan API announced (codename OpenGL next), a lot of code is taken from AMD Mantle API. Mantle is dead. Source 2 will support Vulkan, Epic didn't say anything about UE4 but it is matter of time imho. Vulkan supports all platforms, even mobile.

Leshma from GDC 2015, out!

Nice update leshma, I am actually somewhat interested in these new steam machine / link things. would like something to replace my old ps3 netflix machine.

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 01:37:28 am »
+1
Making a decision about which one to purchase will be hard. I've been saving since January. o.O

Offline Dalhi

• Earl
  • Renown: 415
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dalhi
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 11:10:31 am »
+2
It is not really surprising that all steam machines or rather "living room PC's" are overpriced.
http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/these-are-the-steam-machines-landing-this-holiday-season-1287235

Also the steam controller looks bit wierd and and first impressions aren't really promisiing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdMe4mHUH2c

So, all in all I won't pay for something that I already have. Streaming isn't really something that I am looking for as I already plugged PC to TV with 10 m hdmi cable and I play games with xbox controller without blessing from Valve.
The only question is how games will perform on SteamOS compered to Windows.

Also some Steam Machines revealed but not pricing (Zotac Steam Machines is fucking great, but I doubt it will be sold for less than 1000 dollars
1000 dollars for mobile cpu and gpu?  :lol: If someone will want a PC that is locked in itx case, do it yourself. I wouldn't recommend getting any of those.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 11:32:34 am by Dalhi »

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 11:29:14 am »
+1
Well, I am certainly interested in the Steam controller - they said it's going to available in November 2015 for around $50...
I'll keep an eye on the upcoming reviews.

VR is nothing I am interested in tbh.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 12:31:23 pm »
+1
Didn't valve also co-operate with occulus?

I don't get it. I get the feeling HTC are extremely overplaying the association with valve, to boost sales from fanbois.

When it came to steam-boxes valve didn't just partner with one company.

Offline Andswaru

• Duke
  • Renown: 554
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • SeaRaider_
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen of Fenada / SeaRaiders
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Andswaru
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 12:38:17 pm »
+2
I don't get it. I get the feeling HTC are extremely overplaying the association with valve, to boost sales from fanbois.

They are just trying to angle themselves as the "offical partner of valve", so all the idiots think, omg if i dont buy HTC it might not be compatible with all my steam stuff. Like the idiots that only buy Sony (insert any other big name brand really) cables for their tv because the manual says a Sony HDMI cable, and pay a for 40 euro premium in the process.
Smooth is the admin NA deserves. Not being that much better, EU deserves Thomek.
[18:25] <@chadz> soon(tm)

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 01:44:00 pm »
+1
In all fairness, I have my 3rd smartphone from HTC in use atm and I have always been very satisfied.
As far as I can tell, they know their electronics.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 01:48:33 pm »
+1
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31734418

Nice article about this.

Certainly sounds promising. Albeit requiring the space to move around could be a bugger.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 01:51:58 pm by Overdriven »

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 02:05:34 pm »
+1
http://store.steampowered.com/universe/vr/

Looks like they aren't just using Valve's name to sell the product - fully endorsed and integrated on their website along with the new Steam controller (this is what i have my eye on the most). What seems weired to me is that they didn't let Valve announce it themselves. The internet would have gone crazy over this if they did

Also: http://www.pcgamer.com/steamvr-hands-on-valve-overtakes-oculus/
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 02:13:33 pm by Grumbs »
If you have ranged troubles use this: