Author Topic: Rebalance the 1H left swing  (Read 1094 times)

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
Re: Rebalance the 1H left swing
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2013, 07:09:40 pm »
Since the most recent weight-based(I think?) turnspeed change, overheads are, in my opinion, stronger than the all-mighty left-swing. They also frequently hit the bad guy's brainbox, are more difficult to block, and are easily combined with holds and feints.

Of course, in a group-fight, left-swing spam is often the most viable option, especially when outnumbered. Of course you're going to perform the most reliable and quickest attack in that situation.

Polearms have the right-swing in an even more powerful position than 1h's left-swing, I think. This does not mean it needs to be changed. Every class of melee weapon will have an animation that the user deems most powerful, or at least that they favor the most.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline Spa_geh_tea

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearded Vagrant
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 06:41:10 pm »
2h left AND right swing are equal or better than 1h left swing:

-All three hit for full damage early in the animation
-2h gets a reach bonus on both sideswings, 1h left swing doesn't
-The "hits the head" feature of 1h left swing is a double-edge sword, because all a 2h user has to do is ready an attack, and their animation causes them to crouch under the incoming left swing. You can't crouch under a 2h sideswing.

So it's not that 1h left swing is so amazing, it's that 1h right swing and thrust are so crap that left swing is often the only option. I prefer to overhead, but that's risky if your opponent is good at dodging.

As suggested. At a guess, 55% of my kills are overheads. Typically a left swing is used to break a spammers pace, as its the only attack that may be fast enough.

Some common 1h attack sequences: 
Right, overhead
Left, thrust, overhead
Overhead chamber, overhead
Left, Kick, overhead
Sidestep, overhead

Offline Shemaforash

• Duke
  • Renown: 533
  • Infamy: 169
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Shemaforash
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 06:53:08 pm »
+1
2h left AND right swing are equal or better than 1h left swing:

-All three hit for full damage early in the animation
-2h gets a reach bonus on both sideswings, 1h left swing doesn't
-The "hits the head" feature of 1h left swing is a double-edge sword, because all a 2h user has to do is ready an attack, and their animation causes them to crouch under the incoming left swing. You can't crouch under a 2h sideswing.

So it's not that 1h left swing is so amazing, it's that 1h right swing and thrust are so crap that left swing is often the only option. I prefer to overhead, but that's risky if your opponent is good at dodging.

Right swing does have a reach bonus actually which is really handy, not useless at all.
You should be punished for having a shitty attitude.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2013, 07:25:19 pm »
+2
Right swing does have a reach bonus actually which is really handy, not useless at all.

I'd trade the reach bonus on 1h right swing for the ability to not glance on anything past your 1 o'clock. But I only play Siege, where reach is usually negated by walls/etc. I'd rather be able to hit the guy in my face without glancing.