Poll

Should balancers make it a clear goal to make crpg more infantry friendly?

Yes. Melee mechanics are the core of crpg, we should play on that strength.
53 (50%)
No. Ranged and Cav are just as valuable when it comes to gameplay.
53 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Author Topic: Dear balancers.  (Read 10800 times)

Offline F i n

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1148
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Hi
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fin
  • IRC nick: Fin
Re: Dear balancers.
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2014, 11:45:47 pm »
+2
Very Simple Solution to all of this:

Get rid of the 3000000 bazillion slot EU1 - which propably hasn't been full for 100000 years.

Introduce more different Battletypes and -servers instead and finally get rid of the dead EU6.

1) The Kings' battle (100 Slots) - Min. 10k Equipment Value / No Restrictions / HA and HX + Full Ranged 
(click to show/hide)
/ vast Maps / Plains / Fields
(click to show/hide)
+ Bannerbalance

(Propably the clans' choice)

2) The Earls' battle (75 Slots) - 20k max. equipment value / No Horse Ranged / Mixed Maps + Bannerbalance

(Good for skilled players that seek a casual, yet demanding game)

3) The Civil war (75 Slots) - 10k max. equipment value, only close combat / City Maps / NO BANNERBALANCE)

(A Place for new players and old ones. A K:D / Levelbased Balancing could counter the abuse by veteran-clans)

That way you'd give new players a place to have at least equally equipped enemies.

You would also give older Players a better time testing their strength and skill.

Because basically the only choices we have atm are:

Play on EU1 (Getting shot at or being raped / if there's even players on... yesterday for example i was playing on eu1 at like 1am with 20 players on - and 3 Horsearchers.... if it's not even fun for an old my old friend with some decent equipment and kind of a working skillset how should this ever be fun for a new player)

Play on EU2 (Well. It's not battle... and therefor not using the full potential of the fighting mechanics / Skillsets)

Play on EU3 (With yourself...)

Play on EU6 (With a ball and 1-3 drunk or deathmatching people)

Play on EU7 (...a multiplayer game with bots...yeah right.)

OR :

Don't play (My Choice number 1 the past few days - and propably the conclusion many new potential crpg-gods came to after giving crpg a shot... like literally)

It's time to make this interesting again.

Deleting a class, or rendering it useless might be one way. But i'm sure there's others.
"Life was easier as a borderline alcoholic." (chadz, 2016)

Offline spiritus

• Baron
  • Renown: 97
  • Infamy: 106
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Spiritus_de_Deceptio ---- Beeep
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2014, 02:31:22 am »
I have a hard time playing crpg recently even when i play shielders or str builds i still get eaten up by range /:

Offline Chosen1

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • Infamy: 1016
  • cRPG Player
  • din do nuffin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Castile
  • Game nicks: Chosen1, Matteo, El_Cid
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2014, 04:16:29 am »
Very Simple Solution to all of this:

get a shield
I'm sorry I hurt your feelings cmp, I would feel pretty bad too if I was a useless no life virgin who spent his adulthood making video games LOL
its ok though, now i have more time to - all the posters i dont like
But I wrote a poem that I would like you all to read
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline GOBBLINKINGREATLEADER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 515
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Daruvian, GOBBLINKINGGREATLEADER
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2014, 04:51:36 am »
+3
I just want to know who was brave (foolish) enough to post in here and say "yes, make Daruvian an item adviser."

(click to show/hide)

Really though, class balance is pieced together by a whole bunch of voodoo magick bullshit that even the balancers can't control. There's random trends of players all getting on one playstyle, maps that benefit some classes and impair others, the fact that some builds are immensely stronger at 32+ than they are 1-30, a wonky as fuck engine, and all sorts of other confounding factors that have to be considered.

Edit: I for one vote that we change the "Balancer" and "Item Adviser" titles to "Voodoo Magick Bullshit Shaman".
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 04:54:51 am by Daruvian »

Offline Quiksilver

• Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • I only rage when there are people to hear me do so
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2014, 06:52:02 am »
+4
Cav and ranged i can deal with, you can chase archers and they eventually have to fight, very annoying of course. Lance cav are fun to slip and then hit with a polearm or 2h. Its the compination of the two that is retarded   http://i.imgur.com/tlrHm0W.png this is a game early in the morning of nothign but 10 or so HA against a team that didnt even have cav. This was not only this game this was three games in a row before i was fed up. Not everyone had spawned at this point and there were infact more HA. If you have to leave these troll classes in to submit to this fantasy part of the community, then fine, but fix this balancing.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2014, 10:14:42 am »
+2
I gonna pick up on something what Thomek wrote: Maneuver of horses.

Some days back when there were quite a lot of cav players, I asked for their honest opinion about horses having overall too much maneuver and funny enough:

From those 10-12 cav riders, except for 1, they all said "Yea, it's way too high."
So, that would be a start when even the cav players actually agree that it should be more difficult. The light horses stop in an instance and turn on a penny with high riding. Either change the maneuver values on the horses across the board or lower the bonus high riding gives. The latter would probably affect HA/HX the most cuz they rely on high maneuver the most.

Just my 2 cents... leave the donkey alone tho! :wink:
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline MURDERTRON

• King
  • Renown: 1337
  • Infamy: 428
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TRUMP / WEST 2020
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2014, 02:31:55 pm »
+6
I really don't think cavalry can take another nerf without free look being removed.  Just about anyone can dodge a cav player in a 1v1 situation.  Any further nerfs to maneuverability would just be a nerf to teamwork and a huge buff to ranged.
▀█▀▒█▀█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒█▒█▀█▒▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█
▒█▒▒█▄█▒█▒█▒██▒██▒█▄█▒▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒█
▒█▒▒█▀▄▒█▄█▒█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒▄

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2014, 06:43:15 pm »
I agree, horse deceleration should be slower and maneuverability at higher speeds should be much more limited.  And massive deceleration should prevent you from attacking or risk being thrown.

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2014, 04:34:03 pm »
+4
Well If you can split cav and ranged equally(by effectiveness) between bought teams that would solve most of the problems that we have now. Peoples often cry about ranged because balance like to put them in to one team and if that team have cav superiority too....
well then balance unbalance teams.

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2014, 04:49:06 pm »
+2
It's a bit complicated to make battles infantry melee-centric without breaking cavalry/ranged entirely as classes if changes are only done via modifying things like item stats.

As long as long non-obscured terrain exists (even worse if it happens to be on a hill/stairs), ranged will dominate shield-less infantry.

As long as infantry do not coordinate and group up tightly so that they outnumber enemy cavalry by at least 3:1 per engagement, cavalry will dominate infantry in any scene that doesn't have a ton of logs/rocks impeding free movement.

As long as foot archers don't have a fortified position, cavalry will dominate them 1:1.

Something like HA/HX is even more complicated, since infantry (especially shieldless) are just helpless against them in an open map as long as they don't take dumb risks, and they're basically only countered by multiple ranged in fortified positions.
Good class balance can't effectively come through simply changing numbers in warband; there are too many hardcoded mechanics that you can't touch. The only balance that should be done through item stats, is balancing items of the same type, with each other. Please can we finally acknowledge this fact? Can we accept that the very maps that 1/2 the community wants to play on (open terrain) are the very things causing balance issues?

You can't both have your cake and eat it.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2014, 05:09:44 pm »
I don't agree.

* In the past nerfs have kept ranged down to a minimum. Nowadays they often top the scoreboard. If those classes stay competitive, it is detrimental for gameplay, because infantry are squeezed between ranged AND cav. Combos making them even more powerful. (Like getting bumped, then shot)

* HA/HX: Creativity is what it takes to nerf them. Make only few bows usable on horse, nerf those. (for example)

* Why can't horse maneuver be touched?

The only thing that needs to be clear, is that infantry is the base food in the food-chain that other classes eat. If it gets squeezed out, the mod dies.

It is a complete misconception that ranged (or cav for that matter) should be competitive in the first place.

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2014, 05:13:39 pm »
Good class balance can't effectively come through simply changing numbers in warband; there are too many hardcoded mechanics that you can't touch. The only balance that should be done through item stats, is balancing items of the same type, with each other. Please can we finally acknowledge this fact? Can we accept that the very maps that 1/2 the community wants to play on (open terrain) are the very things causing balance issues?

You can't both have your cake and eat it.
HA It looks like you hit brick wall of code but angry mob is still pushing you on it and CMP with sledgehammer(WSE) is in another dimension building new universe.

There is no help there is no hope.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 05:18:04 pm by Rebelyell »

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?

Offline AntiBlitz

• Duke
  • Renown: 636
  • Infamy: 187
  • cRPG Player
  • American Scum
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2014, 05:37:12 pm »
+2
i dont know why freelook is even a thing, ive always said from the beginning that shit needed removed, its retarded, the eyes all around you shit is stupid.

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2014, 06:01:02 pm »
+1
i dont know why freelook is even a thing, ive always said from the beginning that shit needed removed, its retarded, the eyes all around you shit is stupid.
Eh... what?
Because cavalry totally needs a buff like that, right?  :)

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2014, 06:27:07 pm »
+9
I still maintain that a lot of these issues stem from map design. More town maps would have a significant impact on the effectiveness of non-melee classes.