Author Topic: Robert Namo - leeching and exploiting  (Read 6710 times)

Offline Kajia

• Earl
  • Renown: 481
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Kajia
  • IRC nick: Kajia_
Re: Robert Namo - leeching and exploiting
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2013, 03:14:50 pm »
+2
It really comes down to whether people can choose who they want to fight.

Some examples besides 'bro coding'
- leaving helpless peasants and afks alone
- avoiding confrontation with certain classes and players
- letting people duel (not the same as enforcing duels)
etc

It seems like some people think that the only proper way to play cRPG is to constantly be charging straight at the nearest enemy, but we don't all think that kind of play is fun. If you want to be a bloodthirsty berserker that's fine, but please don't try to force it on people who just want to chill and have a good time.

exactly.
what fun is a game where I can't play fair if I like to? (as in not ganking)
and what fun is a game when it's just about killing stuff and not also about having bros? (I would feel bad if I would always gank people I kinda like)
and what fun is a game when everyone is playing inside the rules? every little turmoil like this is a clear sign that the mod is still not dead ... imho.

rules are guidelines, and there to be broken sometimes.
rules are there to know what is OKAY, not to tell you what is fun and should be done.

Kajia's Workshop
(cRPG artwork showcase)

Offline Meow

• Awesome Consulting Detective
  • King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 150
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2013, 03:18:37 pm »
+5
In more than one case this behavior was punished as griefing (shielding your "bros" from your own team) and/or leeching in case there was no intention to help your team.

It's considered common sense that you are hurting your team by doing it and in most cases you are breaking multiple rules that are already in place.

Rule of thumb: If you are not helping your team to win the round you are doing something wrong.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1127
  • Infamy: 2962
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2013, 03:34:35 pm »
+2
Another win for USA. While I was still playing this mod, I've witnessed similar situation dozens of times and sometimes admins were involved. Of course, no one got banned for it. It's nice to see that some things change for the better.

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2013, 04:58:32 pm »
exactly.
what fun is a game where I can't play fair if I like to? (as in not ganking)
and what fun is a game when it's just about killing stuff and not also about having bros? (I would feel bad if I would always gank people I kinda like)
and what fun is a game when everyone is playing inside the rules? every little turmoil like this is a clear sign that the mod is still not dead ... imho.

rules are guidelines, and there to be broken sometimes.
rules are there to know what is OKAY, not to tell you what is fun and should be done.

i wonder how the olympics would turn out with this mindset :) no offence at all. but what you descripe is not "a game" but merely some kind of timewaste like watching a movie or some solitaire. a game have rules. if no rules, it wouldnt be a game. if you dont follow the rules, you aint playing the game. in crpg, the point is basicly to kill the enemy team, resulting in a win >> multiplier. cut to the chase: if you dont kill the enemy (for whatever reason) you fail. just imvho :)

its like playing say a game of chess and then lose on purpose cus opponent is a friend... come on bleh. you are actually shooting yourself and him in the foot; neither of you wont become better at chess. and at the end of the day, becomming better is the entire point isnt it?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 05:07:23 pm by Sniger »

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2013, 05:27:58 pm »
I don't get the people saying "it's just a game"  or "they're just having fun".

If someone's on the enemy team, they're on the enemy team.  I go out of my way to kill people on the enemy team I'm cool or friendly with.  bro-coding or actively blocking your teammates from attacking an enemy is ridiculous.  Play the game, and enjoy yourselves, but I don't understand why people would bro-code just because the other guy is in the same clan or teamspeak.

Of course you have the option to choose who you engage.  I don't go and attack the first person I see every time I'm on my horse.  I actively avoid certain people.  Bro-coding is a pretty obvious thing, if you're standing next to an enemy and you're both thumbing each others' asses, then you're bro-coding.  Even worse is when people pretend to fight (and just get in the way of teammates, or just circle around without even pretending to fight the enemy).  Both of these things are griefing, and it's obvious why they are punishable.  I wish admins would do more about it frankly.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Kajia

• Earl
  • Renown: 481
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Kajia
  • IRC nick: Kajia_
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2013, 07:53:28 pm »
+2
i wonder how the olympics would turn out with this mindset :) no offence at all. but what you descripe is not "a game" but merely some kind of timewaste like watching a movie or some solitaire. a game have rules. if no rules, it wouldnt be a game. if you dont follow the rules, you aint playing the game. in crpg, the point is basicly to kill the enemy team, resulting in a win >> multiplier. cut to the chase: if you dont kill the enemy (for whatever reason) you fail. just imvho :)

its like playing say a game of chess and then lose on purpose cus opponent is a friend... come on bleh. you are actually shooting yourself and him in the foot; neither of you wont become better at chess. and at the end of the day, becomming better is the entire point isnt it?

I would like to agree to the general thought, but:
the rules off chess are what makes the world of the game. so the chessboard and it's figures roles and moving rules are the equivalent of the cRPG world, weapons, avatars, animations and stuff, NOT the admin rules.
whether or not you decide to warn the opponent of one of his fatal moves in chess, or decide to not gank a buddy you know wouldn't exactly like that, is a matter of fair play, and not the games rule, in my book.
f.i., when I play against less experienced players, I tend to level out some differences (like putting away my shield against another 1handed user), because otherwise it's just no challenge to me. gaming, and playful behavior in general, has a lot to do with handicap to make it equal. I am not saying that this is the law, but it's an observation you can make, anywhere. even in the animal kingdom.

winning and "getting better" is not everything, for me at least. I want to have fun too, and I'm not the only one. actually, it's making me feel alive, more than being on the top of some list.

I should have added to the above post:
I am not one to defend a so-called "bro", but I would think twice about attacking him; that is unless he is attacking me, or my team needs the help (given he is one of the last of his team).
on the one hand it's really more complicated than what the "rules" say, because they just can't make the kid in us go away; and on the other hand, for me personally, it's really simple: I want to have fun, and I can empathize with other players too.

btw., have you seen PEPEs videos of him and his kids? there you go: handicap, to have mutual fun. there is no getting better for PEPE, not even winning, but something way more important. to be a little cheesy here :P
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 08:00:29 pm by Kajia »

Kajia's Workshop
(cRPG artwork showcase)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 408
  • Infamy: 1862
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2013, 09:32:24 pm »
+3
btw., have you seen PEPEs videos of him and his kids? there you go: handicap, to have mutual fun. there is no getting better for PEPE, not even winning, but something way more important. to be a little cheesy here

That has nothing to do with the game, it's having fun on the forums. Pepe is acting a bit strange in game (let's call it roleplaying) but he sticks to the rules.

I think that people tend to fool around in cRPG because they are used to expressing such behavior while playing MMORPGs. Those type of games are usually very boring, which have no defined goal (except leveling aka grinding) and after some time people have to fool around to relax a bit (grind can be very tiresome). cRPG is basically competitive online action game like CS, CoD, Battlefield. Persistent stats don't change the nature of the game. If you find the game boring it's better to go offline, than to ruin fun for those who want to play the game the way it is intended to be played.

Of course, things change when majority wants to relax and fool around. Even then I prefer to play the game properly, accepting rules of the pack isn't my thing.

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2013, 10:34:32 pm »
+2
If you find the game boring it's better to go offline, than to ruin fun for those who want to play the game the way it is intended to be played.

word

Offline Gristle

• Duke
  • Renown: 560
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BRD
  • Game nicks: Gristle_BRD
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2013, 12:47:18 am »
+2
An enemy runs up to me while I'm reloading my crossbow. I know this person has low/zero power strike. His weapon is just bouncing off of me and not even interrupting my reload. Do I HAVE to kill this harmless guy or risk being banned? I like these guys until they realize they can kick me.

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2013, 01:39:56 am »
+3
a game have rules. if no rules, it wouldnt be a game.

True, but there are two types of games, really, as James Carse described em. Those which end, and those which don't. Those with boundaries, and those which only have horizons. Those played to play, and those played to win. Those with static rules, and those with malleable ones. Finite and Infinite. For me, the latter is more fun to play, and fun/engagement is seen as what ought be the primary motive in playing any game in my life (up to and including the entire scope of my existence).
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Vieuxcrotter

• Knight
  • Renown: 47
  • Infamy: 118
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2013, 05:16:07 am »
+1
Another win for USA. While I was still playing this mod, I've witnessed similar situation dozens of times and sometimes admins were involved. Of course, no one got banned for it. It's nice to see that some things change for the better.

^^ this , witnessed the same behavior from an admin.

Offline Zaren

• Count
  • Renown: 162
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Zaren_Astralis
  • IRC nick: Zaren
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2013, 05:21:04 am »
+1
The only reason people bro-code is because the admins let them. Most of the NA population would intentionally teamkill on occasion if the admins did nothing about it. Most of the NA population would rejoin the server and spawn a second life if the admins didn't care. Most of the NA population would do any number of bogus strat exploits if the admins let them.

true but it is MUCH MUCH harder to call someone on "bro coding" than tking/2nd spawning UNLESS its blatantly obvious

Offline Voso

• Earl
  • Renown: 330
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The So-so.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Huey's Cavalieres
« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2013, 07:22:16 am »
+2
I just want to point out that the two rules you referred to saying bro-coding is against the rules is really just abusing the way they are worded as that is not at all what they mean.

violation #1 "NOT OK: Bypassing the autobalance"

Refusing to kill your clanmates is bypassing autobalance. Autobalance picks the teams, not Robert Namo.

violation #2 "NOT OK: Running around without no weapon. Not contributing is leeching, naked runners don't contribute."

Ignoring the only enemy within 100m, who you're practically touching, and is completely defenseless while reloading the slowest weapon in the game? At least a naked runner would have some kind of value as a distraction.

For violation #1: Bypassing the autobalance refers to continually trying to swap teams so that effectively you aren't autobalanced.

For violation #2: True, not contributing is leeching but bro-coding doesn't necessarily mean you aren't contributing. If you kill half the enemy team but let your friend get a fair fight against your teammates and not attack him, does this mean you didn't contribute and are leeching? No, you killed half their team. I am sure Robert Namo got kills that round and was in fact contributing.

That said, feel free to continue to discuss altering the rules to make this sort of thing against them, I am not even going to begin getting into the whole gameplay needs to be serious to be fun vs gameplay needs to be lighthearted and funny to be fun argument.

I am just saying it technically isn't against the rules currently so your arguments about admins not enforcing the rules and all that conspiracy mumbo jumbo are invalid

(unless of course you use the common sense rule but come on this is cRPG who has common sense?)

There are old sellswords and bold sellswords, but there are no old, bold sellswords.

Offline kasMVC

• Duke
  • Renown: 608
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2013, 09:00:40 am »
+2
One time I killed a large amount of enemies. It ended up being around 4v4 at the end (myself included). My team and I quickly disposed of 3 of the remaining enemy.

"Where's this last guy"
"I dunn-" his words cut short by a bolt in the back.

We frantically scrambled around trying to figure out where it came from. Of course it was Flying Dildos. Recently dildos had been shooting me a lot (I suppose leaving FCC retracted a lot of my bro codes) or for the numerous other reasons why it is enjoyable to kill me.

Not wanting to participate I put a banner on his location and sent my teammates to dispatch of the pest. Holding my breath I watch him fight my two teammates and eventually kill them.

!!! WHAT HAVE I DONE. I was unsure of my ability to take dildos on 1v1. And the whole server was watching. Fuck it I don't know why we aren't bro coding anymore but I used to love yelling "DILDOS SNIPER IN THE OPEN" and have him take the enemy out in one shot.

So I began feinting for no reason. It was hilarious. For 2 minutes we stood opposite each other feinting and back peddling. Never coming into striking range we danced for old times sake. I knew what I was doing was wrong, but fuck it this was my brother. Someone who I have never met, and will never meet, but who I feel so much for. How else could I express my feelings? Typing "lol i love you bro" just wouldn't cut it.

So for two minutes we did this... and then flags popped up.

Immediately Dildos dashes for the flags. "ARGHH" I thought "I really fucked up this time"

You see... for the timer had gotten to 30 seconds. I had 5 athletics and 55 body armor plus 50 head armor. Dildos had some fur with nothing on his head. The dash had my heart pumping. Adrenaline was coursing through my body. 10 seconds left and we get to flags. He gets there first. They were raised a miniscule amount... but enough to give his team the win. Frantically I spam and feint, but dildos is an old enemy and one wise to my tactics.

And my strike goes through. I would be lying if I did not feel a rush of emotions wash over me. Elation, joy and relief to name a few. Yes I won the round, and yes I preserved the multi, and yes I had a shit ton of fun....

But I still wonder if I should have been reprimanded for my actions. Did I not waste 3 minutes of everyone's time? It's these kinds of bro codings that we should (unfortunately) take steps to combat. When two bro's express their love purely to let everyone know how much they care about eachother. I love you man

Offline ArysOakheart

• Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1322
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free Peasants of Fisdnar
  • Game nicks: Arys_TheDrunkenPeasant
« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2013, 09:39:10 am »
+2
One time I killed a large amount of enemies. It ended up being around 4v4 at the end (myself included). My team and I quickly disposed of 3 of the remaining enemy.

"Where's this last guy"
"I dunn-" his words cut short by a bolt in the back.

We frantically scrambled around trying to figure out where it came from. Of course it was Flying Dildos. Recently dildos had been shooting me a lot (I suppose leaving FCC retracted a lot of my bro codes) or for the numerous other reasons why it is enjoyable to kill me.

Not wanting to participate I put a banner on his location and sent my teammates to dispatch of the pest. Holding my breath I watch him fight my two teammates and eventually kill them.

!!! WHAT HAVE I DONE. I was unsure of my ability to take dildos on 1v1. And the whole server was watching. Fuck it I don't know why we aren't bro coding anymore but I used to love yelling "DILDOS SNIPER IN THE OPEN" and have him take the enemy out in one shot.

So I began feinting for no reason. It was hilarious. For 2 minutes we stood opposite each other feinting and back peddling. Never coming into striking range we danced for old times sake. I knew what I was doing was wrong, but fuck it this was my brother. Someone who I have never met, and will never meet, but who I feel so much for. How else could I express my feelings? Typing "lol i love you bro" just wouldn't cut it.

So for two minutes we did this... and then flags popped up.

Immediately Dildos dashes for the flags. "ARGHH" I thought "I really fucked up this time"

You see... for the timer had gotten to 30 seconds. I had 5 athletics and 55 body armor plus 50 head armor. Dildos had some fur with nothing on his head. The dash had my heart pumping. Adrenaline was coursing through my body. 10 seconds left and we get to flags. He gets there first. They were raised a miniscule amount... but enough to give his team the win. Frantically I spam and feint, but dildos is an old enemy and one wise to my tactics.

And my strike goes through. I would be lying if I did not feel a rush of emotions wash over me. Elation, joy and relief to name a few. Yes I won the round, and yes I preserved the multi, and yes I had a shit ton of fun....

But I still wonder if I should have been reprimanded for my actions. Did I not waste 3 minutes of everyone's time? It's these kinds of bro codings that we should (unfortunately) take steps to combat. When two bro's express their love purely to let everyone know how much they care about eachother. I love you man

:GolfClap: