Author Topic: Pikes and similar  (Read 2496 times)

Offline Patoson

• Marshall
  • Renown: 784
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Pikes and similar
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2012, 08:52:12 pm »
I have played as a pikeman for some time, and it was very easy to block your way out of a spammer, until you managed to kill him or run away. Tenne and Bifi can confirm that :)

I think pikemen shouldn't be able to block so easily/fast, since long spears and pikes are very long weapons. It doesn't make sense that a pikeman can switch from a block direction to another as fast as a 1h or 2h.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 08:53:17 pm by Mikelon »

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2012, 10:39:46 pm »
+1
I think pikemen shouldn't be able to block so easily/fast, since long spears and pikes are very long weapons. It doesn't make sense that a pikeman can switch from a block direction to another as fast as a 1h or 2h.

Well if you look at the weight, a few other weapons shouldn't be able to block fast too: mauls, axes, some of them weight more then twice the amount of a pike. Or how can you raise a shield with twice the weight that fast if you hold it with only one hand? No one complains about that. There are so many things that are unrealistic, but after all its just a game...
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Caita_KUTT, Fellys_KUTT
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2012, 01:06:59 am »
it was very easy to block your way out of a spammer, until you managed to kill him or run away.

But that's just the problem. For some reason when people run up to a pikeman all they can think to do is spam mindlessly. When I've got my pike people never try feints or holds, or anything fancy. They just click, release, click, release, click, release. VERY easy to block that, even against fast weapons.

Try these things against a pikeman sometime and see how it works out.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tanken

• King
  • Renown: 1463
  • Infamy: 395
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tanken
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2012, 01:48:26 am »
From a Pike User in a Pike Loving clan I can tell you this, Pikes are not OP.

They are great as Support Weapons because they can make your enemy fear you holding them much the same they fear an archer aiming at them or a Mauler approaching them. The damage is nice -if- you hit the sweet spot AND connect otherwise you end up getting weird hit placement and striking teammates or glancing off of your enemy when it should be a clean blow.

Also, in regards to it's "speed" the delay between your thrust and the time to put up a block is excruciating. It feels easily like a .8 second to 1 second delay which is crucial in combat. During that time of unbalance, we are susceptible to many easy-to-land attacks from any weapon.

Leave Pikes alone, don't worry about awlpikes and spears. It's not a big deal. If you want to not get killed by a pike, either A) Run away, B) Get a Team to Combat Against it, C) Down-block and close the gap and wait for them to attack because you'll have a second-long window to start killing them, or D) Get an archer to take care of them or a thrower.

I mean c'mon people, the weapon is long, yes, but it's slow and it attacks 1 ONE UNO direction. It also has a delay from the time of thrust to the hitbox impact so even when our swing starts you have a few brief moments to downblock. Spin-Stabbing is fun, but it is difficult to pull off, and if you miss you still have to suffer that 1 second window of defenselessness not to mention pray you put up a block the correct direction to counter your opponent.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 01:50:56 am by Tank Burner »
Below is a Collection of Finalists in my Design my Avatar contest -- They all did Awesome!
Thanks to all of those who contributed.

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Caita_KUTT, Fellys_KUTT
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2012, 04:03:04 am »
I'm starting to think that a lot of the complaints about pikes and longspears are getting muddled together and confused, so allow me to clarify what exactly each of these weapons can do. Despite the common belief that these are similar weapons, while they fill a similar role they play COMPLETELY differently. Comparing them is like comparing the GLB with the longsword, yet I often see people complaining about them while combining their strong points, as if there was some combined uber weapon that had the strengths of both.

LONGSPEAR:

can stab almost at facehugging distance
relatively MUCH faster
-55 length compared to the pike
CAN stab around teammates, but has a MUCH harder time doing so, and is much more likely to get teamhits trying this

PIKE:

cannot stab unless the target is ~3-4 feet away, which means a helicopter spin is NECESSARY to hit targets after they get in facehugging range unless they back off.
VERY VERY slow. As Tanken said, the delay after a thrust is around a full second. For comparison, this weapon is a whopping 12 speed SLOWER than the Great Maul
                                  -The speed difference between the pike and longspear is the same as the difference between the Great Maul and the SoW
55 length longer than the longspear (This makes a MASSIVE difference)
Can very easily stab around teammates and small structures.

Offline Tanken

• King
  • Renown: 1463
  • Infamy: 395
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tanken
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2012, 08:46:31 am »
+1
Leave pikes and long spears of all sorts, alone. They enforce natural teamplay so counter it with same elements. Never go alone against 2 players out of which one is piker, and you will be fine.

Thank you. They -are- Teamplay weapons, they don't do well by themselves.
Below is a Collection of Finalists in my Design my Avatar contest -- They all did Awesome!
Thanks to all of those who contributed.