Author Topic: The Great Turning Point  (Read 14992 times)

Offline lombardsoup

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 222
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Turning Point
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2014, 09:19:16 am »
+1
The question we should be asking is why the hell Bannerlord still isn't done yet

Announcing DLC for Warband at this stage of its life cycle is stupid

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2014, 09:33:59 am »
As many of you know, cRPG has been on the decline for... Like, a long time. Except now that is becoming more apparent as NA continues to have less and less people at primetime (NA1/NA2/etc), while EU shows even more inactivity. Certain issues (HA, 1H stab, Pole animations, Cav exploits, etc) remain unfixed and largely unaddressed by DonkeyCrew, while Strat continues to cause rifts between clans and players (more so than usual, at least).Neither is necessarily bad, but both present a different aspect to the mod in the coming months/years.

Bannerlord is starting to rear it's magnificent head in the field of medieval combat games (which will also likely replace cRPG and other mods of the previous game), while a new DLC for Warband is likely to add some new, interesting concepts to the somewhat dated game.

We are reaching a turning point in this mod. Wether cRPG will endure it's present issues and remain alive and kicking or if it will finally settle to a relatively inactive community with a few vets holding out, I don't know.
I would like, however, to listen to the input of everyone in the community about their opinions and what we can or can't do to keep this mod going or if we should let it fade away, or perhaps if things are just gonna stay the same perpetually.

So... Thoughts?

Strat kept it alive for a few years longer.  You can blame the death on the faction leaders that ally with 80% of the active players left on the map on Eu side and the other alliance of 80% of the active players left on NA side for why strat dying, which leads to the general death of the crpg mod.  Rather than real battles we get 50 v 30 fights or worse, which kills off the community.  On NA side many of those still fighting in strat battles are the least active factions on the map that contributed almost no battles and took no responsibility for killing the mod through their actions and inaction.  Only after half the players that actually fought and atatcked quit out of boredom because they were the only ones ever attacking, do these vultures merc en masse so they cam feed the imbalance of 50 v 30 battles instead of more even fights. 

Faction leaders who never thought of the community or the mod are the main reason the mod is near-death.  They were so worried about their pixel-crack and their e-peens they contribute nothing and only add to disparities that kill off fun for most of the community and makes many leave for other games never to return ( I have heard many many people report this).  If they ever cared at all about this community they would have supported activity and the mod.  Sadly, many clans and their leaders are lichens sapping the life out of this mod out of a desperate fear of losing. 
(click to show/hide)
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Testicleez

• Duke
  • Renown: 619
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Testicleez
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2014, 10:15:42 am »
+5
Strat kept it alive for a few years longer.  You can blame the death on the faction leaders that ally with 80% of the active players left on the map on Eu side and the other alliance of 80% of the active players left on NA side for why strat dying, which leads to the general death of the crpg mod.  Rather than real battles we get 50 v 30 fights or worse, which kills off the community.  On NA side many of those still fighting in strat battles are the least active factions on the map that contributed almost no battles and took no responsibility for killing the mod through their actions and inaction.  Only after half the players that actually fought and atatcked quit out of boredom because they were the only ones ever attacking, do these vultures merc en masse so they cam feed the imbalance of 50 v 30 battles instead of more even fights. 

Faction leaders who never thought of the community or the mod are the main reason the mod is near-death.  They were so worried about their pixel-crack and their e-peens they contribute nothing and only add to disparities that kill off fun for most of the community and makes many leave for other games never to return ( I have heard many many people report this).  If they ever cared at all about this community they would have supported activity and the mod.  Sadly, many clans and their leaders are lichens sapping the life out of this mod out of a desperate fear of losing. 
(click to show/hide)

Believe it or not, Kesh, but not everyone plays this mod just for strat. MB has an active playerbase daily in NA_1 (along with the other clans you mentioned in that absurd presentation of spoilers). Earlier today, Aldo invited some new player he saw in NA_1 into our Teamspeak and showed him the ropes, along with help from some other people in the channel. 90% of the time I'm in the MB channel, there's always at least a few people playing c-RPG & having a fun time (and I know there's a shit ton of MB people who play but don't come in TS). I doubt you've ever played NA_1 for anything other than strat ticks. You can't just have endless strat battles for 10+ hours per day. Battle/Siege is the core of the c-RPG. Strat is a fun, yet 50% of the time broken, game mode for the mod. Pull your head out of your ass.

This SS was taken just a few months ago back when I could still play. I doubt our stack is still this big, but I know that MB is an active clan in c-RPG who have fun playing the game every day. So don't try & blame Aldo or any other clan's leader for the continuous decline of players over the past 2 years.
(click to show/hide)

tl;dr version: Kesh, you are a piece of shit.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Sagar

• Earl
  • Renown: 463
  • Infamy: 279
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bogumili
  • Game nicks: Sagar
  • IRC nick: Sagar
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2014, 10:29:57 am »
+1
Its a old game and old mod ....

But it does not hurt to have a little more often, new armors and weapons.
Mod Battle for Europe have really nice models of new weapons (of course we need to have to license for it).

Such things would attract players to play again.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2014, 11:17:06 am »
+10
I think additions of new items contribute fuck-all to the longevity or gameplay experience of the mod, at least in the grand scheme of things. Whenever you hear people discuss the mod in the old days, they are always talking about meaningful gameplay stuff that was different back then and how it was better or worse, nobody ever seems to even remember we had like 50% less items, because it doesn't actually affect the game experience in any significant way.

They get added, everybody is fucking hyped for one day, then it is business as usual and the gameplay experience remains the exact same. 

Strat kept it alive for a few years longer.
Strat completely annihilated the competitive clan scene that was actually quite vibrant in summer 2011, which perhaps could have done more good for the mod than Strat. Clan battles > EU 1 > EU 2 > the average Strat battle. Strat is not that fun in the eyes of many.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 03:31:58 pm by Teeth »

Offline Protemus

• Earl
  • Renown: 346
  • Infamy: 270
  • cRPG Player
  • EZ
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan EZ kills
  • Game nicks: niluK_the_Annoying aka EZ
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2014, 02:27:16 pm »
+2

Strat completely annihilated the competitive clan scene that was actually quite vibrant in summer 2011, which perhaps could have done more good for the mod than Strat. Clan battles > EU 1 > EU 2 > the average Strat battle. Strat is not that fun in the eyes of many.

That last sentence right there, I've started playing around autumn 2011 and I've never EVER played Strat, the only time I've made character there was when IdZo asked me to place it somewhere in Latvian's village for god knows what reason.
The thing is I don't like numbers and I hate math, in Strategus both is important, everything is about numbers and 2D ugly map and some trading, walking around towns and shit, awful.
Quote from: Melee Gaming
Protemus, You have received a warning for non-relevant posts in ban section also for personal attacks with disgusting insults on the forums. Chill out and enjoy the game. Regards, cRPG Team

Offline wayyyyyne

• Marshall
  • Renown: 725
  • Infamy: 233
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2014, 02:37:48 pm »
+8
yeah, strat is basically some autistic spread sheet simulator

Offline Chosen1

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • Infamy: 1016
  • cRPG Player
  • din do nuffin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Castile
  • Game nicks: Chosen1, Matteo, El_Cid
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2014, 02:51:20 pm »
people arent trying as hard as me at strat so they are the ones killing the mod

honestly kesh why do you keep saying this
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 03:16:50 pm by Chosen1 »
I'm sorry I hurt your feelings cmp, I would feel pretty bad too if I was a useless no life virgin who spent his adulthood making video games LOL
its ok though, now i have more time to - all the posters i dont like
But I wrote a poem that I would like you all to read

Offline Boerenlater

• Marshall
  • Renown: 728
  • Infamy: 204
  • cRPG Player
  • Jebem ti život!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Boerenlater
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2014, 02:52:25 pm »
+5
Curious as to what people are playing instead of this

Might as well drive the final nail into the coffin
I decided trying to have a life.
Actually it's way harder than c-rpg.

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2014, 03:21:03 pm »
+4
I decided trying to have a life.
Actually it's way harder than c-rpg.

I think it makes me a huge colossal tremendous humongous gigantic my old friendlord but it was way harder trying really hard in strategus and doing that for hours a day as opposed to having a job and doing shit in real life.

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline kaassaus

• Knight
  • Renown: 43
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Routier
  • Game nicks: Daniels
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2014, 03:21:23 pm »
+1
Well we all can keep this mod alive, every weekend ill be able to play not on weekdays.
Lets meet like tonight on EU1 en have a real battle!

I dont think this At fifteen, I had the will to  learn ; at thirty, I could stand ; at forty, I had no  doubts ; at fifty, I understood the heavenly Bidding ;  at sixty, my ears were opened ; at seventy, I could  do as my heart lusted without trespassing from the  square. at all, cause the most dedicated players keep it alive..
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 03:25:43 pm by kaassaus »

Offline kaassaus

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2014, 03:26:32 pm »
+1
note

i dont think this At fifteen, I had the will to  learn ; at thirty, I could stand ; at forty, I had no  doubts ; at fifty, I understood the heavenly Bidding ;  at sixty, my ears were opened ; at seventy, I could  do as my heart lusted without trespassing from the  square. cause the most dedicated players keep it alive

Offline kaassaus

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2014, 03:27:01 pm »
+7
wtf?

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2014, 04:05:23 pm »
+9
cRPG will die when there's another game that has game mechanics that are just as engaging.

I do miss the clan tournaments of the early years, but that's tied to a different culture. Those clans were home to competitive schools of thought, and had people who cared a lot about the game. Granted, that results in shitty behavior and all sorts of abuses, but the interest was there, partially because the novelty was still there. Strat of old was entertaining because it was so impossible. 6 hour sieges? Coordinating dozens of people 24 hours a day?  remember those? Who has time for that any more? Or interest?

All the roleplayers, too. Not like RPG roles, but like wrestling personalities. We were less jaded. Less cynical.

We've grown up as a game community, and there's nothing left to do but enjoy our retirement, teach whatever new kids show interest, and wait for the inevitable.

Offline Screaming Idiot

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: HoC_Screaming_Idiot
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2014, 04:39:55 pm »
+1
We've grown up as a game community, and there's nothing left to do but enjoy our retirement, teach whatever new kids show interest, and wait for the inevitable.

I guess cRPG is sort of a stepping stone towards what comes in this niche class of games (at least for those who want to git gud), especially considering Bannerlord and other similar intense melee combat games. As with all things, cRPG will fade away one day, but all some of us will have a blast the whole way through.

And I think I'm still classified as a new kid even though I've been playing for a year. I only just got marginally okay at playing it, but despite my rage, the community kept pulling me back.