Author Topic: Footwork and swing speed  (Read 876 times)

Offline Panos_

• იოსებ ბესარიონის ძე სტალინი
  • King
  • Renown: 2006
  • Infamy: 885
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • Come and get couched, Turk!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vyzantion (Palaiologos Era)
  • Game nicks: Panos_the_TurkSlayer
  • IRC nick: THE_PANOS
Footwork and swing speed
« on: March 06, 2014, 11:28:30 pm »
Can someone explain me how does footwork work with the speed of my swings?

I want to know how I can increase the speed of my swings, by using footwork.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Footwork and swing speed
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 11:30:44 pm »
+3
Turn and move your character in a way that makes your attack connect with the enemy as early as possible without glancing. Voila, you can now completely ignore speed rating whatsoever.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 11:37:58 pm »
The graph is no where near the same now (ignore arm extension), but look at the red part for stabs

(click to show/hide)

You want to deal enough damage to stun the guy through his armour as early as possible. Use PS, speed bonus, weapon damage, etc. to lift the damage of the rising part of the graph enough to deal good damage. Legs and head typically have worse armour values, allowing you to hit earlier, too. Just avoid the timing where you're guaranteed 0 damage.

Hold bonus helps even more.

Side-swings use the angle of your swing with your enemy position, but it's overall the same principle.

Offline Senni__Ti

• Earl
  • Renown: 472
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Senni_Ti
  • IRC nick: Senni
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 11:40:32 pm »
If you swing to the right, step to the right, vice versa.

The hard bit is timing it to your opponents movements, waiting for them to step one way, you step and swing the otherway.

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 12:19:45 am »
+2
If you swing to the right, step to the right, vice versa.

The hard bit is timing it to your opponents movements, waiting for them to step one way, you step and swing the otherway.
Actually, when I tested the speed bonus in SP (I guess it works the same way in c-rpg?), it appeared to me that:

1) You get more speed bonus by simply moving straight towards your target than moving to the side, even with a side swing.
2) You get even more speed bonus if you move forward but turn to the side as it shown in the pic. Note that you don't sidestep with A or D (you would lose speed that way), but just turn your mouse in your swings while keep pressing W.

So the third case is the best if we talk about damage alone, IMO.

PS: all this is implying the enemy stands right above the "character", was to lazy to draw that.

Offline Senni__Ti

• Earl
  • Renown: 472
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Senni_Ti
  • IRC nick: Senni
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 01:17:56 am »
I was just talking about landing the hit first :p, in a hilt-slash esque maneuver.

But yeah, you're right, greater speed bonus from moving towards your opponent.

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 09:52:30 am »
... Right. For some reason I thought the topic was about the max damage using footwork.  :oops:

Offline Kung Fu Jesus

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 08:20:42 pm »
This is sort of tangentially related but do most people hold down the left mouse button even when blocking? Does that initiate a swing quicker when you attack?

"My belt holds up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up the belt. What the fuck’'s really going on down there? Who is the real hero?" - Mitch

Offline Rico

• King
  • Renown: 1021
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rico, Mila
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 06:15:36 pm »
Actually, when I tested the speed bonus in SP (I guess it works the same way in c-rpg?), it appeared to me that:

1) You get more speed bonus by simply moving straight towards your target than moving to the side, even with a side swing.
2) You get even more speed bonus if you move forward but turn to the side as it shown in the pic. Note that you don't sidestep with A or D (you would lose speed that way), but just turn your mouse in your swings while keep pressing W.

So the third case is the best if we talk about damage alone, IMO.

PS: all this is implying the enemy stands right above the "character", was to lazy to draw that.

Sankyu Macropus! Your Handdrawn Paint InfotainmentTM is enjoyable and insightful even for ranged players like me :mrgreen:

This is sort of tangentially related but do most people hold down the left mouse button even when blocking? Does that initiate a swing quicker when you attack?
It makes feinting more comfortable, and if I manage to chamber someone, I do it this way; by blocking fast and hitting back in the same direction so that the system does not recognize the block as a block, but makes an insta-chamber out of this. It's the safe way of chambering... Either you chamber successfully, or you block first and attack after that. Works when you release the right mouse button while holding the left.

I hope that made some sense :?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 06:20:22 pm by Panuru »
Streaming cRPG, Supreme Commander and Age of Empires II on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/HeavenTV