Author Topic: The EU (and all things related)  (Read 563 times)

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
The EU (and all things related)
« on: June 05, 2014, 08:42:08 pm »
so it seems EU talk spills out over many threads so lets concentrate it.

http://news.sky.com/story/1276061/obama-the-eu-wont-work-without-uk

the obama bit doesn't really matter but something that has been in the papers alot here is who becomes the next president of the European Commission.

Mr Juncker was the chosen candidate for the post by the centre-right bloc that won most seats in the elections.

Mrs Merkel warned Germany's politicians on Wednesday that it would be "unacceptable" to ignore British hostility to the appointment of Mr Juncker but repeated her support for him.

Mr Cameron's reservations are shared by Sweden, Hungary and Italy.

Mr Juncker is fully expecting to get Europe's most prestigious job and yesterday tweeted: "I am more confident than ever that I will be the next European Commission President."

So what do you think of Juncker? Is a man who wants a Federal States of Europe and who is all for secret meetings and lying to the general population? His impending appointment seems to have split EU leaders after a large surge in eurosceptic votes. is appointing someone so federalist wise at this time? what do you guys think.
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1541
  • Infamy: 2137
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
Re: The EU (and all things related)
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 11:48:39 pm »
+4

So what do you think of Juncker? Is a man who wants a Federal States of Europe

Yes.

and who is all for secret meetings and lying to the general population?

Nigel Farage eats babies.

His impending appointment seems to have split EU leaders after a large surge in eurosceptic votes. is appointing someone so federalist wise at this time? what do you guys think.

It is wise. The europhobic vote is founded on nothing except ignorance and romanticism, pretty much like antisemitism in the 30s, if you pardon that Godwin. A rational move would be an adequate response to a rational query. However, europhobia is not rational at all. Dividing the EU will only worsen the economic situation of all member states. That situation is the only real reason why europhobia exists. Hence choosing a candidate that would not be pro-European (good luck finding one in the first place) would actually reinforce europhobia more than anything. A huge majority of the voters still preferred pro-European parties, even with the terrible turnout that most traditional parties achieve in EU elections, and even with the fact that national news channels usually make an extremely negatively biased report of EU-related news, especially in the UK.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 12:26:33 am »
If Hungary agrees with something, it's bad, go against it.
Especially because it's not a democracy but Fideszcracy, fucking dictatorship.

(click to show/hide)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 06:46:12 am »
+2
Oh no, the american trojan horse and vassal trying to leave the EU, poor US won't have any useful idiots to fuck it up from the inside anymore. Fucking good, UK has only been in the EU with the sole purpose of sabotaging it from the very start. Reap all the economic benefits of the union without taking on any of the burdens, despite all the whining and crying about how noble UK pays disproportionally, which of course is complete bullshit. How do the scotts feel about the EU, incidentally? I'm guessing they like it, just because of the loathing the english have for it.

Offline FleetFox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 711
  • Infamy: 72
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fox Shox Rox
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Norsemen
  • Game nicks: Norse_Torr and FleetFox
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 09:26:31 am »
+1
Oh no, the american trojan horse and vassal trying to leave the EU, poor US won't have any useful idiots to fuck it up from the inside anymore. Fucking good, UK has only been in the EU with the sole purpose of sabotaging it from the very start. Reap all the economic benefits of the union without taking on any of the burdens, despite all the whining and crying about how noble UK pays disproportionally, which of course is complete bullshit. How do the scotts feel about the EU, incidentally? I'm guessing they like it, just because of the loathing the english have for it.

Scots have no problem with the EU and if they did go independent they would want to join the EU for sure because for all its negatives the EU is actually a great thing and it needs to stay together.
"Its better to die on your feet than to live on your knees."
― Emiliano Zapata

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 09:42:13 am »
Calling the UK part of the EU is exaggerating their role.
The list of special treatments across the board for the UK is a freaking joke.
If you ask me, the UK leaving the EU (or the parts their in at least) will hurt the UK way more than EU. Let them go and see for themselves how great they'll do without it.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 09:52:57 am »
UK risks dismemberment of their own nation, if Fleetfox's opinion is accurate. Leaving the EU might galvanize Scotland enough to really go full out for independence so they can apply for EU membership on their own.

Offline Herezy92

• Earl
  • Renown: 414
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Frog
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Herezy
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 04:36:14 pm »
One thing :
If a country applies to become member of EU, the current members can put a VETO, and refuse his demande.

(@Molly i agree, UK has a special treatment and i don't consider them as real EU member)

So, if UK stays in EU but Scotland declare his independance, then scotland would never be able to join EU till "UK" accepts it. (SO scotland would be a bit fuck :) )
(same for barcelonna independance with spain)

BUT, if UK vote to leave EU, and then, Scotland become independant, then scotland will for sure join EU, (i don't think any other member-country will put a VETO)
In my opnion this VETO thing from EU-members is quite good, because i really hate the Independantist claimer.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1593
  • Infamy: 1250
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 10:23:05 pm »
Even if i don't know the topic, i'm sad to not see anymore the "Yougoslavia" :(

It was replaced by European Union (minus communism). Pretty much same concept of federal states posing as one superstate.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 10:55:00 pm »
+1

Someone sounds butthurt, was your ancestor at Agincourt?.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2014, 12:24:50 am »
Have you been living in a hole for the last 20 years?

Offline Miley

• Duke
  • Renown: 604
  • Infamy: 327
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2014, 12:34:37 am »
I will have the honor of posting after cmp