Author Topic: random damage  (Read 2530 times)

Offline ammeron

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Warkittenz
random damage
« on: March 24, 2012, 01:53:49 pm »
k i dont understand where your coming from with this armor soak factor bs crap. i could really care less that damage is somewhat randomized, but i've tested with my friend on the duel server and i've shot him 5 times with 9 power draw to kill him in 6 armor. and the next death in the EXACT same armor and my exact same gear, my damage spiked both hits and i 2 shot him... wtf is this seriously? sometimes i do 1/2 their health others 1/5 with the exact same setup? maybe a 10% variation either way but a 100% difference? wtf?

Offline justme

• Count
  • Renown: 188
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandits
  • Game nicks: Bandit_Elsupreme
Re: random damage
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 03:22:41 pm »
you both stand still?

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 09:05:07 pm »
Chest, head, and legs all have different penalties/bonuses to damage. Make sure you are hitting the same area.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline ammeron

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 09:41:25 pm »
Chest, head, and legs all have different penalties/bonuses to damage. Make sure you are hitting the same area.

they were all the exact same distance, like 5 yards shot to the chest with the same armor bow dmg everything, every single variable was exactly the same and damage varied over 100% ... stupid

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 09:45:44 pm »
Armour has a random factor of 50% to 100% protection. Blame the creators of warband for this.

Also, there is a sweet spot for dealing damage. At a tap it will be 100%, but hold for 0.6 seconds before release and it will peak at some ridiculous number like 150% damage. Hold it too long and it runs back down to 120%. This is not just for melee, but also range iirc.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 09:47:23 pm by Tears of Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline ammeron

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 10:05:48 pm »
Armour has a random factor of 50% to 100% protection. Blame the creators of warband for this.

Also, there is a sweet spot for dealing damage. At a tap it will be 100%, but hold for 0.6 seconds before release and it will peak at some ridiculous number like 150% damage. Hold it too long and it runs back down to 120%. This is not just for melee, but also range iirc.

hold is only for melee, dont tell me otherwise because if tested it against targets with zero armor, it makes no difference. and my ENTIRE post is about how stupid the armor soak is.... a 100% dmg variable just random thats retarded.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 10:28:00 pm by ammeron »

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 10:36:29 pm »
a 100% dmg variable just random thats retarded.

Well... Yeah, it sort of is, since the 50% to 100% swing can double the damage, but that is hardly the fault of c-RPG developers. I agree that it is a bit "off" but I think in the past, someone said nothing could be done about it.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 08:54:51 am »
+8
I think the high armour randomisation had been originally introduced for bot fights in M&B. It allows weaker troops to hurt knights once in a while when he has a bad armour dice role. Otherwise that knight would pretty much be unkillable even when buried under a mountain of lowly bandits. Players on the other hand can increase their damage potential in different ways, like holding time or speed bonus. I don't think the high randomisation is needed in cRPG.

I suggested a reduce of randomness before. Dunno what cmp thinks about it. Maybe he has reasons to keep it as it is.

Offline ammeron

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 04:01:17 am »
I think the high armour randomisation had been originally introduced for bot fights in M&B. It allows weaker troops to hurt knights once in a while when he has a bad armour dice role. Otherwise that knight would pretty much be unkillable even when buried under a mountain of lowly bandits. Players on the other hand can increase their damage potential in different ways, like holding time or speed bonus. I don't think the high randomisation is needed in cRPG.

I suggested a reduce of randomness before. Dunno what cmp thinks about it. Maybe he has reasons to keep it as it is.

my thoughts exactly, i dont think its as big of a deal in melee especialy with the 50% hold damage bonus for melee, having to hit someone 1 more time in melee isnt a huge deal, but 1 more shot for archery is kinda a big deal. espeically with the damage i SHOULD do if i did strait dmg with a exact amount reduced i'd 3 shot almost anyone. but sometimes ill 5 shot the same person due to getting 5 low hits. i agree with this completely maybe 10% variation either way or so would be fine, but the 100% difference is absolutely ridiculous.

Offline CaptainQuantum

• Knight
  • Renown: 44
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The 22nd Battalion
  • Game nicks: Quant, Quantum
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 01:35:13 pm »
This is not a direct fault of cRPG, as Urist mentioned the feature was introduced for other reasons. The reason this won't have become apparent very easily in native is because the amount the randomness factor comes into play is dependant on the amount of armour value (and of course average armour rating in cRPG is higher). You can look at the game mechanics thread if it is still up which has all the equations you need to understand it in there.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 01:37:31 pm »
FIGHT THE RNG!!!!!

Reduced randomness would be awesome.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 01:51:49 pm »
+1
I hate the randomisation a ton, always die to completely random glances midswing :/

Offline CaptainQuantum

• Knight
  • Renown: 44
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The 22nd Battalion
  • Game nicks: Quant, Quantum
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 02:12:46 pm »
I hate the randomisation a ton, always die to completely random glances midswing :/
By definition glances in cRPG cannot kill you, a glance is when you are not interrupted, which only happens for damage<1 in cRPG (<3 ? in native). But the random damage is silly in the context of cRPG, I would like Urist to bug cmp to change it. Also the damage isn't massively variant i.e between  0% and 100% unless the target has very high armour and you didn't get a very good blow in, in which case your damage will be varying between 0 and a small number anyway.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 02:16:06 pm »
+1
By definition glances in cRPG cannot kill you,
I think he means not getting killed by glances, but getting killed because he glances and the enemy's attack isn't interrupted.

Randomness is gay, anything that reduces it has my support.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 02:21:29 pm »
I think he means not getting killed by glances, but getting killed because he glances and the enemy's attack isn't interrupted.

Randomness is gay, anything that reduces it has my support.
This.