Poll

How do you feel about the new 2h stab animation?

Keep it
Revert it
I'm not sure.

Author Topic: [Poll] Feedback on 2h stab.  (Read 25501 times)

Offline Senni__Ti

• Earl
  • Renown: 472
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Senni_Ti
  • IRC nick: Senni
Re: [Poll] Feedback on 2h stab.
« Reply #375 on: July 19, 2015, 02:09:29 am »
+5
Couldn't have said it better. M&B never was a medieval-simulator, it's just the theme of the game. I'm not saying that the developers didn't do their homework on the medieval stuff but really.. do we have to start replacing animations just because some stance is not realistic compared to actual medieval combat and replace it with semi-useless "wagabungahocheirwhateverthefuck"-stance seen in some medieval painting.. holy shit

And before some cumchugger comes whining about the previous stab being too OP, wasn't the original reason for the change that the native-stab just looked stupid and unrealistic?

Och's (native stab) is in paintings, mine isn't afaik.
I can't say I did any historical research on it. (quick google, didn't come up with anything I liked)

The native stab has a lot of body part intersections, fucks up hitboxes.
It's not that the stance isn't realistic, it's just a really shitty animation.

Basically it comes down to:
1) People don't like change.
2) I messed up the implementation of my anim.

I'll keep trying to get no.2 right, but it's not really fit for public consumption as it is.

I've been asked to tweak the old one, so it won't be a full revert.
Though it'll be pretty close (I'm trying to unfuck it, while keeping it as close as possible to the original).

For those of you with Openbrf:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/102341596/2h_stab.brf

Offline Halk

• Earl
  • Renown: 321
  • Infamy: 34
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: AmoX
  • Game nicks: Spamwhore, Xanor, david324
« Reply #376 on: July 19, 2015, 03:53:49 am »
+1
Och's (native stab) is in paintings, mine isn't afaik.
I can't say I did any historical research on it. (quick google, didn't come up with anything I liked)

The native stab has a lot of body part intersections, fucks up hitboxes.
It's not that the stance isn't realistic, it's just a really shitty animation.

Basically it comes down to:
1) People don't like change.
2) I messed up the implementation of my anim.

I'll keep trying to get no.2 right, but it's not really fit for public consumption as it is.

I've been asked to tweak the old one, so it won't be a full revert.
Though it'll be pretty close (I'm trying to unfuck it, while keeping it as close as possible to the original).

For those of you with Openbrf:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/102341596/2h_stab.brf

Yeah, I think no one is asking for the 'real' native stab to come back but the one that we had before this experiment. If it has to be nerfed or tweaked so be it but all I hope is that it's useful once again.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Halk

• Earl
  • Renown: 321
  • Infamy: 34
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: AmoX
  • Game nicks: Spamwhore, Xanor, david324
« Reply #377 on: July 19, 2015, 03:54:11 am »
Holy shit I suck with these fucking posts.. How can I delete this particular one I made by an accident?

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: July 19, 2015, 07:21:03 am »
+8
Just do whatever Tydeus did with the 1hand stab to make that "OP" aka fun to use. We don't need the 360 lolspinning, thing is that spinning most of the time isn't used to abuse game mechanics or confuse opponents but because stabbing glances all the time against lagging brazillians and russians utilizing horrible warband netcode and you gotta spin drag wiggle and wag with any weapon longer than my dick (so pikes, long spears, maybe the flamberge and greatswords on a bad day) to actually fight people in this fighting game.

I like Tydeus's approach in that he basically just used the 1hand stab and made it do damage earlier and faster or w/e because it made it feel like I was some methed up sociopath stabbing people in the chest to kill them, aka more realistic.

I think most 2handers and players in general would agree that we don't like seeing people rotating and spinning like some jew dradle, we just like stabs that you can see where you are aiming, and work at long and short range without resorting to animation abuse.

keep a reduced turn rate imo but amp up the "killing power" on release, and maybe tune it down after full extension? the fairy tale lightsaber stuff is when a fully extended stab is the "sweetspot" for a while and it gets dragged into people all goofy and causes rage in the stab victim.

I quite enjoy how the old stab looks, there is a reason i made that star wars gif too, it looks like luke is trying to fucking kill his deadbeat bundle of sticks dad with rage, which is why most people play cRPG to begin with. you could make it more "balanced" but also make it more fun and "powerful" feeling to use with tweaks like that, IMO
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 07:24:41 am by Smoothrich »
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: July 20, 2015, 05:01:38 pm »
+1
I dunno. I liked 1h stab before. I like it now. I liked 2h stab before. I like it now. They aren't even different visuals for the same attack, they are completely different beasts that need taming and putting to work in different tasks. You wanna change 2h stab again, meh, do it again, guess anyone still left playing at that point will learn to use w/e you give us. And then we'll be shot, same as before.

BTW if u wanna improve melee gameplay a bit have a look at curved weapon speeds: I cannot think of a single one that isn't too fast. Not much, but 2-5 speed too much an all curved swords. Just FYI.
I don't know enough

Offline Thryn

• Meme Artisan
  • Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 1177
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook
  • buff 2h tbh
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Confederacy
  • Game nicks: Thryn
  • IRC nick: Black Bastards
« Reply #380 on: July 25, 2015, 08:48:35 pm »
+1
BTW if u wanna improve melee gameplay a bit have a look at curved weapon speeds: I cannot think of a single one that isn't too fast. Not much, but 2-5 speed too much an all curved swords. Just FYI.

idk why you'd want curved swords changed (assuming we're talking about mostly 1h); they all are missing a stab which is a major pro for 1 handed playstyle so they have good speed and cut pretty well

the liuyedao is pretty fast at mw but it's shorter than the scims and the only person i recall using it to great effect was san back when level 31 was retire level and he was level 36 with many l00ms

maybe it just looks like it hits really fast because invis box

We may not love corrupt government, but we must love our country.

Offline Socks

• Baron
  • Renown: 124
  • Infamy: 190
  • cRPG Player
  • im gay
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: platypus
« Reply #381 on: August 17, 2015, 11:07:39 am »
+4
so when will we finally recieve our patch and the 2h stab reverted to the og 1