Author Topic: cav: especially LoLlancers  (Read 7000 times)

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
Re: cav: especially LoLlancers
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 04:12:03 pm »
I have nothing to do with the lance speed changes. In fact, I was the one of the dev team who insisted on reverting back from the fixed lance thrust to the old, turnable one for gameplay reasons. I guess the speed change was the price for this or something.

Furthermore I play 2 characters who use the lances. One dedicated lancer and a 1h cav/inf hybrid with abit polearm skill for lancing. The heavy lance still works fine for me even with the speed change.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 04:14:05 pm by Paul »

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Magikarp ; Merciless_Charlemagne
  • IRC nick: Magikarp
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 04:20:43 pm »
Going hybrid as a cavalry user is useless. You won't have enough wpf to be effective in both melee and lancing.
Taking a onehander without wpf however is now suddenly a very good option if you get a shielder.

Overall I'm apalled by the series of events. Nerfing heavy lance for no apparant reason, giving it mediocre stats when loomed compared to others.

Yet the only problem with prepatch cav was the Sarranid Horse. Guess the devs want to keep it instead of reverting heavy lance and nerfing it. So I guess after MW lance I will heirloom Arabian War Horses, to get my ultimate killing machine.
Don't mind the fish.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2011, 04:23:33 pm »
Nerfing heavy lance for no apparant reason

Yeah, no reason at all. It was just a coincidence that 99.999% of cavalry players used the same weapon. :rolleyes:

Offline Bothersome_Aldryk

• Baron
  • Renown: 124
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2011, 04:28:07 pm »
You can't get enough WPF to be effective in both melee and lancing? Lol. You don't need that much WPF to be effective in melee, and Cav doesn't take a huge investment of WPF either.

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2011, 04:41:45 pm »
the biggest problem is taht it is now unuseable on foot, and you dont have slots to bring a sidearm... i think i'll go for he quarterstaff next time i retire :o

Is your only idea of a "sidearm" the bec de corbin or something? Is this some kind of joke?

If you insist on being a polearm-only cav but want a backup weapon, then carry a shortened spear. That's only one slot.

Going hybrid as a cavalry user is useless. You won't have enough wpf to be effective in both melee and lancing.
Taking a onehander without wpf however is now suddenly a very good option if you get a shielder.

Sorry, but I'm going to call bullshit on that, because speed has limited use to a cav player. 120/120 is plenty good enough.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 04:44:53 pm by okiN »
Don't.

Offline 22nd_King_Plazek

• Baron
  • Renown: 87
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2011, 04:42:18 pm »
it brought nice balance between polearm/1h cavalry. before polearm cav was the only way to go (especially when morningstar lost the crushthrough). now both have pros and cons.
that's true, now 1handed cav has a lot more to offer to players

I have been playing sword and horse for over a year and really lance vs sword is still much the same.

My horse gets killed by one or two stabs, theirs needs several. Why is a lance so much more powerful?
I get 1 hitted by a good lance stab, they don't die without several sword strikes. Why does a lance hurt so much more than a sword?
I get messed up by bad sweet spots, the lance can stab me when I am an inch from the users face and practically behind them. Why are lances not subject to the same sweet spot restrictions?

Of course this is all anecdotal maybe I am just real unlucky :P
The only advantage now is that I can use my sword on foot while due to recent changes I hear a lance cannot be used on foot.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 04:50:42 pm by 22nd_King_Plazek »

Offline PhantomZero

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
  • I'm going to need you playing at 6AM on Saturday..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BIRD CLAN
  • Game nicks: POSTMASTER_PHANTOM0_OF_BIRD
  • IRC nick: PhantomZero
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2011, 04:45:02 pm »
Yeah, no reason at all. It was just a coincidence that 99.999% of cavalry players used the same weapon. :rolleyes:

It's not like it was overpowered. 99% of the cavalry players used it because it had the longest reach, this allows for them to deal with infantry a lot easier, where as the light lance is better against enemy cav.

To be honest, all you did by changing the speed around was force people to relearn the timing. People will still be using the heavy lance due to its longer reach, compared to anything else.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2011, 04:46:31 pm »
To be honest, all you did by changing the speed around was force people to relearn the timing. People will still be using the heavy lance due to its longer reach, compared to anything else.

The guy who was whining about the Heavy Lance being dead doesn't seem to agree with you.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2011, 04:49:51 pm »

I love you  :D

Pleaaaase someone from the dev team sets lancing to what it was between the patch and the "hotfix"  :mad:

Don't you find it ridiculous that lancers can turn their corpse 780° for lancing ? The impact from a onehanded lance (all lances are wielded onehanded but it's important not to forget this) on horseback should be way lower than it is since your arm has to sustain the pressure when you hit. Couched lance packed a vastly superior impact, yet it is not really the case in cRPG. And about balance, now many lancers can dehorse another cav and have the time to stab their opponent still on the ground !!! It's plain BS.

All in all, either changing lancing again or greatly nerfing the maneuver of most horses will do (buffing other things like charge). I don't see why anyone would go 1h cav now. You just use your heavy lance until you are dehorsed, then you pick your preferred "polearm" fistfucking medieval toy that does over 9000 damage, knockdowns and makes you fly if you spam too much.

Offline Elmetiacos

• Count
  • Renown: 175
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
  • You've probably teamkilled me
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hot_Chick_with_a_Sword, Dark_Rose_Knight
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2011, 04:49:59 pm »
It's actually 100% now I've retired Roxtanos as cav.
The word is "anyway" not "anyways". You are not Gabby Hayes.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Sir_Ironlake

• Baron
  • Renown: 144
  • Infamy: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2011, 04:55:57 pm »
Is your only idea of a "sidearm" the bec de corbin or something? Is this some kind of joke?

If you insist on being a polearm-only cav but want a backup weapon, then carry a shortened spear. That's only one slot.

Sorry, but I'm going to call bullshit on that, because speed has limited use to a cav player. 120/120 is plenty good enough.

okiN makes good points.

The new lance is more difficult then before, but thats ok imho... and the drop lance thing is fun for me... makes it a use or revert to sidearm weapon, better then swaping lol =) despite this being an obvious nerf, i think ill revert to both 1h and polearm cav, first lancing then droping it and fighting with sword

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2011, 05:00:50 pm »
It's actually 100% now I've retired Roxtanos as cav.

Not really, as now I will try to be 100% 1h cav. I won't bother taking a lance with me anymore, since I used it not so often and was continuously switching. Furthermore, I can't really compete with pure lancers with the typical mw heavy lance and champion sarranid anyway.

Offline 22nd_King_Plazek

• Baron
  • Renown: 87
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2011, 05:01:48 pm »
I love you  :D

Pleaaaase someone from the dev team sets lancing to what it was between the patch and the "hotfix"  :mad:

Don't you find it ridiculous that lancers can turn their corpse 780° for lancing ? The impact from a onehanded lance (all lances are wielded onehanded but it's important not to forget this) on horseback should be way lower than it is since your arm has to sustain the pressure when you hit. Couched lance packed a vastly superior impact, yet it is not really the case in cRPG. And about balance, now many lancers can dehorse another cav and have the time to stab their opponent still on the ground !!! It's plain BS.

All in all, either changing lancing again or greatly nerfing the maneuver of most horses will do (buffing other things like charge). I don't see why anyone would go 1h cav now. You just use your heavy lance until you are dehorsed, then you pick your preferred "polearm" fistfucking medieval toy that does over 9000 damage, knockdowns and makes you fly if you spam too much.

Apparently the way it was then has no skill.
Apparently aiming the mouse is more skillful than correct maneuvering of your horse.

Of course this is nonsensical. Horse maneuvering so as to present a good opportunity to use a lance is IMO much more skillful than simply aiming the mouse wherever you want to kill.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2011, 05:05:44 pm »
I'm always impressed how quickly cRPG turns people into lobbyists.

Offline Zanthos

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: White Company
  • Game nicks: Zanthos_WCo
  • IRC nick: Zanthos
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2011, 05:07:25 pm »
I'm not a full time cav and this is probably my 5th gen out of ... a lot ... that I've spent on cavalry. I've had very little problem adjusting to the new Heavy Lance speed... but only after I put a decent amount of WPF into polearm. Prior to that, I simply used other polearms... the light lance and even the red tassel spear (when you fall off horse you can use it as your secondary) were usually my choices.

It is simply a matter of timing and getting used to it. This isn't much different than when you were on horseback and had 1 WPF in Polearms and tried to lance someone with the Heavy Lance before the batch. The only difference now is that you will had to deal with that slow speed even after a relatively decent investment of WPF into Polearms. At approx 150 WPF though, it feels relatively quick again.

The Heavy Lance is still very viable, but you have to get used to the pros and cons of it now. For example, if you intend to run through a crowd at lightning speed on a Courser and lance 2 or 3 infantry, you won't be able to pull it off anymore because of the time it takes for the lance to reset/recover. A light lance may be capable of this, but the moment you run into a cavalry charging you with a heavy lance, you will have to decide if you want to take your chances on him outreaching you.

Before playing a cav again I thought the change was unnecessary and a waste of time. After retiring, going cav, and getting into the lvl 20+ range... I think it adds some variety that was sorely needed. I actually plan to go 1h cav next time because my previous build was a 2h with riding (so I could heirloom a horse) and I had a blast with 1h on cav when I was just messing around... and it was rather effective.

*Note - the sidearm options though really do suck... but I actually like it this way. I  have an heirloomed shortened spear that I carry and if you are a dedicated cav on foot... it's hard to be effective with it. The reach is awful without having athletics to move around and anything more than a shortened spear and you will likely start bleeding more money than you find it worthwhile because you shouldn't be on foot anyway. Remember that last part... you are effective on horseback, so try not to fall and there's no problem :)