Author Topic: New ranged change  (Read 38564 times)

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
Re: New ranged change
« Reply #390 on: January 21, 2012, 05:28:59 pm »
+3
I would actually say this is a ranged buff, if you actually know what you are doing of course.

Not really, archery already did bonus damage for head shots before.  It was almost always a 1 shot kill in mid/short range, more likely a 2 shot kill if one of those was a head shot at a longer distance. 

Now it's still almost always a 1 shot kill in mid/short range, and maybe a better chance at being a 1 shot kill at longer range.  But any headshots from long range are essentially lucky shots; you aren't going to be able to effectively headshot at range with the crosshairs.

This is an archery nerf, plain and simple.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline CaptainQuantum

• Knight
  • Renown: 44
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The 22nd Battalion
  • Game nicks: Quant, Quantum
« Reply #391 on: January 22, 2012, 02:53:07 pm »
Not really, archery already did bonus damage for head shots before.  It was almost always a 1 shot kill in mid/short range, more likely a 2 shot kill if one of those was a head shot at a longer distance. 

Now it's still almost always a 1 shot kill in mid/short range, and maybe a better chance at being a 1 shot kill at longer range.  But any headshots from long range are essentially lucky shots; you aren't going to be able to effectively headshot at range with the crosshairs.

The bonus damage was far less, (175% multiplier), now I believe it is 300%?

This is an archery nerf, plain and simple.

You are forgetting that there is also a slight accuracy buff, which makes headshots easier. I can now 1 shot kill with a headshot from barbed arrows aswell (I have no heirlooms for my archer either), I also saw pre-patch some people surviving my bodkins arrows to the face with heavy enough armour, so now I know that aiming for the head is going to be worth it. I think it makes archery much more skillfull, it separates the good archers from the bad ones, so just getting a bow and spamming into a group is no longer effective. I am having much more fun with archery now and my scores have stayed the same as pre patch with the added bonus that my score with barbed arrows is higher than pre-patch.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 02:55:35 pm by CaptainQuantum »

Offline justjr

• Knight
  • Renown: 37
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • I AM THE DRAGON KNIGHT
    • View Profile
    • Just Imports
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: (former Justus_Caesar) Windrunner_of_Chaos, Dragon_Knight_, Justino, cRazY_jusTT_of_Choad
  • IRC nick: Just
« Reply #392 on: January 22, 2012, 03:01:38 pm »
If you use to shot with a long bow before the patch, you barely notice this buff, that's if you do notice.

Offline CaptainQuantum

• Knight
  • Renown: 44
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The 22nd Battalion
  • Game nicks: Quant, Quantum
« Reply #393 on: January 22, 2012, 03:12:52 pm »
The longbow has different appeals to it, it's bad for ranged duels, but I am told it is hardcoded that the longbow draw may be held for longer and hence is better against infantry. So I don't really see a problem with the longbow with these changes, I picked up a longbow yesterday and did as good as with my Rus bow, it seems still to be very effective. It certainly destroys high PD builds, which is probably for the best, that's what a crossbow is for.

For crossbows I think this nerf was very bad since they don't really have the same chance for the headshot as others. So maybe it would be a good idea to increase the damage on the arbalest so that it is still the beast to be scared of as is was pre patch. I do not play crossbow very often (I only have a level 25 alt), so I do not know what needs changing to balance them. However it is quite obvious that crossbows got nerfed to an almost unusable level, in some cases it fixes people bringing a crossbow for a sidearm which is good, but it also screws up the pure crossbow users.

Offline Gristle

• Duke
  • Renown: 560
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BRD
  • Game nicks: Gristle_BRD
« Reply #394 on: January 22, 2012, 03:19:15 pm »
The bonus damage was far less, (175% multiplier), now I believe it is 300%?

You are forgetting that there is also a slight accuracy buff, which makes headshots easier. I can now 1 shot kill with a headshot from barbed arrows aswell (I have no heirlooms for my archer either), I also saw pre-patch some people surviving my bodkins arrows to the face with heavy enough armour, so now I know that aiming for the head is going to be worth it. I think it makes archery much more skillfull, it separates the good archers from the bad ones, so just getting a bow and spamming into a group is no longer effective. I am having much more fun with archery now and my scores have stayed the same as pre patch with the added bonus that my score with barbed arrows is higher than pre-patch.

It went from a 75% increase to a 100% increase. Not a big buff to anything worth using.

What accuracy buff are you talking about?

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #395 on: January 22, 2012, 03:25:45 pm »
It went from a 75% increase to a 100% increase. Not a big buff to anything worth using.

What accuracy buff are you talking about?

Longbow got +1 accuracy. That was the only accuracy buff that I think happened. Hardly worth mentioning tbh.

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: January 22, 2012, 04:30:22 pm »
All I can say is that Im doing far less casualties with my mw longbow than with my normal horn bow. I feel betrayed more and more with what the devs are doing to this game.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 781
  • Infamy: 2778
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: January 22, 2012, 04:38:48 pm »
Yesterday I was playing on low populated server (EU4) and I must say that this change created a huge chasm between good archers and crappy archers. Sadly, there isn't that many good archers playing c-rpg.

Of course, on big server things change. On those servers cavalry rape everyone wearing light armor which includes archers.

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #398 on: January 22, 2012, 05:04:10 pm »
Yesterday I was playing on low populated server (EU4) and I must say that this change created a huge chasm between good archers and crappy archers. Sadly, there isn't that many good archers playing c-rpg.

Of course, on big server things change. On those servers cavalry rape everyone wearing light armor which includes archers.

I don't think you've been paying attention to the discussion.  You can't accurately aim for the head unless you're really close.  This is what you're probably seeing:

- Archer A aims normally, hits with 50% of their arrows in medium range, 90% of the successful hits hit the body.  Damage is dealt, but few kills.

- Archer B aims high, hits with 20% of the arrows in medium range, but over half of those hit the head and give a kill.  Total damage dealt from this archer might actually be lower than the other guys, but you (seeing the headshots and the kills) think "WOAH THIS ARCHER IS PRO!".

Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: January 22, 2012, 05:26:00 pm »
- Archer B aims high, hits with 20% of the arrows in medium range, but over half of those hit the head and give a kill.  Total damage dealt from this archer might actually be lower than the other guys, but you (seeing the headshots and the kills) think "WOAH THIS ARCHER IS PRO!".

Yeah I was spectating Jambi and noticed that's how he gets a lot of his kills. Most of them are point blank head shots. Hardly ever fires at even a medium range target unless they are completely stationary. So much for that Jambi score proving anything  :rolleyes:

If you have to fire at point blank range to sucessfully hit...there is something very wrong.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: January 22, 2012, 05:35:12 pm »
Yeah I was spectating Jambi and noticed that's how he gets a lot of his kills. Most of them are point blank head shots. Hardly ever fires at even a medium range target unless they are completely stationary. So much for that Jambi score proving anything  :rolleyes:

If you have to fire at point blank range to sucessfully hit...there is something very wrong.

Long range fire needs to be done in volleys and large numbers to be effective, because bows aren't snipers (and they shouldn't be snipers). A clan might want to do some funny volley event with super cheap gear in order to outnumber the enemy, but I don't see that working very well with the damage reduction over long ranges.

Offline Lorenzo_of_Iberia

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Peloponnesian League
  • Game nicks: Lorenzo_of_Numidia , PL_Hoplitai_Lorenzo
« Reply #401 on: January 22, 2012, 05:38:18 pm »
Long range fire needs to be done in volleys and large numbers to be effective, because bows aren't snipers (and they shouldn't be snipers). A clan might want to do some funny volley event with super cheap gear in order to outnumber the enemy, but I don't see that working very well with the damage reduction over long ranges.

Sadly volleying is really only effective when you got the target relatively condensed, I cant see volley fire ever being a viable tactic in c-rpg unless a team 30 or so group behind a shield wall. Even then you might as well fire at will...
Your local Jav Cav

Looking for like Minded Hoplites? Look no further - http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,22631.0.html

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: January 22, 2012, 05:39:05 pm »

So bows are the medieval shotguns? I never knew...

Volley fire in pubby would be completely useless. That's a pretty daft idea Kafein.

Offline SquishMitten

• Baron
  • Renown: 132
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Waylander
  • Game nicks: Mew, Kitty + many more
« Reply #403 on: January 22, 2012, 05:39:57 pm »
+1
because bows aren't snipers (and they shouldn't be snipers).
+1
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

In memory of Merciless_Mew, member of Merciless, ruler of Istiniar

Offline LastKaze

• Baron
  • Renown: 126
  • Infamy: 38
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: LastKaze
  • IRC nick: LastKaze