Author Topic: Guild Wars 2  (Read 12404 times)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Guild Wars 2
« on: January 25, 2012, 09:22:52 am »
Well the more I read about this game the more I'm hyped.

I simply love the fact that they're "breaking" so many of the rules set by nowadays "MMO" games like WoW, RIFT, SWToR and co.

Why did I write "MMO"? Because simply said those names that I mentioned are anything but a MULTI MASSIVE ONLINE game. Actually the last thing "massive" in WoW was pre-battlemaster vanilla PvP battles in Hillsbrad Foothills.

From there it just went down to cross-server LFD tools and other bad stuff like that, that completely broke server communities. Nowadays so called big "MMOs" are nothing but instantiated content exclusively for your guild where other random players (read server) have no influence, neither do you have any influence on the server.

Guild Wars 2 kind of breaks this era of "MMO" games by releasing a real MMO and Dynamic Events are what makes that possible. It's no more about solo questing, you encounter different events throughout your journey which are NOT exclusive to you (or your party). These are the GW2s "quests" that anyone can join in. What others and you do in these events makes an impact on how the event will end and how the world/area will be influenced.

The game is no more about getting to max level, getting a good guild and gear grind till your eyes pop out of sockets. It's about cooperating with your whole server, not just a small group of players. Yes, GW2 still has instanced 5man dungeons, but that is a small part of the game.

In addition to this, you have World vs World vs World PvP (3 servers), which makes a server's community matter even more.

Other than these dynamic events that really bring the feel of a real MMO, you have this:

- no more tank/heal/dps classes (aka the trinity)
- no more normal talk to npc quests
- no more gear grind (stats may be different but the "item level" is the same for everyone of the same level)
- bigass PvP zone with dynamic events, castles, resource points, mines, fortresses where 3 servers fight eachother
- dynamic combat with active blocking, projectile dodging, skill combos and cast on run
- ability to level exclusively in PvP from level 1 (you're boosted to 80 with gear and skills so you're not gimped)
- ability sets dependant on what type of weapon you're using
- a sidekick system that boosts/lowers your character to your friends level so you can play with him
- a character story system where your choices matter
- ability to switch servers without a cost
- buy to play!

That being said, here's a megalong überpost about GW2, that pretty much has all the info about it:
http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1058358-Guild-Wars-2-Mass-info-for-the-uninitiated.-READ-ME!

Also:
We recently finished our first closed beta test, and we’re now ready to hold progressively larger events. In February we’ll invite select press to participate in beta testing, and in March and April we’ll aggressively ramp up the size of our beta test events so that many of you will have a chance to participate. And of course, this all leads to the release of Guild Wars 2 later this year.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 09:27:48 am by Vibe »

Offline Apsod

• Duke
  • Renown: 698
  • Infamy: 98
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Donate a few denari to the farmers of Calradia!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Apsod
Re: Guild Wars 2
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 10:19:03 am »
+2
I am being forced to play this by Thovex :(

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 04:48:46 pm »
Good to see people here will play it.

It's one of the few online games I'm waiting patiently for.

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • Renown: 965
  • Infamy: 309
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BashiBazouks
  • Game nicks: HarunYahya,HarunShootya,Inan
  • IRC nick: HarunYahya
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 05:16:15 pm »
Ignis Aeternum HomePage
(click to show/hide)
GW 2 deserves love and we gonna give it what it deserves for sure .
On this Guild we welcome cRPG players who would like to play GW2 together with us and also we'll be probably open to recruit ingame.

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 05:18:05 pm »
+1
MMO = big no.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 06:41:52 pm »
GW2 is part of those MMO's I'm interested in. I really liked GW1 and I know this one will be completely different, obviously in a good way. And I still love the buy to play model.

However, there are a few things I think are a little too much arcadey like :

- no more gear grind (stats may be different but the "item level" is the same for everyone of the same level)
- ability to level exclusively in PvP from level 1 (you're boosted to 80 with gear and skills so you're not gimped)
- a sidekick system that boosts/lowers your character to your friends level so you can play with him

I'm ok with getting the gameplay over the point & click level, but throwing the grind out of the window is not a good idea :(

Finally, I don't know how they will come up with an interesting system without the usual tank/heal/dps classes. GW1 already was a bit of an outsider about that since you could actually play in group without a heal and/or without a tank, but still the balance wasn't perfect tbh.

About a "revolution" in MMO, it isn't really true either. Many 2nd tier MMOs, usually F2P, tried various forms of innovative ideas on that regard. Including massive faction battles etc. But a good part of those died due to a lack of players. People play because other people play too, with little regard to the quality of the game. WoW, with all the successive extensions that only managed to make it worse, is a very good example of this. Only very recently the player count started to drop afaik.

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 07:42:37 pm »
I'm ok with getting the gameplay over the point & click level, but throwing the grind out of the window is not a good idea :(

:O No more grind is the best thing I've ever heard. Been curious about this game, but now that I know they're actually lowering the amount of grind. Awesome!

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 08:41:55 pm »
I hate MMO's generally, but this one looks very interesting. Planning on buying this.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 08:51:55 pm »

They're not completely omitting the grind. You may sidekick and you may get bolstered to certain level and gear, but you'll still look like a lowbie. And I believe in World PvP you won't have all the skills/perks until you hit lvl 80, so you're a bit gimped till you hit max level.

Anyway, I too love that they're reducing the grind or atleast hiding it, making this a game that is about playing for fun, not playing because you need to level or get better gear. That's what I really like about it.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 884
  • Infamy: 1588
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 09:08:43 pm »

You haven't played GW. It's all about builds, there's almost no grind. And you can change your build as many times as you want to, something that's not possible in smelly c-rpg Q_Q

Why you Pecores folks like grind so much?

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 09:40:45 pm »
GW1 had a cap of 20 and you could reach it in 2-3 days.

Levels was not the focus of the game it was the pvp and the story.

Some games provide you with lots to do during the leveling then you have barely anything to do at cap and there's games like guildwars that the first levels are just prologue of the game.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 10:34:35 pm »
Loved the first games...used to play them quite a lot. Really looking forward to this  :)

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 429
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Tribunal
  • Game nicks: Vivec_the_Poet
  • IRC nick: Umbra
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 10:43:09 pm »
Alot of these "new" features were in warhammer already. Awesome game ruined by shitty server stability and lag. Im gonna buy this one just cause you can lvl up with pvp from lvl 1 just like in warhammer. Cant stand pve  :mad:
Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 12:11:21 am »
GW2 is part of those MMO's I'm interested in. I really liked GW1 and I know this one will be completely different, obviously in a good way. And I still love the buy to play model.

same, im looking forward to gw2. but in many ways it wont be as good as gw1, they have scrapped alot of gw's best inovations, like the skill system for a standard classes. gw1 wasn't a proper mmo but it was still better than most mmos, gw2 will actually be more like wow etc, but still I trust it will be worth playing.

Offline Dammit

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Pope_Pooptickler
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 12:14:46 am »
Enjoy your korean grindfest with a cash shop!
I'll stomp a mudhole in your ass and then take a dirty bubbly yellow piss in it while all you can do is look back at me with a yellow smile about it.