Poll

Should we nerf ranged?

NERF RANGED
270 (47.6%)
I LIKE TO BE GAY AND PLAY COUNTER STRIKE STYLE CRPG
297 (52.4%)

Total Members Voted: 566

Author Topic: SAVE CRPG! NERF RANGED  (Read 42062 times)

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
Re: SAVE CRPG! NERF RANGED
« Reply #345 on: June 04, 2012, 12:20:30 am »
+3
Telling 2handers to get a shield is racism. On the other hand insulting archers and suggesting to them to go die in a fire is not.

Offline Momo

• Baron
  • Renown: 141
  • Infamy: 170
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: _Momo_
  • IRC nick: Momo
« Reply #346 on: June 04, 2012, 12:21:52 am »
Telling 2handers to get a shield is racism. On the other hand insulting archers and suggesting to them to go die in a fire is not.

I am planning to go 2h/throwing hybrid next gen so if an archer tries to troll me I can put an axe in his/her face.
I was the first one who started -1-ing everyone, now everyone does it to everyone.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Ad1no

• Count
  • Renown: 165
  • Infamy: 284
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Of The Codex
  • Game nicks: The_Sosarian_Knight
  • IRC nick: Sosarian
« Reply #347 on: June 04, 2012, 12:24:28 am »

obviously this dev is a pimp

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 557
  • Infamy: 326
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: June 04, 2012, 12:25:02 am »
Shield is useful only if you're chasing single archer under one condition, that you have 2 more ath than him. Otherwise not so useful.

Archers, xbowmen and throwers are usually shooting from different sides at me so having a shield on my back while fighting someone won't help me there.

And contrary to popular belief, having friendly archers behind me won't help me because most archers won't shoot at other archers unless they are threatened by them.

If archers focused enemy archers and cav fought enemy cav, being infantry on big servers would be a lot relaxed. However that's not the case.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 12:29:31 am by Leshma »

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: June 04, 2012, 12:35:57 am »
Shield is useful only if you're chasing single archer under one condition, that you have 2 more ath than him. Otherwise not so useful.

Leshma, who as far as I know is not very experienced with shields, has aknowledged this basic fact most archers posting on the forums never care to admit for some reason.

An archer dying in a fire is still an archer. It's not racism. I'd even say an archer dying in a fire becomes the absolute form of an archer, the final transformation to become the ultimate archer. It is the climax of his life, which was devoted to that moment.

Offline OpenPalm

• Baron
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 18
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Thes
« Reply #350 on: June 04, 2012, 12:39:43 am »
Leshma, who as far as I know is not very experienced with shields, has aknowledged this basic fact most archers posting on the forums never care to admit for some reason.

Sure, if you're fighting an archer on an infinite field that has no other allies/enemies or obstacles.  Battles do not take place in a vacuum, and sometimes, chasing away an archer is just as valuable as killing him.
Quote from: Smoothrich
Racism against our chinese gold grinding brothers.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 164
  • Infamy: 474
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 04, 2012, 12:44:26 am »

I'm a bad shielder, however I do have 1 shield skill which isn't much but in combination with Old Heater Shield and some manual shield positioning it's enough to block most arrows that are fired straight at me. Although crazy STR archers do trash my shield in 3 or 4 arrows.

I do have some experience using a shield against archers. Against better archers (weasels) it's not useful because this is what usually happens:

1) they run and I chase them, i'm slower because of the shield but i'm still fast enough
2) after some time i catch them but they do 180 spin (which should be fixed) run straight into me, disrupting my attack
3) keep running in other direction

I don't have fast enough reflexes to release my swing before they run into me and I don't have a crystal ball to tell me when they are about to turn around.

Cocky archers do something else:
1) they run
2) let you catch them
3) shoot you when you're changing from shield to weapon

For high agi chars it's better choice to chase them without a shield than with it.

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 04, 2012, 12:45:39 am »
+1

Why not? It's a prety simple tactic for two coordinated archers to bring down a shielder, anything wrong with it?

Offline Cris

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 23
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Merc_Cris, Cris, TestSubject
  • IRC nick: Cris
« Reply #353 on: June 04, 2012, 01:06:20 am »
+4
Who remebers the day when even a horsearcher (damage penalty) could get rid of your good shield in 2 to 3 shots? And archers could headshoot you across the map if the player knew how to aim?
Or if they were really good shoot your feet undershields if you didnt stack high shieldskill?
And shoot at a native speed?

Sniper Crossobows were carried by everyone and thorwing lances were 1 shot kill to even heavy horses

Ah :D those were the days :-P I still cannot understand why people want ranged nerfed, its been nerf. A lot. More than any other thing in any other game ive ever played.

Offline Beauchamp

• Earl
  • Renown: 427
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
    • Personal portfolio
« Reply #354 on: June 04, 2012, 01:19:50 am »
Why doesn't anyone ever buy a shield? In the old CRPG 70% of twohanders had a shield.

Because they don't need it against current archers.
OOODDIIINVALHALLAAAAAAA on the 20th of April 2011: What I know is that... heh, eh ja how can I explain? ...deh feeling to believe in Odin is right, dat is what I say, ja?!

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
« Reply #355 on: June 04, 2012, 04:06:57 am »
learn to english? neva!

Learn 2 evade
Pock gobblers

Offline Swaggart

• Earl
  • Renown: 481
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 04, 2012, 04:23:12 am »
Telling 2h/polearmers to get a shield would make sense only if archers were forced to spend points to block melee.

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #357 on: June 04, 2012, 05:43:36 am »
Telling 2h/polearmers to get a shield would make sense only if archers were forced to spend points to block melee.

Being forced to spend half of your skillpoints just to be able to hit anything at all isnt enough ?

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #358 on: June 04, 2012, 09:26:09 am »
Able to hit anything without most people beign able to fight back?

Yes.

If you want to force melee to change their build, change your too.
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline Taggerung

• Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 04, 2012, 09:31:20 am »
+1

And this is why this mod is dying. Fuck C-RPG and it's Devs.