Author Topic: I made it. [New Build inside]  (Read 4895 times)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: I made it.
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2014, 01:52:00 pm »
I can't believe most people here don't consider 4 shield skill as the only useful option that makes sense.

+2 agi for running speed, 4 riding for horse whistling, +2 str for extra HP? Seriously?..

Shields suck. That's why. Admittedly, shields suck less than two HP, horse whistling or negligible bonus speed.

Offline //saxon

• King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • I'm just to dam goood 😎
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Saxon
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2014, 02:11:48 pm »
i can't take throwing because no WPF, riding won't be much use with 4, shield i don't know, Tor had shield skill and he didn't like it, luckily he got that free respec when they changed WPF and agi.

since i got to 35 im just going to hope for a free respec from either saving up for one or they give us one lol. my build was finished at 34 because like i said, i never thought 35, so ive not missed out on anything really, respec is in order though.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • Renown: 965
  • Infamy: 309
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BashiBazouks
  • Game nicks: HarunYahya,HarunShootya,Inan
  • IRC nick: HarunYahya
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2014, 02:15:34 pm »
My experience:
Archers priority list
1) Archer
2) Shielder
3) Peasants
4) Cavalry
5) 2h and polearms without shield

Carrying a shield marks you as a threat in Archer's eye so they focus fire on you even if you don't have intention to raise your shield and hunt archers.
Never, carry a shield if you are not a 1h or hoplite. NEVER.

Get 4 PT instead, you'll deal 0 damage but It feels good to throw shit at people  :lol:
Actually don't... Fuck it last time I made a ranged/melee hybrid I was surprised as fuck by the amount of enemy ranged focus...

Congratulations btw :)

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2014, 02:17:12 pm »
I can't count how many times a shield picked up on battlefield saved my life.

Nothing sucks as much as dying in the end of round to an archer in 1 vs 1, after you've slaughtered half of enemy team, just because you couldn't use that shield lying nearby to cover yourself.

You can use shield to go up the stairs on siege, to stand in a shieldwall on strat, to pick up in battle when enemy ranged camps, plenty of cases when you might need a shield.

Offline tizzango

• Earl
  • Renown: 406
  • Infamy: 83
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2014, 02:20:25 pm »
+3
I skipped to 1:14, tried to read the post but ended up taking ecstasy and fist-pumping like a spartan warrior.

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2014, 03:02:00 pm »
i can't take throwing because no WPF, riding won't be much use with 4, shield i don't know, Tor had shield skill and he didn't like it, luckily he got that free respec when they changed WPF and agi.

since i got to 35 im just going to hope for a free respec from either saving up for one or they give us one lol. my build was finished at 34 because like i said, i never thought 35, so ive not missed out on anything really, respec is in order though.

personally i wouldnt give a damn about the throwing wpf, the 3/6 HTA would be fire-and-forget, just for those horses and running archers :D yeah, i guess 4 shield would be the best choice atm. but please USE them points! :p its alot of points you have right there

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2014, 03:13:26 pm »
+1
Shields suck. That's why. Admittedly, shields suck less than two HP, horse whistling or negligible bonus speed.

Shields are awesome when paired with a 1 hander, especially with recentish weight reductions. The reduced risk in a group allows for some tactics that will get you killed without the shield

Be a pest by turtling. You can split enemy groups or get behind them a bit so they focus you and move off your weaker team mates.
Draw people towards team mates when they tunnel vision on the shield
Block for teammates (ranged or melee) or just stand in the melee waiting for an opportunity without much risk
Probably have the best choice of nudges in the game.
Towards the end of the round you typically have lower health and will die to ranged without a shield. You can usually find one lying around and 4 skill points should allow you to pick up most shields
I don't do it myself, but a light shield with some armour will reduce the damage you take in the back when you put it there

Doing that changes your role though, and as a 2 hander that stuff isn't really your role in the game. Clutching at the end might be easier though with the shield. Or 8PS with low WPF might still be alright if you fancy trying another role
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2014, 03:49:43 pm »
especially with recentish weight reductions.

Someone knowing what they are talking about would never ever say that.

I recognize that the ability to pick up shields lying on the ground at round end when you really need one is better than nothing. However, actually spawning with one is similar to carrying a "Attack me I'm slow" sign. Furthermore, the instances where a shield will actually help you win a round are few and far between. A shield will help you somewhat reliably against one ranged player at a time, at the cost of half your movement speed (and more if we count the weight and the inability to sprint). Now try to remember the last time you lost a round in 1v1 against a ranged player. That's quite rare isn't it ? Not that in that situation as a 2h or pole you usually win. Obviously you will almost always lose in such a situation. My point is that a 1v1 inf vs ranged is rare, hence the a priori value of a shield is very low, regardless of whether it helps you or not in that specific situation (which isn't guaranteed, far from it). Of course you can also consider spawning as hoplite or 1h + shield, but for your build that means losing 130 wpf and using worse weapons, which is better value than anything a shield can do.

Getting shield skill is a gimmick, really. You can have gimmicky fun with PT or riding as well. Even with PD. Make no mistake, I have 4 shield skill myself that I use exactly like I described. I almost always spawn without shield and occasionally grab one on the floor. The only reason I have those points is because I had 4 points spare, and never plan on reaching 34 (doesn't that sound familiar ?).

Offline Micah

• Duke
  • Renown: 539
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Micah_Senpai_von_Krems Glance_the_Useless_von_Krems Arielle_the_little_Mermaid
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2014, 04:00:30 pm »
With no respec, shield is propably the way to go ;)

gratz on 35 old noerdman ;P

hf =)
I am writing long winded essays in shitty english.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2014, 04:03:14 pm »
5 into Riding.  :twisted:
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Eddy

• Count
  • Renown: 209
  • Infamy: 47
    • View Profile
  • Faction: OotQ
  • Game nicks: Eddy
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2014, 04:06:41 pm »
+1

Replace "up" with "double xp"   ;)

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2014, 04:07:25 pm »
5 into Riding.  :twisted:
So is that an official statement that Nordmen members can cheat and use 5 skillpoints when they actually have 4?  :evil:

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2014, 04:12:28 pm »
So is that an official statement that Nordmen members can do cheat and use 5 skillpoints when they actually have 4?  :evil:
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2014, 04:41:24 pm »
Now when will you nerf high level Tydeus? Its way more OP than looms

It makes people stop retiring because the difference between the average player and fresh retiree is a lot higher than before.
Everyone has looms so why retire? Especially with clan armouries.
It makes it so you and San can't balance properly as you can't test lvl 35 builds
It allows for OP ranged with melee
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline darmaster

• King
  • Renown: 1398
  • Infamy: 297
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguards
  • Game nicks: Retsamrad
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2014, 04:56:23 pm »
i wanted to plus the post but the music almost made me start a new topic in ban section, luckily i stopped.

try this one

or this one