Poll

Should balancers make it a clear goal to make crpg more infantry friendly?

Yes. Melee mechanics are the core of crpg, we should play on that strength.
53 (50%)
No. Ranged and Cav are just as valuable when it comes to gameplay.
53 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Author Topic: Dear balancers.  (Read 10847 times)

Offline Quiksilver

• Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • I only rage when there are people to hear me do so
    • View Profile
Re: Dear balancers.
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2014, 06:49:22 pm »
I have fallen in love with the conquest maps on siege lately, they make cav almost completely in effective and archers cant run forever without running into a teammate or straight back into their own spawn. I think conquest needs to become a server instead of siege, no one likes siege. It only recently got a following again... because of the conquest maps. Make it all conquest all the time. The terrain and buildings make archery and cav difficult to play, but not impossible.

Offline AntiBlitz

• Duke
  • Renown: 636
  • Infamy: 187
  • cRPG Player
  • American Scum
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2014, 10:54:00 pm »
+1
Eh... what?
Because cavalry totally needs a buff like that, right?  :)

everyone uses it, it is in now way a direct buff to cavalry, get that bullshit nonsense out of here, while were at it, remove the spinning xbow men, also fucking stupid. 

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2014, 11:25:37 pm »
+2
Needing to 360 spin to see the ranged, cav, and gankers around seems pretty bad.

Offline Protemus

• Earl
  • Renown: 346
  • Infamy: 270
  • cRPG Player
  • EZ
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan EZ kills
  • Game nicks: niluK_the_Annoying aka EZ
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2014, 12:28:17 am »
I say this thread needs to be placed to Chamber of Tears because all I see is crying, mostly from Thomek.

Man up and adopt to new playstyle, range is superior, melee inferior, now grow some balls and stop whining.
Quote from: Melee Gaming
Protemus, You have received a warning for non-relevant posts in ban section also for personal attacks with disgusting insults on the forums. Chill out and enjoy the game. Regards, cRPG Team

Offline Lichen

• Count
  • Renown: 184
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2014, 04:22:06 am »
Needing to 360 spin to see the ranged, cav, and gankers around seems pretty bad.
lol, guess I've been playing all wrong as I don't use the 'freeview' key except for screenpics. It should be non bindable to mouse at least.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 04:27:04 am by Lichen »

Offline Vengt037

• Count
  • Renown: 259
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE47rDVh3c0
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vengt_The_Horsethief, Glorefindel, Vanderkaum
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2014, 06:42:55 am »
It's time to wake up and realize infantry is the bread and butter of cRPG.

You need to work on balance to facilitate infantry being able to have a good time on battle. Right now this is not the case.

Squeezed between the power of cav and ranged elements, it's getting exceedingly impossible to have a good fight. In EU people are flocking to siege, because they are sick of functioning like ranged and cav fodder.

I've been playing this mod for 4 years, and rarely has gameplay on battle been as lame as it is currently on EU1.

Both ranged and cav needs further nerfs. Perhaps we will loose some ranged players, but we will regain more melee players in return I'm certain.

Being shot and bumped to death every round is NOT good gameplay. Both the relative numbers and the power of those classes needs to be kept down!

Just make a decision: This is mainly a melee game. Other classes feed on melee, thus melee must have priority, and more power.

Cause right now it seems the goal is some kind of fairness, the result which is massive unfairness IN PRACTICE against melee.

I'd prefer an honest 2h/pole/shielder hero any day for the vulture-like gameplay which is ranged and cav. I think a lot of players agree.

Don't have screenshots, but I've played almost every gen of my main and alts as some form of ranged, and almost always reach level 31 w/ a KDR that is below 1. The 1 time I did a 2H build for an entire gen I was at like 2:1 by the time I got to 31. I guess this is just anectdotal evidence, but that's all I have to offer to this discussion is my personal experience. I have noticed that using the "free look" button frequently and just having good overall awareness and scanning the battleground prior to jumping into combat can save you from a lot of unnecessary cav deaths.
"Vengt, you are like my favorite player in CRPG."
- BlackWhite

Offline MURDERTRON

• King
  • Renown: 1337
  • Infamy: 428
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TRUMP / WEST 2020
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2014, 06:56:40 am »
Don't have screenshots, but I've played almost every gen of my main and alts as some form of ranged, and almost always reach level 31 w/ a KDR that is below 1. The 1 time I did a 2H build for an entire gen I was at like 2:1 by the time I got to 31. I guess this is just anectdotal evidence, but that's all I have to offer to this discussion is my personal experience. I have noticed that using the "free look" button frequently and just having good overall awareness and scanning the battleground prior to jumping into combat can save you from a lot of unnecessary cav deaths.

The OP is saying that ranged are particularly powerful now, which actually seems to be pretty true.  You're saying in the past, you were able to get a good KD as melee, when ranged was less powerful.  So, you're not really helping to dispel his argument.
▀█▀▒█▀█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒█▒█▀█▒▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█
▒█▒▒█▄█▒█▒█▒██▒██▒█▄█▒▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒█
▒█▒▒█▀▄▒█▄█▒█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒▄

Offline Rico

• King
  • Renown: 1021
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rico, Mila
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2014, 07:50:54 am »
+1
Please remind me of the last major buff to ranged. I seem to overlook it among all the crossbow requirement increases, projectile's armor penetration reduction, quiver weight increases, slot usages, STR archer nerfs and stun removal.

But that's probably just my biased perspective based on nothing but glimmering salty tears.
Streaming cRPG, Supreme Commander and Age of Empires II on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/HeavenTV

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2014, 09:17:50 am »
+1
Please remind me of the last major buff to ranged. I seem to overlook it among all the crossbow requirement increases, projectile's armor penetration reduction, quiver weight increases, slot usages, STR archer nerfs and stun removal.

But that's probably just my biased perspective based on nothing but glimmering salty tears.
Melee gets harder over time as the game gets older. Ranged doesn't. Therefore - continuous nerfs. Seems legit.

Offline Inglorious

• Earl
  • Renown: 497
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • Courage is our shield
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Banana Republic / Chevaliers
  • Game nicks: IngloriouslyBad / Affordable Cavalry
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2014, 11:10:41 am »
+5
Agi builds are a 2 way street. Super annoyingly quick movement and attacks, can still wear plate, and are able to do great damage still. On the other hand, you get shot by an archer or trampled once or twice and you're dead. But, IMO it's a fair trade off. You want to out spam out run and out footwork people. Awesome! That's cRPG's intent to let you do just that! But who is there to stop you? Archers, Cavalry, and other forms of infantry.

On that note: Strength builds are going to be making a come back. I can feel it. Not your 21/18 builds, but 30/9, or 36/3 builds. It's enough PS to kill agi spammers in 1 hit, and you can take about 7-9 swings from one. And let's not forget to mention taking 12 arrows, or 2 couched lances, being able to still fight with a sliver of HP. Those guys are the real infantry. Slow moving, hard hitting. Just an old fashioned raw power build.

Offline Okkam

• Baron
  • Renown: 94
  • Infamy: 49
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2014, 12:39:51 pm »
* In the past nerfs have kept ranged down to a minimum. Nowadays they often top the scoreboard. If those classes stay competitive, it is detrimental for gameplay, because infantry are squeezed between ranged AND cav. Combos making them even more powerful. (Like getting bumped, then shot)

It is a complete misconception that ranged (or cav for that matter) should be competitive in the first place.

I still remember many melee heroes from 2010. Pity that 99% of them loose a motivation to play this mod with all this constant rebalance mentality.

It is kindergarten for melee already. What kind of boon you propose to give them now Thomek?   

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2014, 01:08:42 pm »
+1

Xbows have never been adequately balanced. They are always token gestures to try to reduce the QQ. They have no build requirements at all beyond optional WPF and 1 handers got over buffed, including 0 slot weapons. They are too easy to use effectively. You can have protection from any counters (shield) a good 1 hander and great ranged weapons without really sacrificing much especially at high level

As the game goes on people get higher level, which means you can make more and more OP ranged builds, either pure or hybrid. High level ranged > high level pure melee by many factors. The game isn't balanced with high level builds in mind because the balancers can't even test those builds

Now we even have HA/HX's which need to be countered by other ranged. Rather than people going ranged just to kill defenceless melee and other foot ranged they need to go ranged to shoot mounted ranged as well. There isn't much incentive to not play a ranged class and it makes cRPG a dull game to play atm. My interest in this game just goes lower and lower
If you have ranged troubles use this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline zDevilBox

• Knight
  • Renown: 27
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: zDevilBox
  • IRC nick: zDevilBox
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2014, 03:35:09 pm »
Get back EU_crpg_Melee with 30 slots :!:
The winner of the Official cRPG 5v5 EU Tournament I

Offline NJ_Legion_Icedtea

• Count
  • Renown: 259
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norsemen
  • Game nicks: Norse_Icedtea
  • IRC nick: Icedtea
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2014, 04:06:10 pm »
+2
Something I would love to see implemented (and I'm sure its been mentioned before) is the removal of crosshairs.

No I am not raging about ranged, but I just think it would add a nice element to the game, and I wouldn't even care if an archer managed to HS me then.

Offline Rico

• King
  • Renown: 1021
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rico, Mila
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2014, 06:07:50 pm »
+1
Many games have this, and there are cross hair overlays to download for free. It's merely another advantage of cheating/exploiting players over others. Jeez, I have even seen people with marker on their screen center to represent a cross hair.
Streaming cRPG, Supreme Commander and Age of Empires II on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/HeavenTV