Author Topic: New Patch, New Gameplay Style. What do you think? (not a whine thread)  (Read 1118 times)

Offline TheMark

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: TheMark|TheMarksman
Here's how I changed my game play style so I can continue having fun with the new patch. (Which I really like btw) Let me know what you think of it or if you have figured out something similar/better.

I have 3 sets of equipment: light, medium and heavy (this includes weapons and armor)

* I use light whenever and is set as my default equipment. Use it to farm gold, or whenever I have x1 multiplier.
    * I use medium only when I have at least a x2 or x3 multiplier
    * I use heavy only when I have at least a x3 or x4 multiplier

I find that this style minimizes the gold lost and still allows me to play well with a range of different armor sets. I actually gained a lot more gold than I usually would. I am not sure if this is how chadz intended us to play but I really enjoy it. 

What's your style?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 05:15:15 am by TheMark »

Offline 1slander

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • cRPG Player
  • Timing that sidestep is key to the 1h battle axe
    • View Profile
  • Faction: NORD
  • Game nicks: Araios, Pallas, Hammer. Formerly DRAC & Duke_of_Hazard
Re: New Patch, New Gameplay Style. What do you think? (not a whine thread)
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 04:44:15 am »
Thanks for the info.  It's great to see something positive being said about the new cRPG.  I haven't tried it yet but any and all info related is much appreciated.  I love this community cause there are basically no trolls. 

Any info on WPF distribution and the new standards set?  Is it still viable to go pure or is it a waste?
Float like a butterfly sting like an axe

Offline Tungsten

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 04:57:37 am »
Equip Great Maul, Transitional, Hourglass
???
Gain 20k gold a day.

But seriously. With 5% repair, keep your good shit on and try to win people unless you get unlucky on damage rolls like I did and take 9 500gold repairs in a row on your gloves.
Tungsten_ATS

Offline PhantomZero

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
  • I'm going to need you playing at 6AM on Saturday..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BIRD CLAN
  • Game nicks: POSTMASTER_PHANTOM0_OF_BIRD
  • IRC nick: PhantomZero
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 05:02:41 am »
Here's how I changed my game play style so I can continue earning gold with the new patch. (Which I really like btw) Let me know what you think of it or if you have figured out something similar/better.

I have 3 sets of equipment: light, medium and heavy (this includes weapons and armor)

* I use light whenever and is set as my default equipment. Use it to farm gold, or whenever I have x1 multiplier.
    * I use medium only when I have at least a x2 or x3 multiplier
    * I use heavy only when I have at least a x3 or x4 multiplier

I find that this style minimizes the gold lost and still allows me to play well with a range of different armor sets. I am not sure if this is how chadz intended us to play but I really enjoy it.

I do something similar, I used to ride around on my heavy charger running over peasants with ease. But recently I rolled a few alts to see if there might be something that could kill peasants with more efficiency.

But on my main I bought a cheaper sword, armor, and horse and basically returned to my old loadout that I spent about a month using that consisted of Rouncey, Studded Leather Armor, Blue Arena Shield, Heavy Lance, Long Great Lance, Nordic Sword.

Overall I feel the patch is an improvement and can't wait until the mod begins to tie in with Strategus even more.

AFK-Grinding is sort of a problem, but if one team afk-grinds and the other team gets to have a x5 multiplier bonus, I wouldn't mind fighting an all afk-team.

If you can't maintain using expensive armor through skill then why bother wasting all your time to join every round just to alt tab and then a day later blow it all in an afternoon of platearmor, I think people will quickly get bored of this.

Larger maps are more fun as there is more maneuvering and less whining about how spread out the battles are and how long they take now that xp/gold is given out regardless, players have to work together to avoid being slaughtered on these maps.

I still feel people want to dominate the scoreboard and forget their role to play in helping their team achieve victory for a higher multiplier. Archers can decimate light infantry and soften up medium targets, while crossbows focus on heavy cavalry and tin-cans. Throwers are probably the most effective in dealing with cavalry and infantry is just there to occupy meatspace and be run over by friendly horses.

Edit: Oh I almost forgot the best thing!

The best thing was the autobalance by banner. But this was sadly disabled due to a few clanmates and I stomping around the EU servers with Spirited Plated Chargers in massed cavalry charges for a few rounds until they wised up and purchased pikes.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 05:05:06 am by PhantomZero »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline TheMark

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: TheMark|TheMarksman
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 05:06:54 am »
Edit: Oh I almost forgot the best thing!

The best thing was the autobalance by banner. But this was sadly disabled due to a few clanmates and I stomping around the EU servers with Spirited Plated Chargers in massed cavalry charges for a few rounds until they wised up and purchased pikes.

I really liked that too! My friends and I had a lot of fun playing on the same side. It allowed for more coordination, even if it was just between a handful of us. I didn't realize it got removed. Is this true for the NA Servers?

Offline Lizard_man

• Marshall
  • Renown: 717
  • Infamy: 153
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Lizard_man, Jinmenju
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 05:12:58 am »
i'm playing pretty much the same as i always did, medium armour, cavalry, only now, even though i have plenty of money, i sometimes use light armour and a weaker horse, also, loving the patch, thumbs up from me...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Cannibal

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
  • QQH
    • View Profile
    • CannibowlCC
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 05:34:13 am »
Yeah brosef

I've been using the same sort of set up... originally on patch day, after I saw everyone talking about massive repair bills, I went fully naked and gained 8 levels and about 50k gold... was pretty ridiculous. I got lucky with winning teams and played siege a lot.

I agree that changing in and out of different sets helps keep the repair bills down and the xp/gold/fun flowing :D

This new patch is a lot of fun and the biggest bonus is the decreased grind so newer players can bridge the gap quicker.