Author Topic: effective throwing  (Read 994 times)

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
effective throwing
« on: February 24, 2011, 07:55:43 am »
+1
hey, i was thinking about making a polearm character with throwing as a secondary skill - but i wondered if 3 pt and 91 wpf is enough to be effective?

Offline Sphinxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: _Sphinx_
Re: effective throwing
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 07:56:42 am »
3 PT won't make you throw many things .. and what you'll throw won't hurt much ...

Offline gazda

• Earl
  • Renown: 483
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • Its almost harvesting season.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Saracens
  • Game nicks: Gazda_the_Swine
  • IRC nick: gazda
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 08:14:26 am »
depends on which weapon you want to throw, if your aiming for javelins try pt 6 or 5. and wpp 80
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Mattressi

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mattress, Mattressi, Mattressii, Matturtle, Matthrow, Mattbalist, Superion_The_Tainted, Mattrun
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 08:34:25 am »
Damage isn't the main with low PT throwing; it's the horrible accuracy! WPF doesn't do all that much, so you won't be very accurate at all. Still, as long as your planning on only using it to soften a target up with a quick throw just before you melee them, it should be ok.

Offline EliteDragon

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Eastern Tsardom (RIP)
  • Game nicks: EliteDragon
  • IRC nick: EliteDragon
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 09:45:00 am »
get at least 5 PT even if it means sacrificing some wpf, more PT is better than more wpf

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 09:45:45 am »
I actually use throwing to stun/interrupt archers from mid range so I can get close enough for melee or to handicap a 2h user before I engage him.

Offline 1slander

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Timing that sidestep is key to the 1h battle axe
    • View Profile
  • Faction: NORD
  • Game nicks: Araios, Pallas, Hammer. Formerly DRAC & Duke_of_Hazard
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 07:35:41 pm »
I went against the current standard and pushed my throwing wpf to 115 with PT6.  My aim is allright.  I did notice a difference between 100 wpf and 115 though. 

I'd be interested to see what a pure thrower could do, as in 140+ wpf in it, but it's hard to devote that much to it cause it's nice to have 100+ wpf in say 1 hand to still be viable in melee.

For my thrower I use Jarids alot.  They hit hard and force someone to close the distance between you and them very quickly, which is right where I want them because then I pull out my heirloomed battle axe, which is really short - throw up that Huscarls Rnd Shield and hug as close as I can to them.  By that point it's do or die.  You hit them with that axe and some of them try and run, at which point you just throw something at their back.  Unless of course they just kick your ass since you're a gimp hybrid anyways.

The shield is the real weopon in any of this - without it you better hit like a mack truck or parry like a ninja.

In answer to PT3 - I tend to favor war darts alot when I'm running low cost gear.  You get 7 per bag and they are awesome for cavalry.  But at PT6 they hit pretty damn hard - at PT3 - they will still kill and you will love them on unarmored horses.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 07:37:39 pm by 1slander »
Float like a butterfly sting like an axe

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 07:48:57 pm »
What is currently effective vs what will be effective after throwing is changed/nerfed will probably be different.
Currently, HIGH PT and just some WPF is best. Currently PT increases accuracy considerably for every point you have above the requirement so you should just have more strength and pt.

It currently looks something like this for best results:
EXAMPLE: Snowflakes, requirement 0.
Throwing wpf 100
10 PT.
The thing with Power throw is that for every PT above the requirement, you get about ~20 WPF regardless added. So, with this you haves ~300 (100 + 10*20) effective WPF and they become near pinpoint accurate as something being thrown.

Stuff is changing though, we'll see just what happens though. Low PT builds are pointless with the current set up, unless you just want them for inaccurate spam with the highest damage one you can equip.

Yep.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I do what I want
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 09:06:51 pm »
The change coming to throwing is basically decided so I wouldn't go with what currently works which would be min seven pt so u can throw everyones stuff but to start a thrower right before nerf implementation is silly unless u are the magic ten hour retirement gen 500 I hear so much about
Greed is for amateurs...Chaos, Disorder, Anarchy now that's fun!