Author Topic: Battle map commplaints  (Read 1037 times)

Offline Christopher_Robin

• Noble
  • Renown: 18
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Battle map commplaints
« on: September 19, 2014, 02:44:32 pm »
+1
I see way to many maps in battle that are so archer and cav friendly.
Infantry is the weakest class in Warband and therefor I think that maps should be adapted for infantry.

Any map with ladders leading to roofs is stupid, and open plain map in battle is stupid beacause it gives infantry no
what so every advantage over archers or cav. Many might say "Grab a shield noob" but what if 2 hander is my primary class?
Sure I can still have my shield on my back wich does litteraly nothing, and while it does protect me while I walk up the the archer
I will have infantry and sometimes cav chasing me and forcing me to take the shield away and there is no where to hide because
all maps are so open with only few buildings, and even for people who use shield and sword, they must fight infantry while having no
cover making them a easy target for cav or archers.

You can keep tweeking the classes and nerfing weapons but I don't think that is the problem, I think it's the maps.
My tip is to make towns and cities, not open fields or ruins. Villages are okay if made with thought.

Now when that is of my chest, I'm gonna get drunk and listen to sad songs till I cry and fall asleep.

Edit: I know that making maps take a long time, I've been mapping/scening myself for many server in native for most of my time here in Warband,
but I would rather play 2 good maps over and over again then 15 bad ones, so spend time and make good maps.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 02:48:59 pm by Christopher_Robin »

Offline Fips

• Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
Re: Battle map commplaints
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 06:37:01 pm »
If you want to play maps that are at least cav unfriendly, play siege. Ranged will not get fixed by maps.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 10:22:59 pm »
If you want to play maps that are at least cav unfriendly, play siege. Ranged will not get fixed by maps.

wrong, when you have maps with 1 way in and out that also offer significant cover...it is only going to encourage ranged camping.  Doesnt matter if you have a shield, smart ranged will just split up and one of them will eventually likely get you in the back as you kill another.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 07:04:31 pm »
+1
Bullshit.

To disprove this, the only map you need to look at, is Arena. Ranged is rarely ever able to have a large impact on the outcome of the map except where one team has a large proportion of ranged(which results in the team losing miserably). What's more, is that I can imagine several ways to further reduce both ranged and cav effectiveness on that map, as well as entire other maps that doesn't rely on them being so small or straight forward.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Fips

• Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 11:27:27 pm »
Ok, let me phrase that a little different: Ranged shouldn't get fixed by maps, because it would severely hurt the map variety. Thus, the first statement still stands, it will not happen. The ranged problem needs to be dealt with in another way. We got plenty of item balancers/advisors/whatnot now who have to take care of that. Switching the battle rotation to infantry maps only is a crappy solution to the problem.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 01:58:38 pm »
Ok, let me phrase that a little different: Ranged shouldn't get fixed by maps, because it would severely hurt the map variety. Thus, the first statement still stands, it will not happen. The ranged problem needs to be dealt with in another way. We got plenty of item balancers/advisors/whatnot now who have to take care of that. Switching the battle rotation to infantry maps only is a crappy solution to the problem.
Fair enough. The problem though, is that ranged and cav can't be properly balanced through only those few numbers that the Warband Module System allows us to change. For four years now, we've taken the number balance approach. I think it's time we reach a compromise. Not all maps should be neutral/not shit for melee, but several more should.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline imisshotmail

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 504
  • Infamy: 428
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 08:57:15 pm »

Nobody cares about map variety except a small section of autists (people like you). People just want balanced maps that are fun to play on.