Author Topic: Arrow Damage Type  (Read 6687 times)

Offline Angoman

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Angoman, THUD, Armruster
Re: Arrow Damage Type
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2011, 01:13:11 pm »
1. Thanks for the little archer nerf, I really appreciate this.
The new animation is nice, the damage dealt without much skill isn't that high anymore.

2. Nerf xbows.
Compared to bows they are pretty overpowered now.
There are enough medium armoured guys with 1h/ shield + xbow or 2h + xbow, they still deal pierce damage over distance without ANY skill needed and are able to survive in melee (skillbased).

The ranged spam became less deadly with the archer nerf, but its reduced to absurdity when you still get oneshotted by melee fighters with xbows, penetrating your light armour easily.

So please get either the old spam back, those archers were often enough easy prey, chanceless in melee, but dealing more realistic amounts of damage.
Or for the sake of balance, let xbows deal cutting dmg too, reduce their shot speed by ~10 points and give them instead ~10 extra dmg.

This would set every type of ranged weapon to its "ecological" niche, throwing to short, xbow to short to medium and bows to medium to large range.

Atm its to easy to pick a light crossbow, dealing 45 + 4 pierce dmg nearly as fast as a skilled dedicated bowman.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 01:16:26 pm by Angoman »
Hit people and take their stuff!

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2011, 01:34:23 pm »
Atm its to easy to pick a light crossbow, dealing 45 + 4 pierce dmg nearly as fast as a skilled dedicated bowman.

Not as fast, you know reloading time...

Offline Helrekkr

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Shogunate_Helrekkr
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2011, 02:16:15 pm »

2. Nerf xbows.
Compared to bows they are pretty overpowered now.

Just a little discussion if you're up for reading: http://netsword.com/ubb/Forum8/HTML/000241.html

A small excerpt :
First, a heavy crossbow (probably requiring a windlass to draw it) could have a draw weight of 1.000 pounds or more; bows from the wreck of the Mary Rose indicate that longbows ranged between 120 and 150 pounds. On the 50 m range, the crossbow certainly has the edge and probably will penetrate plate armour.

Offline StanleyPain

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: (>'.'<)(*)(*)(¯`·._) LLJK (¯`·._) (*)(*) (>'.'<)
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2011, 06:04:47 pm »
I think I know why, sometimes, it takes an extraordinary amount of arrows to kill someone. Because of the cut damage change arrows now have a chance for a glancing blow. I noticed last night that someone had shot me in the neck but had only taken off a small chunk of my health. So angle of attack might have something to do with it?

Offline Zoidberg

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • Awesome Bar: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2011, 06:51:47 pm »
I think chadz wanted to make the archer class more support class , archer can stun the melee guys and then the teamates kill them.
But thats my opinion.
Sorry for my bad English.

Offline AssPunisher

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2011, 07:16:03 pm »
Just recently I hit a guy wearing a Felt Cap (Head Armor 8) straight in the forehead and he lived. I have PD 5, 140 WPF in archery, Strong bow and Khergit arrows. It was funny to watch him running around with my arrow in his head but it was also wrong in so many ways. Archery is shit right now and thats a fact.

I have nothing against longer animations, IF holding longer means better accuracy which does not! Then let all archer spammers to spam all they like and miss in the process. But bring back the pierce damage because this is silly.

For others, I suggest buying a thing called shield. Even the 0 requirement shields can take a dozen of arrows before they break apart. I know you want an easy mode to run around freely while arrows bounce of your naked body but its just not right. I would love to see your poleaxes bounce of my body too but it aint right either.

Offline Ronish

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2011, 07:51:25 pm »
Just my opinion:

Needs to be pierce dmg. I'm an average archer in skill and archery has been disappointing so far. Had a guy in leather armor close to me (taking 4 hits to the torso from me) and kill me. If I'm going to have to melee everybody to be helpful to me team, I might as well invest the points into it, instead of archery. I'll keep pushing archery until I can get pd 6 going and see what happens. Maybe things will get better even with cut dmg and animation nerfs, once I'm at pd 6, wpf 200. If you can now heirloom bows without increased pd requirement (I haven't seen it myself yet), then that could also make archery work with cut dmg (albeit it'll take a while)

Sure I may not be using the pd 6 bows (pd 3), but kinda silly, especially since most recent patch will help people maintain higher end armor (5% upkeep instead of 20%).

Bottom line: like the animation, Hopefully piercing dmg will return. Archery whiners should just buy a damn shield. I'll wait and see how my progression with archery pans out before I go melee only.

Offline Goretooth

• Duke
  • Renown: 634
  • Infamy: 237
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2011, 07:53:04 pm »
 :twisted: useless against me now
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 07:56:47 pm by Goretooth »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Braeden - Clanless maybe? or Free Peasant not sure - Rarely plays, plus might be retarded
Tydeus - Nord EU Scum - Hates adminning

Offline Jason

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2011, 08:17:30 pm »
Fog, damage decrease, pierce removal, too much nerf... I was naked yesterday and got hit with 3 arrows around the neck and chest and wasnt below half health. 

Also I shot someone in plate 5 times in upper chest from about 15 yards because he was afk.  He didnt die and that i got one shot by a one handed sword.  I did however 1 shot a ninja in the head from about 50 yards though.  On average it takes me 3 to 4 shots to kill someone in medium/light armor.

148 archery and 4 PD  lvl 24.

It is pretty balanced however if they have a sheild its almost impossible for me to kill them.  Im sure it will get easier once i get a warbow at lvl 27.