Author Topic: RPG Mechanics in Online Gaming  (Read 505 times)

Offline SalmonGod

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
RPG Mechanics in Online Gaming
« on: January 08, 2011, 09:07:53 pm »
This is crpg related, but also a major topic of game design controversy for me in general.

I have a major issue with the basic idea of rpg mechanics in online games.  Character building is fun, but I don't like the idea of rewarding success.  I know this sounds odd at first, but think about it.

Player A beats Player B in their first match.  Player A has already proven that they're most likely better at the game than Player B.  The game rewards Player A via rpg mechanics for his success with further advantages over Player B.  Player A can now defeat Player B with even less of a challenge, resulting in less fun for Player A.  Player B loses more and more hope of ever beating Player A with every loss, resulting in less fun for Player B.

It would make more sense for the game to give a handicap bonus to Player B.  This way Player A continues to face an enjoyable challenge, and Player B has continuing opportunity to compete.

I've seen a lot of people since the hotfix complaining that the game doesn't reward people enough for wins of individual k/d ratios and the like.  Based on the above, I disagree. 

I want to know what other people have to say about this.  This is a common gripe I've had with game design in general over the last several years.  It seems developers are more and more often making games in defiance of this basic logic, and it really pisses me off at times.