Author Topic: [Video] Melee: Battlegrounds - First Glimpse  (Read 5346 times)

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
Re: [Video] Melee: Battlegrounds - First Glimpse
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2014, 10:48:03 pm »
+2
interesting stuff with the physics.  Does this mean you'll be able to poke corpses with your weapons and move them around? Make walls/mounds of dead people?

Offline Bittersteel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 919
  • Infamy: 199
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Créme
  • Game nicks: Tybalt_von_Krems, Lennart_Bladh
  • IRC nick: Bittersteel
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2014, 12:24:18 am »
Woah, easy there Dracula.

Offline lombardsoup

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 222
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2014, 01:05:32 am »
You know what will help development?  Krems devs.

Offline kwhy

• Earl
  • Renown: 302
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • trash
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ted_the_garbage_man, missANGY, missBENDaKNEE, missAGAIN, Moove, Fallback, LLpewJ, Lets_ride_bikes
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2014, 01:22:32 am »
I'm kind of curious how having a *true* physics engine might change the play style in attacking/defending in directional combat games or how far stuff will get implemented in M:BG.

So right now in warband you have 4 attack directions and 4 defend directions along with the ability to block/chamber attacks with your own attack.  Also you have the ability in Warband to block side attacks from either direction (not sure with every weapon) by moving your character's stance.  For example I can hold block left and turn right into a swing and block from the opposite direction.

Now what might be interesting (dunno how this would play out) but what if holds (before releasing) might block shots if it hits the swing line?   So let us say skippy_the_knight was swinging a a right attack toward you while you were holding a 2H stab, but during his swing you moved the stab direction toward the ground and connected the weapon.  Or what if stab held at someones head or touching their body actually connects before the release rather than going thru the body.  You can basically keep someone at a distance with a longer weapon if something like this was implemented.

i'm curious how this might play out or if it won't really even be implemented to this degree...

edit: uranaus

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tanken

• King
  • Renown: 1463
  • Infamy: 395
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Tanken
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2014, 01:32:07 am »
Sorry but those are non refundable, read the ToS

Rest assured, he'll be put to work

You got it all wrong. He probably means "Can I invest right now?". Because it appears that he is not an investor at this time.

Both wrong. I was refunded my investment a while back because I was seeing no progress with the Mod or the Development of the game. Now I guess I feel kinda silly about it, and was asking if I could re-purchase (but I'm sure I won't be able to).
Below is a Collection of Finalists in my Design my Avatar contest -- They all did Awesome!
Thanks to all of those who contributed.

Offline lombardsoup

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 222
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2014, 01:40:42 am »
Both wrong. I was refunded my investment a while back because I was seeing no progress with the Mod or the Development of the game. Now I guess I feel kinda silly about it, and was asking if I could re-purchase (but I'm sure I won't be able to).

Its probably safer to just wait until distribution, assuming it ever gets there

And that earlier comment was just a (very) half assed attempt to joke around on my part

Offline MURDERTRON

• King
  • Renown: 1337
  • Infamy: 428
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TRUMP / WEST 2020
« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2014, 03:34:23 am »
+2
Invest in my kickstarter.  I'm making an egg salad.  If I get enough backers, it will be dolphin eggs.
▀█▀▒█▀█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒█▒█▀█▒▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█
▒█▒▒█▄█▒█▒█▒██▒██▒█▄█▒▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒█
▒█▒▒█▀▄▒█▄█▒█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒▄

Offline Clockworkkiller

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 872
  • Infamy: 573
  • cRPG Player
  • I shit dopamine
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Clockworkkiller
« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2014, 04:38:53 am »
Invest in my kickstarter.  I'm making an egg salad.  If I get enough backers, it will be dolphin eggs.

i will, but what will i get if i donate over $100
You are a horrible human being clockwork.

If i ever get muted on forums, contact me on crpg.net

Offline ETOR_Holokron

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • Have No Fear Holokron is Here
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Black Company
  • Game nicks: Holokron_BlackCompany
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2014, 07:28:08 am »
This Game has my blessing, may it blossom into a shield maiden donkey!!!!!!

Offline RipperX

• It is him
  • Earl
  • Renown: 457
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • Team Diaperberry
    • View Profile
    • The Official YouTube Channel of Ripper X
« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2014, 09:13:15 am »
+2
I just hope this game keeps the whole stripped down, arcade style I've grown to love.

Also that everyone comes too. I want to grow old with this community and bully your children someday.

Whats exciting about M:BG is the fact that even in its infant stages ie. Early Alpha, the gameplay is fluid and fun and OMFG skill based! Most alfas are barely even playable let alone fun to begin with, it takes time to mold and polish. I think there is a lot of potential here, and chadz and the lads have a pretty good track record with cRPG, it was only a matter of time before they would eventually focus on a new project. I for one am shitting with excitement!

With regards to people saying anything about TW sueing, writing your own engine from scratch isn't an easy feat, and essentially building a game from the ground up is an undertaking, but those willing to do that are the ones who end up making great games. I believe Mount & Blade originally was started by 2 people? Look what DOOM did for the FPS, look what UO did for the MMO. Every good game in existence has inspired someone to write code at one point or another and grow a new project based on ideas and inspiration from previous projects; that's called being an artist, whether you paint, write, sing, code, play instruments everyone gets inspiration and ideas.

Just my 2 cents.

/Tits
RipX

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2014, 10:36:50 am »
I'm kind of curious how having a *true* physics engine might change the play style in attacking/defending in directional combat games or how far stuff will get implemented in M:BG.

So right now in warband you have 4 attack directions and 4 defend directions along with the ability to block/chamber attacks with your own attack.  Also you have the ability in Warband to block side attacks from either direction (not sure with every weapon) by moving your character's stance.  For example I can hold block left and turn right into a swing and block from the opposite direction.

Now what might be interesting (dunno how this would play out) but what if holds (before releasing) might block shots if it hits the swing line?   So let us say skippy_the_knight was swinging a a right attack toward you while you were holding a 2H stab, but during his swing you moved the stab direction toward the ground and connected the weapon.  Or what if stab held at someones head or touching their body actually connects before the release rather than going thru the body.  You can basically keep someone at a distance with a longer weapon if something like this was implemented.

i'm curious how this might play out or if it won't really even be implemented to this degree...

edit: uranaus
Well, I think I am save when I say that Melee has 8 attack and block directions right now. Not sure if that is something that's still up to change tho...
And well timed attacks can/do work as a block.
About the "touching" thing, dunno really. We haven't been able to play with long polearms yet and those would be most suitable for it. Good example would be the "walk through pike" that warband has.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Clockworkkiller

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 872
  • Infamy: 573
  • cRPG Player
  • I shit dopamine
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Clockworkkiller
« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2014, 12:10:51 pm »
So if someone stabs, but points their stab upward to the face, you won't be able to block it with a downblock? You'd have to use a up block?
You are a horrible human being clockwork.

If i ever get muted on forums, contact me on crpg.net

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2014, 09:12:38 pm »
So if someone stabs, but points their stab upward to the face, you won't be able to block it with a downblock? You'd have to use a up block?

You cant block thurst attacks, you parry them...hopefully that will be a function of this game

Offline Zerkain

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2014, 09:47:36 pm »
 Terrain where templars are fighting is travertine?

Offline kwhy

• Earl
  • Renown: 302
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • trash
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ted_the_garbage_man, missANGY, missBENDaKNEE, missAGAIN, Moove, Fallback, LLpewJ, Lets_ride_bikes
« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2014, 11:44:47 pm »
Well, I think I am save when I say that Melee has 8 attack and block directions right now. Not sure if that is something that's still up to change tho...
And well timed attacks can/do work as a block.
About the "touching" thing, dunno really. We haven't been able to play with long polearms yet and those would be most suitable for it. Good example would be the "walk through pike" that warband has.

8 total or 8 of each?  If so how does that work.  Are you saying there is some sort of left/up, rightup, leftdown, and rightdown swings and blocks (corners?)

my old ass won't be able to handle that much stuff going on I tink...gonna need autoblock 2.0 enhanced version